Zaandam Condition

Chelsea1

Hi, I am looking at the Asia cruises for Feb/March 2012 on the Zaandam, the itinerary is great. This will be our first time with Holland America (previously with Cunard, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean) so I have been researching the reviews.

The recent ones on the Zaandam seem to be quite poor regarding the ship's condition, furnishings, and particularly the foul smell in the veranda suites.

Is this really true?

I know these reviews are subjective - we did a 13 night Asia cruise on Legend of the seas last year and I was really worried by the reviews, but the ship was fine and it was a great holiday.

Interested to hear a balanced review from anyone who has been on the Zaandam recently.

I was on Zaandam in mid June. There were in fact some easily visible signs of wear - heavy rust around the frames of several windows in the main dining room, well worn carpeting and frayed material on the sofa in our verandah cabin (deck 6). Also, starting the 3rd day of the cruise, there was an increasing apparent sewage smell on the lower decks, mid-ship. We avoided it as much as we could by staying away from those areas, but I'm an outdoor walker and it was pretty smelly walking the promenade deck from day 3 on. These things certainly were not enough to ruin the trip (although had I been in a cabin nearer that smell, I would most likely think differently), but they were indeed noticeable.

Thanks for your reply, I must admit it does concern me. Tatty upholstery is okay, but rusty windows and bad sewage smells are unacceptable (there is always Costa Classica on the same itinerary for that :)).

Seriously though, I assume HAL as a premium line are addressing these problems before the longer length far east cruises start?

I guess the best solution will be to contact HAL direct and raise concerns regarding the condition of the ship.

Hmmm...call me a bit skeptical, but I doubt that HAL would say "yes, we have a problem with the marine sanitation system on that ship".

I don't see HAL as a premium product. Our TA marketed it to us as a good value within the other mass market products available and the best choice for what we wanted to see in Alaska and in that regard, she was correct.

As I said earlier, although the signs of wear were readily apparent they didn't detract from my enjoyment of the cruise. I didn't spend my time looking for things that were broken or needed attention, these things just stuck out. Our verandah cabin was really very nice and I greatly enjoyed relaxing in a little bit of outdoor privacy...I even slept out there a couple of nights. Every one of the crew members that we met were delightful, and our few service requests were promptly and cheerfully fulfilled. Our cabin steward was concerned because we asked for so little. I tried to explain to him that we were really low maintenance, but I don't I was able to make him understand.

Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you will have a good time.

Is Zaandam up for dry dock soon? Any ideas why this ship is getting so many negative remarks? Is it the one that's gone without refurbishing the longest?

I started a thread a while ago on this subject and got limited response - but which included the remarks by TAZ.

I had spotted a weeks gap in the ship's itinerary - prior to her OCT 30th clockwise circular cruise around the Pacific - and asked did anyone know if this might mean a cleanup before leaving on such a long cruise.:rolleyes:

Someone did say that she was drydocked in Jan 2010 - and another suggested - that the 7 day gap might be a private charter of the ship - and another - that she wasnt on the list of planned DDs:confused:

Its been almost 2 months since someone gave a review of this ship - which were mixed.

We are on the 14 day Treasures of the Pacific section and its taken us a long time to save - for what might be our last cruise.:(:(

The Zaandam is chartered for a Rhythm and Blues concert departing San Diego from 23-30 October, which is fully sold out, so no dry dock.

http://bluescruise.com/?page_id=715

Itinerary:

Oct. 23: San Diego, CA | Depart 5:00p | Hometown Blues

Oct. 24: Bluesin’ At Sea | Soul Blues / Wig Night

Oct. 25: Cabo San Lucas | 10:00a – 6:00p | Legendary Gear

Oct. 26: La Paz | 9:00a – 7:00p | Summer Of Love / “Harry Hippie”

Oct. 27: Loreto | 9:00a – 7:00p | I Put A Spell On You

Oct. 28: Bluesin’ At Sea | Carnival

Oct. 29: Bluesin’ At Sea | Casual / Pajama

Oct. 30: San Diego, CA | Arrive 7:00a | Welcome Home

We are also going on zaandam asia cruise jan 2012 the last couple of threads dont sound that good ,I thought HAL was a 5 star cruiseline, please if you been on the zaandam give us your hopefully positive feedback,many thanks

I know it doesn't help right now, but we are leaving on the Zaandam on Sunday, I promise to give a full report when I get back. I also am concerned, based on what I have read -- but I consider myself to be a fair judge of things. I am not concerned about some carpet stains, or "wear". I am concerned about sewage smells. We are lower decks, mid ship, interior cabin...so if there is a smell, we should be able to report back on it. I think more interesting in the review section, it is either a 5 star cruise or a 1 star cruise...I guess it really depends on your outlook on life!

If you have anything specific you want me to look at or "notice", let me know and I'll try to make sure I check it out!!

That would be great to have a balanced review - I agree the others seem to be either very good or awful. An honest 3.5 to 4.0 star would be fine for me!

I am definitely interested in the smell/general sanitation maitenance and air con. as real problems here in a very hot and humid region would be unacceptable. Also the general condition of the ship's infrastructure. Soft furnishings less of an interest. Also reports on food, which always seem to be good on HAL ships.

As I mentioned earlier, we did a 2 week Asia on Legend of the Seas last November and most of the reviews beforehand were really bad. I did email RCL after booking to express concern and they assured me the ship was well maintained. It was fine, obviously older (1995) but in good condition and very clean and the buffet was very good. I honestly did not recognise it from some of the reviews - we were preparing to travel on a filthy tub!

The Zaandam Asia itineraries are really interesting, but with such long flights and time off work it is important to have a decent ship.

I also meant to add that I do appreciate the differences between cruise lines and ships. The food quality in the main dining room on RCCL Legend was way below Cunard, but the buffet was great with some really authentic Asian specialities which suited the region, as did the relaxed atmosphere. I thought the shore excursions on Celebrity and the ship maintenance were superb, but the service actually a bit too over the top at times. Nothing can surpass the QM2 as a ship. The QE2 was just about to be retired when we went on her and we survived the Bay of Biscay in a creaking room with no balcony, but the experience and nostalgia were priceless. Just looking for HAL to provide a good experience overall.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were just on the Zaandam in July and we didn't notice any real issues with the ship. In fact, while we were on ship we saw a lot of work being done on it. The were sanding down doors, doing some painting and all kinds of work.

Food was great, service was fantastic.

Just thought I'd give my two cents on this topic.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide

We were on the Zaandam in April for a 14 day Sea of Cortez cruise and had no issues whatsoever. The ship was clean with on going maintenance happening daily.

We are retuning to the Zaandam on Sept 25th for a 17 day Hawaii Circle cruise. We will be in the sister cabin to the one we had on our Mexican cruise on deck 7 aft. Really looking forward to it and hope to see some of the same staff.

We had the late seating in the dining room and enjoyed the food. We did eat at the Pinnacle a couple of nights, one of them being the Le Cirque. Way too large portions but great taste.

Rockfan2

We sailed the Zaandam 8/7/11 - 8/14/11. I had not seen this thread prior to going, or I would have paid a little more attention.

We noticed no smells or other "issues" throughout our stay on the ship. The ship seemed to be in generally good condition. I have not cruised extensively (this was my 3rd cruise in 10 years) to know how this compares to other ships. What it looked like to me was a one of those hotels that has been operating for a while and it is about time for a "refresh". New carpet, new paint, etc. They were painting our balcony the day we arrived at our destination (started before everyone had vacated).

Staying strictly on topic, and basing this comment solely on the condition of the ship and our room, I would happily sail the Zaandam again and would have no reservations recommending it to someone else, based upon our experience.

-Matt

Someone did say that she was drydocked in Jan 2010

That is indeed the case - Zaandam was in drydock here in SF for two weeks in Jan 2010. I was aboard in Feb 2010 and you couldn't tell what had been done to the ship because it was in such poor condition:

Rust, frayed upholstery & carpets, damaged artwork, broken shipboard clock system, burnt out lighting, broken tilework, filthy spa, etc, etc. etc. Only thing that you could tell had been done is that the dining room chairs were replaced with larger, heavier pieces.

I wouldn't consider booking that ship again until after it's been in a significant drydock - not due till sometime next year, I believe.

Many thanks for the last replies :) - the word "Tiredness" springs to mind

Ah well !! -- the bookings been made and paid for - based upon Aussie reports on Zaandam's sister ship Volendam and her trips from Australia over 2 years

Hal are bringing Zaandam to Australia for the first time - after lots of press announcments that HAL are going for the Aussie cruise market - BIG Time - opening it's own Offices here - with 2 ships next year - The Zaan and the Volen Damms.

I hope they don't make a blue with the Zaandam's "tiredness" - because we have long memories of cruise lines going bust - after not treating the Antipodean market seriously.:rolleyes:

I know it doesn't help right now, but we are leaving on the Zaandam on Sunday, I promise to give a full report when I get back. I also am concerned, based on what I have read -- but I consider myself to be a fair judge of things. I am not concerned about some carpet stains, or "wear". I am concerned about sewage smells. We are lower decks, mid ship, interior cabin...so if there is a smell, we should be able to report back on it. I think more interesting in the review section, it is either a 5 star cruise or a 1 star cruise...I guess it really depends on your outlook on life!

If you have anything specific you want me to look at or "notice", let me know and I'll try to make sure I check it out!!

Just to say are you back from your cruise on zaandam? Was wondering how you found the ship?Hopefully you enjoyed/? we are going on her in Jan and not heard much positive yet,Interested to know what you thought,many thanks ,

I wrote a review, but it hasn't appeared yet. In brief, we really enjoyed our Zaandam cruise, but yes, the ship is a bit tired. So, it sort of depends on how picky you are.

The windows were quite dirty in the lower staterooms, most you could barely see through. The red carpet was frayed and just looked terrible. And there was a bad sewer smell one day midship, decks 1, 2 and 3 (maybe others as well). However, none of these things were really that bad and could easily be ignored.

There was quite a bit of work going on to keep the ship clean, constant maintenance. There is obviously some big project happening on the promenade, deck 3 as there were huge piles of equipment. However, it didn't get in the way of walking and the promenade was open most days with wonderful views. (only closed one day)

On the upside, the staff was really wonderful. Probably the nicest crew I've ever sailed with. We also found the food to be wonderful. And there are really nice places to be outside and see the scenery. The ship also never seemed crowded, definitely more intimate than the huge ships.

We would sail the Zaandam again if the itinerary was what we wanted.

(Teen club was fantastic!!)

I appreciate people's positive attitudes regarding not letting the negatives bother you on your vacation. I get that and I think it's the right thing to do... for the sake of your vacation and your sanity (can't let the little things get you down).

However, when I hear about sewage smells, torn/worn carpeting and very dirty windows (so bad that you can't see outside)... it gets me thinking.

Yes, if you happened to end up on a ship like this, it's best to not let it ruin your vacation. However if you read the reviews, why would you knowingly invest so much hard-earned money to cruise on a ship in this condition when there are other options?

Personally, I'd look elsewhere, but I'm not saying you're doing something "wrong". I would honestly like to hear people's opinions.

I wrote a review, but it hasn't appeared yet. In brief, we really enjoyed our Zaandam cruise, but yes, the ship is a bit tired. So, it sort of depends on how picky you are.

The windows were quite dirty in the lower staterooms, most you could barely see through. The red carpet was frayed and just looked terrible. And there was a bad sewer smell one day midship, decks 1, 2 and 3 (maybe others as well). However, none of these things were really that bad and could easily be ignored.

There was quite a bit of work going on to keep the ship clean, constant maintenance. There is obviously some big project happening on the promenade, deck 3 as there were huge piles of equipment. However, it didn't get in the way of walking and the promenade was open most days with wonderful views. (only closed one day)

On the upside, the staff was really wonderful. Probably the nicest crew I've ever sailed with. We also found the food to be wonderful. And there are really nice places to be outside and see the scenery. The ship also never seemed crowded, definitely more intimate than the huge ships.

We would sail the Zaandam again if the itinerary was what we wanted.

(Teen club was fantastic!!)

Thanks for reply,I look forward to reading your review(wonder why it hasnt appeared yet,) Will just make the most of it been looking forward to this cruise for a long time,by Jan they might have put some of the negitive points right,lets hope so,Glad you enjoyed and it didnt put you of.would you go on zaandam again? thanks again and if anyone else has just come back would be interesting to know their views,Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for reply,I look forward to reading your review(wonder why it hasnt appeared yet,) Will just make the most of it been looking forward to this cruise for a long time,by Jan they might have put some of the negitive points right,lets hope so,Glad you enjoyed and it didnt put you of.would you go on zaandam again? thanks again and if anyone else has just come back would be interesting to know their views,Thanks.

In the way of a BUMP

Snomom's review finally popped up as #178 - and our thanks for that - and very pleased to see your final comment.:)

However folks :confused::confused:

Take a look at review #179 :eek:

What we need is a few more reviews - especially when she stops the Alaska shuffle;)

Archived