Nativeway's Stingray and Island Tour

ladycajuncruiser

We sailed on the Conquest 1/16. We booked Nativeway's Stingray and Island Tour. They were great. We did the Island Tour first. Our driver's name was Clint and he was excellent but my favortie part of the tour was the Stingrays. Our guides were Thomas and AAllan. I forgot the videographer's name. Anywho, there were 19 people on the boat, our group of 8 and another group of 11. They took us to the sandbar and got into the water with us. Thomas and Aallan caught some rays for us to hold and gave us a very interactive lesson about all aspects of the life of stingrays. They taught us how to feed them from our hands. Anything you wanted to know and more. We got stingray back massages and kisses. They spent the whole time in the water with us. We were very impressed. They were so good that people from some of the other tours keep coming over asking them questions and wanting our guys to get rays for them. After the tour was over, they got us back to the tender with lots of time to spare. Everytime we are fortunate enough to visit Grand Cayman we will book with Nativeway. The tours are very personal and you never feel rushed. It was a great day. I can't wait until our dvd comes in.

Thanks ladycajuncruiser! We were just looking at the website for Nativeway to do the Stringray and Island Tour. I came to this board to see if anyone had anything to say about them and there was your thread. I guess I should check out their site some more, but did you have to pay up front when you booked or when you got there. Also, was there alot of walking on this excursion? We have some older people with us and I would like to be able to give them some insight. Sometimes they won't book the excursion if they aren't sure about walking/stairs.

Thanks - Gail

we were in GC on the 26th and did the stingray and grand island tour. We had to do some walking, turtle farm and rum factory are side by side. and we did have to get out at Hell to tour area there. the stingray tour was awesome. I can't recall any names except Heather who was doing the video taping. We had 9 people in our tour group. We liked that it was small groupings. The ship captain let my sister drive the boat for a while and she really liked that. It was a good day.

Thanks for the great words about Nativeway.. We used their services about a year and a half ago and are cruising to GC again in March and are already booked with them again.. When we went they werent doing the videotaping, so Im glad to hear they do that now.. That will be great to get our family on tape with the stingrays.. Do you know the approx price?

Guest Time2gocruzn

I booked this tour for our upcoming stop in GC! Glad to hear you liked it! Where all did you stop on the island tour? Did you feel you had enough time with the rays? Were there any small kids on this tour? Where did you get lunch? I know it is not included, so I just wondered if they give you time to get something. After your tour with NW did you have enough time to shop around in GC? Sorry for all the ?'s. Really looking forward to this excursion:)

I have this tour booked for 3/27/05 and was wondering about the time of the tour also. We arrive at 12:00 (Star Princess) will they wait for us, will we be back in time? What if the tender takes too long?? I'm getting nervous just thinking about it.

We went to the turtle farm, Rum factory (yes ,we had time to go inside and buy stuff), and Hell and also saw the Governors home as well as a homestead. We had plenty of time to swim with the rays and the DVD was $45.00. If you let them know you are going to buy the DVD they will get a lot of footage of your family. If you have any more ?? just post and I will check back. Eldon and Sharon (owners of Nativeway) are fantastic. We didn't eat lunch on our tour but ate when we got back on the ship. I hope all of you have a wonderful time, wish I was there now.

Mindy

I have this tour booked for 3/27/05 and was wondering about the time of the tour also. We arrive at 12:00 (Star Princess) will they wait for us, will we be back in time? What if the tender takes too long?? I'm getting nervous just thinking about it.

You already booked this tour with Nativeway? The Stingray City/Island Tour starts at 9:00. Our ship arrives at 9:00 (8:00 GC time in April), and Nativeway told me we wouldn't be able to get off the ship in time.

Hi, Yes I've already booked the tour, our boat arrives at 12:00 and the tour begins at 1:30 and ends at 5:30, our boat begins departing at 6:30, so I was worried but they(Sharon) assures me that we will have plenty of time. Hope shes right!! Marge

We got the dvd and it was wonderful. The boat we were on the YO-YO, had 20 of us on it. My husband was constantly worried about making it back to the Conquest on time but they dropped us off right next to the tender line. Nativeway is great. The whole tour was so much more than we expected. :D I will always use them when we are in GC.

Crazyforcrusin,

When are you going to Grand Cayman? I have some of the same concerns as your family members in regards to walking and stairs. I use a scooter and am trying to figure out what is suitable for me to do. I will be there in October 2005. I would love to hear about your experience when you get back.

Rascal rider Ruth

Rascal Rider Ruth we are leaving in 2 weeks for our cruise!!!! We will be in GC on Thursday March 3. We are booked with Nativeway Water Sports. When we get back I will let you know what is involved with the boats and the bus for touring. We don't have anyone in our group using scooters, but we do have a few that are elderly (70's & 80's) that have had some health problems recently (mini strokes, by-pass surgery etc..) and others like my mother with knee problems that make climbing stairs and walking long distances very difficult.

Gail

Thanks, Gail...

I would love to know how everything works out for you and your family. I would also like to know where the tender dock is, if there are any attractions, stores, parks, etc somewhat near the dock, if there are curb cuts for wheelchairs and a safe place to drive them. Also, if you happen to spot any wheelchair taxis, buses, etc, could you make note of them for me. I have decided to contact Nativeways and ask if they can accommodate me. I was planning on staying away from Stingray city and snorkeling tours, but the more comments I read about Stingray City, I figure that it is probably worth going even if I don't get in the water! I will be looking for a land tour in conjunction with it. What land attractions are scheduled for your tour? Any steps involved?

Greatful for any heads up you can give me!

Rascal rider Ruth

I was just in GC last Wednesday and Nativeways Island and Stingray City tour was great. I just wanted to say that make sure you leave yourself lots of time to stand in line to get a tender back to the ship. We had to wait in line about an hour to get a tender. We got in line at 2pm, it took until 3pm to get a tender and we had to back on the ship by 3:30pm, so leave yourselves lots of time the lines are VERY long starting 2 hours before the ship leaves.

Andrea

Trust me...you won't be sorry you booked with Nativeways. We used them on our Victory cruise last May. They were wonderful. Our ship didn't start tendering until hours after scheduled, and they WAITED for us! Totally professional, from start to finish. You can't go wrong!!

We loved 'em so much, we're using them again in December when we return on the RCCL Legend of the Seas!

Just read your post. Yes my mom was with us. We really enjoyed it. Already book another cruise for next January for DH and I and plan on taking him to stingray city.

The pictures that were taken for me came out Great!! a big thanks for your guys taking them for me.

Dawn

Archived