Hamilton Walking Adventure, with Secret Garden and a letter from George Washington

32N64W

So, are we up for another little walking adventure?

Great! Today we're going for a little stroll through Hamilton. We'll visit Fort Hamilton, The Sessions House, the Cathedral, and a mini Museum, among other things.

First, a look at the map (the red arrows are out, the blue arrows are coming back)...

HamiltonMap.jpg

Composite-Out.jpg

We're starting off from the Ferry Terminal in Hamilton (1), where we just got off the Ferry from Dockyard. (If you're on the Veendam, docked in Hamilton, you'll be joining us in just a minute).

As you leave the Terminal, cross to the other side of the road and turn right towards the Birdcage (2), which is where a policeman stands to direct traffic (but not often these days). Cross over Queen Street so as to stay on Front Street.

Start checking out the shops you might like to visit later.

In just a minute you'll see the Flagpole on the other side, and possibly the Veendam in dock (3).

Next you'll pass the Cenotaph (4) with the flags of the Armed Forces in order of seniority - Royal Navy, Army and Air Force. Behind it is the Cabinet Building where the Senate meets, and behind that the Sessions House, of which we'll hear more later.

Keep going further on down Front Street - you'll find a small supermarket if you want to buy water or snacks. Do NOT faint when you see the prices. Remember we pay this every day without screaming (much).

Then you'll approach a blue building (5). Here's where we turn right onto King Street (6). At the top of the block, cross the road on the pedestrian crossing, then cross to the right, so you're on the other side of King Street (7).

You'll now pass the Fire Station (8) - feel free to poke inside and say hello. They're a friendly bunch.

A little way further up the road you'll come to a ramp leading up and right (9). We go up here and onto Happy Valley Road (10).

Keep going until you see the Fort Hamilton sign on your right (11).

It's taken us twenty minutes to walk here from the Ferry Terminal.

We could also have caught a Taxi, but that's the only alternative - this is not on a Bus route.

We go up and right here and across the Moat Bridge (12).

The Fort was built to protect Hamilton and its harbour from (of all people) the Americans, who were getting pretty feisty again in the late 1860's. It was never used in anger, of course, but the tunnels, magazines and so on are fun to poke around in.

Also, the moat has been turned into a very special jungle garden - well worth a look! (13).

And of course the view is wonderful (14).

Composite-back.jpg

As you leave the Fort, we go back the way we came on King Street, but we cross the road (15), so we can turn right onto Church Street.

As we go down Church Street, we'll pass the Sessions House (16).

This is worth a detour, if you like. It's the current home of the world's third oldest Parliament (ours, of course), and is open to the public.

Next up is The Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity (17).

Definitely worth a visit - it's an English Cathedral dropped into the middle of Hamilton. If you're feeling particularly fit, you can climb the tower (155 steps).

Further down is the Bus Terminal(18). If you are catching the bus to go anywhere on the island, here's where you do it.

Passing the City Hall, we cross the road and turn left down Queen Street (19).

Near the bottom is a very cool and almost unknown little museum run by the Historical Society, behind the enormous Rubber Tree (20). Here you'll find many curiosities, including a letter from George Washington (yes, that one), asking Bermudian supporters of the American Revolutionaries to steal gunpowder for him, as he had run out and was about to lose the War of Independence. (No kidding!) They did, too. Google "The Bermuda gunpowder Plot" and see!

Just beyond this is a lovely little park to rest in after your exertions and also Perot's Post office - home of one of the world's first and rarest stamps (only 11 of them left) - there's a reproduction on the wall inside.

From here you can see the Ferry Terminal again.

Now you can either shop, eat, catch a Taxi at the corner where the Birdcage is, or head on back to the ship on the Ferry.

Thanks for coming along, and I hope you had fun!

Everytime we go to Bermuda we try to find something we hadn't done or seen before. Fort Hamilton was on our list and we did your tour with few minor variations. The "secret" garden was one of my favorite things there.:)

IMG_4172.jpg

Question. do you only get half as much luck with half a moonstone?:p This one was on the way to Fort Hamilton.

IMG_4185-2.jpg

Here's another secret garden of mine. Do you know where it is?

IMG_4156.jpg

Hi All,

Quick addition - if you DO want to climb the Cathedral Tower (remembering those 155 steps), it's actually only open for climbing between 10 am to 1 pm, and they ask for a donation of three dollars (kids free).

The view is worth it - I've actually done this on your behalf... (pant, pant, whew!)

Have Fun!

Hi All,

Sorry, sorry - must learn to read my own posts CAREFULLY before hitting the Post button.

I have now spotted that I forgot to include the opening hours for the Historical Society Museum (the last thing on the tour).

They are open from 10am to 2pm, Monday through Friday.

Have Fun!

I had orig. only asked my Tour Guide that i'm trying to hire for 3-4 hrs ending in Hamilton at the ferry,..but now that i've seen this,..i'm going to Squeeze in an extra hr or so(we have to do it by car tho-part of it anyway, as I'm partially disabled:-(

Thank you so much! I'm also researching The Americans' Military Influence on Bermuda during the 20th century as I hope to return to teaching ROTC & JrROTC in a year or so, and this is the only area if not fully familiar with...

Any links you could provide me would be a great help!

Bill(DrFootball)(CWO-4 Ret./Med.-U.S. Army Aviation Branch)

("Oh you Gorgeous OLD rust Bucket you! Did you miss your Daddy?"

Captain H.M. Murdoch-2001)

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

Hi Marty,

If you stop to look at everything on the tour, I'm estimating around two to three hours.

Hi Bill,

There's a LOT of info on U.S. Forces in Bermuda on the web.

Start here:

http://www.bermuda-online.org/milquit.htm

There's a nice exhibit at the Commissioners House in Dockyard which you should see, including an in-depth look at the capture of a U-Boat.

Have Fun!

Then you'll approach a blue building (5). Here's where we turn right onto King Street (6). At the top of the block, cross the road on the pedestrian crossing, then cross to the right, so you're on the other side of King Street (7).

When on Front Street, don't you turn left to go up King Street? ( or am I confused?)

Hi Mods - can you edit my original post?

It has been pointed out that I made an error where I say turn right from Front Street onto King Street, when of course it should be turn LEFT.

Is it possible for you to fix this?

Thanks,

32N64W

Archived