Back from Fantasy 11/05-11/09 out of NOLA

Rocknsoul

The positives: the ship was spotless, even though the crew had their hands full with all the vomiting going on. Sorry. There was just a lot of it. But they kept well on top of it. Our room steward was the best we've had yet. She was more like a butler than a steward! She kept checking on us, did extra things without being asked, and even nursed us a bit when we needed it! She was truly a joy. The day in Cozumel was fun, even though it rained--after 6 weeks of rain in Memphis, I was really looking forward to some sunshine, alas--but DH & I (since we got a break from being tossed around) had fun swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, & playing on the water toys at Paradise Beach, even though it was overcast & rained a couple of times. Apparently the rest of the island got deluged...we drove through a few ponds on the way back to the ship. It was too short, though, since the ship had to leave early to outrun Ida. When we got back on the ship, before sailaway, we went down the waterslides a few times & that was fun. During sailaway from Coz, I was completely mesmerized by that gorgeous blue water, and how the agitation of the propellers turns the water bright blue. I will never tire of that!

The crew on the Fantasy is almost unreal in how friendly and cordial they all are. Our waiter, Redempto, was excellent--not the most outgoing person, but extremely polite and warm. And competent. The maitre d' (Stan the Man) gave us a table for 2 at DH's request, and he always addressed us, as well as came over to the table more than once. The gym was great, and the sauna & steam room helped DH a lot. I love the bathrobes that come in each stateroom. Very plush & comfortable.

However, since the minute we left the Mississippi River, the ship lurched around, and it was constant until we were a couple of miles from Cozumel. I usually love the rocking during the night, and I have never been seasick in my life (even through 20-foot swells--although they didn't last all that long), but the first night I woke up to the ship lurching & couldn't get back to sleep. The first sea day, after breakfast & a little shopping, as well as trying to repair my sunglasses, DH felt horrible. We both felt it all in our heads, thank goodness, and no nausea, but that was the first of Lilia's (our steward's) bright moments. We passed her in the hallway, I mentioned DH wasn't feeling well, and within minutes she had brought medication. Since it was difficult to walk around the ship, we stayed in the room & slept until it was time for dinner. We didn't dress formally, but we dressed maybe a step up from church. There were very few people dressed super formally, but everyone I saw looked really great. In fact, every night in the DR people were dressed very nicely.

We went back to bed after dinner, and woke up in Cozumel. When we left Cozumel, we had smooth seas for about half an hour, then the lurching started again. Apparently we had 12-foot swells & 40 mph winds the entire time we were in the Gulf--on the way there & on the way back. After elegant night dinner, we watched the comedian (who DH really liked), but unfortunately staring at a man in the front of the ship while it's lurching is NOT good for an already dizzy head. :p We went straight to bed (and Lilia brought us medication every 12 hours...I'm telling you, she was our nurse!) and ordered room service the next morning. I stayed in bed all day. I didn't have a good response to the medication. Once that wore off, I was fine. We went to play a little blackjack (I had won $100 playing poker the first night) & went to dinner. By then, though the ship was still lurching, I was okay, but DH was still a bit of a mess. Some of the shows after the first night were altered, because it was unsafe for the dancers.

As I'm typing this, 2 days later, my head is still spinning. I'm not kidding. The first time we went on the Fantasy, it was smooth as could be, even with the occasional swells. This time I felt like the SS Minnow in the Gilligan's Island opening credits.:o

We noticed that the first night, it seemed like there were a number of very loud people onboard. I don't mind loud too much, but there's a time and a place for restraint to be appropriate. Especially the next table over from us in the dining room, where 2 men at 2 different tables had an extended conversation with each other by yelling across the room. After the first night, there were no more loud people. I guess they were too sick to be loud.:) It was very, very quiet during the whole cruise. I was impressed by the camaraderie displayed at the liquor tasting: everyone there was freely passing the liquor around, no pushing, no worries...just a big group of people having fun & making new friends. The food didn't seem quite as good as the last time we were on Fantasy, but there were still some very good dishes. The melting cake came out perfectly every night. The Mongolian Grill is a great addition, and the sushi had improved over last time.

DH & I got lots of talk time & snuggle time, and sleep. On the way home, we found out the Triumph was delayed a day due to Ida & they were taking 50% off the sailing. We came thisclose to booking the family to go! We would have left this morning. The kids have off today anyway (Hug a veteran today!). But sanity took over & we'll wait.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining too much. Like I said, we're glad we went, and even some veteran cruisers (40+) said they had never been in seas this bad, this continously. So we know it was particularly bad. It's unfortunate that the first-time cruisers we met will likely never cruise again, even though we tried to convince them it wasn't usually like this. We really did get lots of rest & I loved being pampered & not having to cook, clean, etc. :)

I hope everyone in Mobile (and Charleston) enjoys the Fantasy as much as we did, and we look forward to sailing on Triumph!

that weather stinks! Ive never been seasick and love the waves. Wonder how I wouldve felt. Glad you had an awesome cabin steward, hope you wrote that on the comment card so she can get recognized :)

BTW I love your dane

We did the comments & tipped her extra.

Thanks! My Dane, Thunder, is a big ol' sweetie & a big baby.:D He's an awesome dog.

Awww. Mine is Zeus (blue Merle) he is dozing peacefully on the couch at the moment :) Ive been warning him everyday that next week he goes to Grandmas for our cruise :)

When we were on the Fantasy last fall I too noticed ALOT of loud people. Fortunatly or not they didnt get sick the cruise and were loud every day. On day 3 there was a man yelling for BooBoo . BooBoo was about 8 cabins down so that is quite aways. I opened our door and nicely asked if he wanted to talk to BooBoo to walk himself down there! It was like really early!

There was also a game between Alabama and somewhere else close ( maybe gators?) on Tv so it got really wild and crazy that night.

Awww. Mine is Zeus (blue Merle) he is dozing peacefully on the couch at the moment :) Ive been warning him everyday that next week he goes to Grandmas for our cruise :)

Hope you have a wonderful time! Thunder gets so upset whenever we leave, and we know he's feeling emotional when he finds a "woobie"...one of the stuffed animals around the house:

DSC_0016.jpg.e465fc89cefe26a54f3273e6e017fa23.jpg

Oh MY gosh so handsome. Our zeus doesnt play with toys. He just loves sleeping on the couch, getting scratched and running around outside for about 5 minutes then he comes back in to relax.

Dont worry he loves going to Grandmas. She has two smaller dogs and he gets to go ruckus with them for a week. Plus her yard is fenced so he gets to run a bit more if he wants to with them. If I ask him if he wants to see Chance ( moms dog) he gets excited. I always takes treats to share too. I get nervous worrying about him like a kid. He is 5 now so im paranoid I guess. It is funny how sensitive they are.

Hello from Memphis!! Sorry to hear about the rough seas. I have been on the Fantasy 3 times and look forward to going on her again out of Mobile... before she moves to NC! We are also looking forward to the Triumph.

I really like your smoke free thingy..was wondering where you got that and if I could use it...I too have quit and a reminder everyday would be awesome to see what I am saving and how far I have come....:D

Apparently we had 12-foot swells & 40 mph winds the entire time we were in the Gulf--on the way there & on the way back. After elegant night dinner, we watched the comedian (who DH really liked), but unfortunately staring at a man in the front of the ship while it's lurching is NOT good for an already dizzy head

Sorry you had a rough sea leg... I was on the Holiday this spring(March) and the Caribbean was as rough as any time in the past. And we didn't have any storms~~!!~~

Archived