Buzios, Brazil - port trip report

coldweather

(I am posting here because this port is not listed in the port review section)

We arrived in Buzios for a 1 day cruise stop. We went to Joao Fernandes beach. This beach is rather narrow from the water to the back of the beach which ends at a stone wall separating the beach from a road (not a busy road). The beach is packed with restaurants they set up chairs, small table and umbrellas. The going charge was $20R to for 2 chairs/umbrella or FREE if you consumed food. The beach is full of chairs/umbrellas. I did not see a space if you just wanted to visit independently and spread out your towel.

I recommend when arriving at this beach to just walk the length of the beach and decide which restaurant’s table/chairs you want to use for the day. Don’t jump at the first one. Try to get the vibe of the beach first and then settle in.

We liked this beach. There is a lot of activity and we easily could have spent a few days here.

I received a request to comment on the water temperature. In December 2012 the water was very brisk but swimable. It was NOT Carribbean warm. I waded in slowly to get used to the temperature. Many locals were in the water so it was not that bad. By contrast, the water in Rio de Janeiro was freezing! Some locals were in the water but I don't know how they were able to stand the cold water. No one wore any kind of wet suit, skin or rash guard.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived