Help! Could my 2 year olds get sea sick?

computerkitten

Could my 2 year olds get sea sick? The pediatrician said there is really nothing that could be given to them but I wanted to check with those of you that have traveled with children around this age. If thats the case...not sure what I would do!

Thanks,

CK

Sure they could! Kids can get car-sick -- same thing, a problem with the inner ear and eyes not quite coordinated, balance thrown off, and tummy gets queasy, just like what happens with adults!

I don't know remedies for kids..but I know that folks here will help!

I'm a pharmacist by trade... You should ask your doctor about the use of Benadryl for motion sickness... if you want to go the drug route

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is used to treat sneezing; runny nose; itching, watery eyes; hives; rashes; itching; and other symptoms of allergies and the common cold.

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

For motion sickness, a dose is usually taken 30 minutes before motion, then with meals and at bedtime for the duration of exposure.

Benadryl is one of the few anti-cholinergics indicated for children under the age of 2.

The problem with Benadryl, of course, is that while it'll help with all these symptoms... and motion sickness... it'll most likely make the child very drowsy (which, in the case of seasickness, might be a bonus)

Of course, there's always ginger, or candied ginger... which helps with nausea... that's all natural.

Benadryl works for motion sickness because it is in the same chemical family as Bonine... It's just been studied longer in it's use for kids. All the over-the-counter motion sickness pills, whether they're Meclizine (Bonine/Dramamine-less drowsy), Dimenhydramine (Dramamine), or Cyclizine (Bonine-Kids) are related chemically to Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). They're all anti-cholinergics that have the same basic properties of varying degrees.

EDIT:

And hopefully, you won't hit any bad weather whatsoever... Just beautiful blue Caribbean skies!

:D

EDIT2:

... and in the unlikely event you DO find your child getting seasick... make sure they're hydrated... vomiting tends to dehydrate children pretty quickly... what's worse is that when they feel awful, they might not necessarily WANT to drink anything... So be vigilant!

I have read here that smaller children are not as apt to get sea sick as older kids/adults because their center is so much lower. Some people have suggested ginger pops or ginger candy.

My girls have been on quite a few cruises, including two very rocky ones, and have had no problem, but they don't tend to get sick in the car either.

Best,

Mia

My daughter has been on three cruises from the age of 9 months - 2 years old and never had a problem (including a somewhat rough transatlantic cruise at 2).

She does get VERY car sick and throws up in the car all the time!

So who knows...I think it's a crapshoot, but I haven't seen too many sea sick toddlers.

My son is almost 3 and has been on 7 cruises. He has vomited twice on a cruise when he was about 14 months and then again when he was just 2. The first time were just done with dinner and were thinking about desert when he suddenly vomited. It was a very rocky night and alot of people were sick. Luckily it all went in his high chair tray. I took him back to the cabin and DH stayed behind to let the waitstaff know what had happened. He was fine and happy after that and never had any other symptoms of illness. We had another similar experience with him on another cruise. I don't really know if it was seasickness or not, but it seems like it was since there were never any other signs of illness and both times the ship was rocking.

I have children who only have to look at a car to start throwing up lol! We have a real tendency to get sea sick. I took a cruise to Antarctica before I met my husband, and I threw up more times that I can count both directions.

Unless you're on an unusually small ship and/or you hit rough weather, it should be fine.

We were on a 10 day Med cruise and no one had a hint of motion sickness.

Archived