Snorkling....

Kathfish

Help me.

Coming into Bermuda begininng of June on the Dawn.

Me, 17yr old, 10yr old, 8yr old.

No experience at all with snorkling. I hear so many options, do it with a group, on an excursion, do it alone at one of the beaches, rent equipment, bring equipment....

My first inclination is to do it alone, if possible. SO.... is Horseshoe Beach a good place to do this? Equipment - seriously, is it just a mask and that tubey, mouthpiece thing that I have a zillion of because we always forget to bring ours when we go to the beach and end of buying another? Like a kid thing... $10 or so?

Do I have the right idea or am I setting my family up for disappointment?

Help!

:)

Thx

Horeshoe Bay is not the best place to snorkel. Tobacco Bay would be MUCH better since it more of a sheltered cove with a good area being only waist deep water. There are deep areas for the more adventurous. You can easiely do it on your own at TB.

Snorkel equipment is just the mask and the tubey thing and I have seen people snorkel with very basic equipment and you may be able to get away with what you have. They also rent gear at Tobacco Bay for around $15.

If you are at Dockyard, you can take the ferry to St. George and either walk the 10 minutes or so to Tobacco or take a cab which is not expensive.

Sorry caribsun, I do not recommend Church Bay for someone who has no experience with snorkeling, especially if they have children to look after. We LOVE Church Bay but often it can be rough. One can get bounced around quite a bit so you must be very careful.

OP, there is also the option of Snorkel Park which is right at Dockyard. Not a real beautiful beach but it is convenient. There may or may not be a $5 charge to enter......seems there is no rhyme or reason as to when they charge or don't.

Sorry caribsun, I do not recommend Church Bay for someone who has no experience with snorkeling, especially if they have children to look after.

Not only can it be rough, but the bottom is rough and rocky -- I would only go there with shoes I could wear in the water.

Help me.

Coming into Bermuda begininng of June on the Dawn.

Me, 17yr old, 10yr old, 8yr old.

No experience at all with snorkling. I hear so many options, do it with a group, on an excursion, do it alone at one of the beaches, rent equipment, bring equipment....

My first inclination is to do it alone, if possible. SO.... is Horseshoe Beach a good place to do this? Equipment - seriously, is it just a mask and that tubey, mouthpiece thing that I have a zillion of because we always forget to bring ours when we go to the beach and end of buying another? Like a kid thing... $10 or so?

Do I have the right idea or am I setting my family up for disappointment?

Help!

:)

Thx

If you have no experience and want to make the best of your time, go with these folks. They are great and not expensive, You and the kids will have a ball.

www.jessiejames.bm

Hi Kathfish,

Have to agree with the Jesse James trip seeing there's a group of you with kids. I think they'll pick you up at the cruise ship dock and their boat has a glass bottom viewing area too. It's a good trip - not sure about the prices, but send them an email for details.

Have Fun!

IHeart,

You are just such a smart@$$.

But we love you anyway!

32N64W

I'm glad SOMEONE does.:p

Don't know what the OP may want to spend but the cost will add up for the family. However, Jesse James always gets rave reviews and everyone says it's worth it.:)

Just to add one more thing. I always look at it from my perspective the first time I went snorkeling........and maybe that's wrong. I had a bit of a time getting used to breathing through my mouth while my face was in the water. We were at Tobacco Bay where I could walk around and get used to the whole thing. If we had been out in the open water on an excursion, I don't think I could have done it and it would have been a waste of money.

Hmmm... lots to think about....

Cost is def a big consideration. Not that I mind spending the money, but I worry, like iheartbda, first time for all of us, who knows how much we will "get" it. And really, it would be over $200 for the four of us. That's a bit o bucks.

Tobacco Bay sounds good.

I will keep poking around, reading posts. I appreciate everyones input SO much!

Hi Kathfish,

Actually, I hadn't considered IHeart's excellent point that if you are not used to snorkeling, the ability to just stand up if you get uncomfortable, as you can at Tobacco Bay, would be a big plus.

But I've just checked Jesse James's site and they can give you these buoyancy jackets, so you just sort of hang there in the water with no effort.

Plus, you'll see a lot more on their trips than you would at Tobacco Bay.

All weighed up, I'd say it's probably money well spent to go with the trip.

After all, the whole idea is to...

Have fun!

Kathfish,

I stand by my recommendation for Tobacco Bay or Snorkel Park. Even if you would rent the gear, you're only going to spend $60 and everyone can go at their comfort level.Tobacco Bay has enough areas that, anyone who gets it right away will be happy. If you take your own gear, it will cost zero.:D

BTW, I find the gear can be easily packed in between clothing or nooks and crannies of a suitcase.

Not fighting with you 32, but we were posting at the same time.:D

During a recent trip to Bermuda we snorkeled at Church Bay and I agree that it is not a great spot for the unexperienced or for children. It was a bit rough getting in and out of the water there, but the snorkeling was great.

We did an excursion with SnorkelBermuda.com and had a wonderful time. Sonny, the operator, takes a small group of about 10, has all the equipment and takes the time with inexperienced snorkelers. I also noticed he kept a close eye on everyone while in the water. It was a great excursion and for $45 per person, was well worth it. We snorkeled over a spot with 2 ship wrecks, very interesting and lots of fish.

• 3 months later...

going to Bermuda in July on Exploer of the seas

1 day 8a - 5p

Would love to hit Horeshoe Beach...thinking of getting their for about 10:00a and staying till about 1p then going to snorkel park for the kids to do some snorkeling (9 and 11yrs old) for a couple of hours b4 getting back on the boat.

Does this sound doable for the day??

lisa

Archived