Carnival tours at Colon Panama

tweety33

We are going on Carnival Freedom. I would like the feedback from anyone who has taken any of the 3 tours listed.

1.Embera Indian Village Exp. $90 3 hrs

2. Grand Tour $150 6.25 hr.

3. Panama City Tour $100 8 hrs.

The descriptions are very short and I would like to know more on what was seen & done & the whole experience to help me decide which we want to take. Thank you

Hi,

We're going on The Freedom on February 13 and think we might do the ferry boat through the locks. It's pricey, but we're pretty sure we won't be back to the Panama Canal again....once in this lifetime!

I will be searching these boards for reviews on that excursion, too.

We did the Carnival Embera Indian excursion last week - $90pp

The driver was smooth and efficient in a hectic traffic zone. The van guide-narrator, not so much. She seemed bored half the time and couldn't remember her facts most of the time. I felt like I was watching a high school speech class pop quiz. She tried to explain the canal history and workings but couldn't be heard clearly past the first two rows of seats. We rode through and out of Colon while she popped her gum and forgot her lines.(She was blissfully silent on the ride back). Hang in there, it gets better. She had no problem projecting her voice to point out the high rise slums with no electricity on top of the hill as we went past. I also caught that she was from Panama City and had little respect for the Colones who did little to maintain their city.(she repeated that point many times)

Before you write me off as a crank, know that we were comparing her to the girl who was our guide on a MUCH cheaper private excursion the day before in Costa Rica, who was as proud of her job and country as any US Marine could be, so Panama Pam (not her real name) here had a lot to live up to, and failed spectacularly.

After a 40 minute or so ride we stopped at a police station at a run down road crossing where the guide and driver went in to pay our group admission to the National Park (included in excursion price). We cooled our heels outside the station for a few minutes and then drove a few more minutes into the jungle. The van was parked alongside a few other vans at a creek/river (Rio Pilar? I believe). We piled out and stood in line along a gravel trail to get our life jackets for the canoe ride. A woman from our van wearing Crocs stepped slightly off the path and had a sharp stick go right through her shoe and deep into her foot. It looked awful but a little Bactine and a Bandaid and the woman was raring to go again. (I'd be going for a tetanus shot, but that's just me I guess). There was a small wooden landing used to board the dugout canoes, which seat 14 to 18 Embera people, or 6 to 8 persons of size as luck may have it. The "seats" are loosely placed 2x4's or 2x6's placed across the width of the canoe, and are free to slide around/off if you are unsteady during your entry/exit. Some of these rotted planks looked like they could have been salvaged from the Pinta. This became a much more important detail further upstream. The back of the dugout canoes have a 30hp outboard motor attached (for authenticity), ;) and the older/more "leaky" of the craft have a cute small Embara child assigned as bilge bailer/photo op provider. (Beware the craft with the small kids if you want dry calves/socks/shoes/etc, they frequently abandon bailing duty to dive in and play. While this is fun to watch, the river doesn't take breaks and continues to fill the canoe in their absence).

The river rarely appears greater than 4 feet deep and the current is not swift, so I never felt in danger should we capsize/sink. At one point about half way upriver it gets so shallow they make most everyone get out at a gravel sandbar (no steps/railing/platform/etc here) and hike for about 30 yards, then walk out on a pair of split logs to reboard. Minor wading over slick stones was required. The stick-in-Croc lady had herself a 2x6 malfunction upon reboarding, with her rotted seat plank loudly failing to hold it's rigid shape, depositing her bloody foot and muddy bottom loudly into the canoes bilgewater.

From this point forward we really really enjoyed the trip. After getting all the survivors back on board we went a few more minutes upstream through some spectacularly lush rain forest. Photos and movies couldn't possibly do it justice. Visible wildlife was minimal, but I expected that being the 4th or 5th successive loud motor launch to pass upriver in a short while.

The Embera village itself was wonderful, almost too picturesque, with a Disney Jungle Cruise ride type of feeling. I kept looking for the rubber Hippo's. The Embera took our life jackets and herded us into the central village Palapa (I don't know what they called it, but in Mexico it's a Palapa) for an introduction speech by the chief, translated by a guide from one of the other van's. They played music, sang songs and danced for us. Then they invited us to shop their handicrafts, which were primarily carvings and woven baskets, all beautifully made. I spent more money there on souvenirs then I have in my past 4 cruises combined, completely cleaning out one vendor of their carving work. If they accepted Visa I would have needed my own canoe to get it all back downriver.

The trip downstream was easy, with the motor off in the shallows and no wading required. We followed the same route back and except for experiencing the peak of traffic heading into Colon (40 minutes to go 5 miles), we made it back with about an hour to spare before we had to reboard.

Questions?

Glad you enjoyed the story, errr..... review. :) I forgot to add that the 3 hrs listed is a total crock, ours was over 4 and a half hours (10:00 am to 2:35 pm). It was nearly 1 pm when we were leaving the village to board canoes.

This duration was fine with me, but severely cramped the shopping plans for several in our group.

Did u book your tour in Panama through carnival? I looking to book the Indian tour/canal but w/ my friend mario. did u ever hear of him? I am wondering if there any good.

Our excursion in Panama was booked through Carnival, and while it was worth the money, did not compare well to the ones we booked on our own in Cozumel (Miguel at Dalila Divers http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html )

and Costa Rica(Danilo at Adventure Caribbean http://www.geocities.com/adventure_caribbean/index.html).

Hi,

Was it the village at Errebache - that is the trip we've booked through our cruise line from UK (P&O) at a cost of £46 each.

I emailed P&O regarding this village as I believe some of them are more like 'model villages' ,and, are empty apart from when tourists visit them. They said it was a genuine village albeit a fairly new one of a couple of years old.

Final question (or 2) - what currency did you use to make purchases - did they accept US$. Definately last question - did your health provider advise you to have the yellow fever vacc? I've had mine but my hubby's GP won't give it to him as it is not advised for the over 60's. We have all the oblig anti mossie sprays.

Hope you can answer questions for a 1st time (very excited) cruiser - only 4 wks to go Saturday.

Many thanks,

Anne

Hi,

Was it the village at Errebache - that is the trip we've booked through our cruise line from UK (P&O) at a cost of £46 each.

I emailed P&O regarding this village as I believe some of them are more like 'model villages' ,and, are empty apart from when tourists visit them. They said it was a genuine village albeit a fairly new one of a couple of years old.

Final question (or 2) - what currency did you use to make purchases - did they accept US$. Definately last question - did your health provider advise you to have the yellow fever vacc? I've had mine but my hubby's GP won't give it to him as it is not advised for the over 60's. We have all the oblig anti mossie sprays.

Hope you can answer questions for a 1st time (very excited) cruiser - only 4 wks to go Saturday.

Many thanks,

Anne

I have no idea of the name of the village, but as I noted in my review, it was almost "too picturesque", so I suspect it could have been a demonstration village. The bug spray is a must, especially near the latrines. Your healthcare provider should be the last word on vaccinations. US dollars were expected. Enjoy your holiday. :)

We also did the Embera Village a couple weeks ago. It was by far, my favorite excursion of 13 cruises. We originally booked through Anne Gordon, but she had to be out of the country and she paired us up with Jill Berger of Goldcoastpanama.com. She really made our day extremely informative. She was born and raised in the canal zone and told us the complete history of the canal and also the politics of the country. It was super personal and informative. As for the Embera Village, she had a personal relationship with the villagers and

we had just the best day. Even though there were some others there on their own tour, she made sure that we got the private tour that we booked. The people were great, especially the children. Everyone was so proud of the crafts that they made. We bought several things, but never felt pressured to buy anything. I had brought some toiletries and a backpack full of school supplies. Everyone was grateful for the items and so reserved and polite. No one grabbed anything, the elder woman in the village divided everything up.

We had time left until we had to be back on board, so Jill showed us around the Canal, another personalized tour. She grew up there and also was pointing out were the new expansion will be.

As far as a private tour, I was not nervous at all. These tour operators really on tourism and would never put you in jeopardy of missing the ship. Just do your research and go for it. We have gotten so much more out of tours for much less money. And with Cruise Critic as such a great resource, you can't go wrong.

If you contact Jill, please tell her that Lisaanne and Randy say "Hello".

Enjoy your day in Panama and don't listen to the people that say to stay on the ship because it is unsafe.

• 2 weeks later...
We also did the Embera Village a couple weeks ago. It was by far, my favorite excursion of 13 cruises. We originally booked through Anne Gordon, but she had to be out of the country and she paired us up with Jill Berger of Goldcoastpanama.com.quote]

We are booked with Anne Gordon for Feb. Was the village you went to the same as Anne's village. Can you give me an idea of driving time, then canoe time, etc. How long was your tour in total? How were your canoes? Any chance of getting wet feet, so we know what to wear on our feet. I read snorkel2's exchange, and figure he went to a different village than Anne's, but he got me worried about the canoes

Linda

We also did the Embera Village a couple weeks ago. It was by far, my favorite excursion of 13 cruises. We originally booked through Anne Gordon, but she had to be out of the country and she paired us up with Jill Berger of Goldcoastpanama.com.quote]

We are booked with Anne Gordon for Feb. Was the village you went to the same as Anne's village. Can you give me an idea of driving time, then canoe time, etc. How long was your tour in total? How were your canoes? Any chance of getting wet feet, so we know what to wear on our feet. I read snorkel2's exchange, and figure he went to a different village than Anne's, but he got me worried about the canoes

Linda

I was also wondering the exact same thing. After reading a lot, I have wondered if the village the cruise takes you to and the village Ann goes to are two different places.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised at how short the descriptions are on the Carnival site too, since all the other ports have lengthy write-ups of the excursions. We chose the Panama City tour, mainly because we wanted to see as much as possible while we are there.

Snorkle2much, I know have my other questions ready.

After all my research,I think I've finally decided to book the Carnival tour to Indian village tour.

We are advised to bring bug spray, toilet paper, sunscreen and water shoes, camera, money to buy there items for sale, anything else? Maybe water & snacks?

I think I will also bring some candy and something else for the kids there.

Did you feel you got to see other sites and parts of Panama on your journey to the village? Did you pass houses, town & etc?

Were you glad you did a carnival tour as apposed to an independent tour after seeing Panama first hand? I normally do independent tours also but want no worries in Panama.

Your tour left at 10:00, do you know if they had tours that left earlier in the morning that you can sign up for, since we arrive at 7am? Probably I should prebook on line in case it sells out.

How many people on your tour? Was it just a regular sized van? Was it air conditioned?

Thank you.

Snorkle2much, I know have my other questions ready.

After all my research,I think I've finally decided to book the Carnival tour to Indian village tour.

We are advised to bring bug spray, toilet paper, sunscreen and water shoes, camera, money to buy there items for sale, anything else? Maybe water & snacks?

A bottle of water maybe and a pre-packaged snack or two sounds good.

I think I will also bring some candy and something else for the kids there.

Make sure you get an OK from the kids Mom's first

Did you feel you got to see other sites and parts of Panama on your journey to the village?

Not really, the drive out of town was mainly warehouses and a few strip malls. Once out of town and into the hills it was kind of nice.(except for the roadside garbage)

Did you pass houses, town & etc?

Yes

Were you glad you did a carnival tour as apposed to an independent tour after seeing Panama first hand? I normally do independent tours also but want no worries in Panama.

Other than the immature tour guide, the tour was good. If the rest of the folks in our sailing party could have decided in advance whether they wanted to join us or not, I would have booked this privately.

Your tour left at 10:00, do you know if they had tours that left earlier in the morning that you can sign up for, since we arrive at 7am? Probably I should prebook on line in case it sells out.

There was an earlier time offered online several months prior to sailaway, but it must have sold out.

How many people on your tour? Was it just a regular sized van? Was it air conditioned?

Two double-sized or so vans, held about 25 people each. The A/C worked fine, but it was drizzly/rainy all day and never felt hot outside to this Florida boy. ;):D

Thank you.

My pleasure

I was surprised at how short the descriptions are on the Carnival site too, since all the other ports have lengthy write-ups of the excursions. We chose the Panama City tour, mainly because we wanted to see as much as possible while we are there.

Hey Lisa, East-sider here too!

We used My Friend Mario for a private tour in 2006. He took us to the locks and then the beach and a private island...great tour but very disorganized and we were concerned about getting back in time, though we did no problem.

In February 2010, we will be in Colon on the Carnival Freedom and have hired Rudy's Tours (not a ship sponsored tour) for a visit to the locks and the Embera Indians homeland. Last time we were in Colon, everyone raved about the Embera Indian tour. Rudy's Tours is at www.rudystours.com They seem to be a mom and pop shop but very organized and responsive. His price is $115.00 to $135.00 per person (depending on the total number of people) and is all inclusive, including lunch and fees.

• 2 months later...
We used My Friend Mario for a private tour in 2006. He took us to the locks and then the beach and a private island...great tour but very disorganized and we were concerned about getting back in time, though we did no problem.

In February 2010, we will be in Colon on the Carnival Freedom and have hired Rudy's Tours (not a ship sponsored tour) for a visit to the locks and the Embera Indians homeland. Last time we were in Colon, everyone raved about the Embera Indian tour. Rudy's Tours is at www.rudystours.com They seem to be a mom and pop shop but very organized and responsive. His price is $115.00 to $135.00 per person (depending on the total number of people) and is all inclusive, including lunch and fees.

We are just back from our CELEBRITY EQUINOX cruise and we called colon.

We booked with Rudy's Tour.

Some impressions:

Where North America meets South America:

2010XEQ060549-vi.jpg

2010XEQ060565-vi.jpg

2010XEQ060568-vi.jpg

2010XEQ060579-vi.jpg

The full review of the tour (now in English available) is here:

http://heinbloed-equinox.blogspot.com/2010/01/tag-62-in-colon-day-62-in-colon.html

http://heinbloed-equinox.blogspot.com/2010/01/tag-63-in-colon-day-63-in-colon.html

We had a great day. Rudy can offer you a tailor-made tour.

Have fun in Colón.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
Heinbloed thanks for sharing your panama pictures and review. We are thinking of doing this tour with Rudy now. Did you tip him in addition to the fee he charged?

We did - because he was also negotiating for us prices and he made sure that we find an internet place later.

But we did it after the tour as he collects the amount for the tour at the beginning of the tour.

So you should do it when you are satisfied.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

Went on the Embera Indian Tour last March, through Carnival. I think Snorkel2Much's description is pretty accurate, though I think we had a better tour guide. She was much more informative & talkative.

Some additional info to offer: the village itself is not that far down the river. I definitely felt like it was geared toward tourist stops. The canoes were carefully loaded for balance. I had to laugh to myself when one embera referred to me as "fat" when talking to the tour guide (he had no idea that I understood spanish). The dancing, etc was nice enough but nothing unusual. My favorite part was buying the jewelry, carvings, & basketry. I ran out of money though & was quite mad at myself for not bringing more (I think I had maybe $70 on me). The items were very reasonable & the ladies selling them were not pushy at all. I got a bunch of nice bead necklaces for about $5 each that I gave as souviners when I got home.

I mainly did this tour so that my kids could get an idea of what another culture lived like. I don't know that this short excursion really got that point across to my kids. Plus the tour guide told us on the way back into Colon that these indians live outside of their village a good part of the time - going to school & such in the local towns, in regular houses, wearing regular clothes, etc. They just change out into their tribal gear when they return to their village (& have tourists visit).

One last thing to say, our tour did go over time as well. We got back very close to the departure time but because we were on a Carnival cruise excursion, the ship was aware that we were running late & so we were not at risk of being left behind.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived