Parati, Brazil - port trip report

coldweather

(I am posting here because this port is not listed in the port review section.)

This is not much to do in the city center while on a 1 day cruise stop. This was a former gold mining town that almost became a ghost town. They are trying to revive it as a tourist destination. It seems the best activity to do here is to take a boat to snorkeling or to a beach.

You will read that Parati has cobble stone streets. The streets are actually cobbled together with large stones (not cobble stones) and the walking is unsteady. If you have mobility limitations this may not be a good place for you.

I hope you find this helpful!

I received a request to comment on the water temperature. I visited in December 2012. I did not swim at this port stop so I don't have first hand knowledge. Based upon swimming at other nearby port stops I can say that the water is NOT Carribbean warm.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot mention in my original post that the harbor is very shallow so the ships need to moor farther out than most ports. The tender ride was approximately 30 minutes. The scenary is beautiful on the ride so time quickly passes.

The tender dock is is approximately 50 yards. (Maybe the length of 1/2 a US football field.) After that their is a smooth, dirt path where some vendors set up booths with trinkets for sale.

I do recall that the dock had small (1/2 inch) gaps between the boards. The dock boards are not touching each other.

If your husband has a walker or a cane, it could be an issue with the legs getting caught in between the boards. A wheelchair would be ok.

(I did arrive at multiple tender stops on this cruise so there is a possibility my recolection of the small gaps in the tendor dock is wrong. I may have mixed it up with another port but I don't think so.)

I would suggest the following:

1. Check with the staff on your ship. If they have been to this port prior they can advise you. On my cruise this was the first time this ship was in Parati so no one had advice. The port was new to all of us.

2. I would not suggest walking around the town with mobility issues. The large stone streets are not stable for walking.

3. The town did have horse drawn carriage rides. If you could get to the end of the dock, you could take one of these rides around the town.

4. At a minimum I would take the tender to the dock. The ride is beautiful.

Have fun!

One more comment....

Boats are docked along the tender dock itself. If your schooner is docked along the tender dock the walk could be quite short. Maybe your vendor or the ships shore excursions can advise you.

If is docked on the tender dock and the mobility issue requires a walker or cane, I would go for it. You can just take your time and be sure that the walker legs/cane are safely planted each time before moving forward. Just take it slow.

I have attached some photos to help you. One is of the streets so you can judge for yourself. One is Parati as seen from the approaching tender. One is of the beautiful scenary viewed from the tender.

833508250_2012SouthAmerica096.jpg.33381b303be0d77d52d1f2c35ce2f034.jpg

711977182_2012SouthAmerica086.jpg.cda210a2aae35dc4152b001960da1240.jpg

31271114_2012SouthAmerica081.jpg.89547b3b3d27a60d6e0a8f4fa7e1c6d4.jpg

Just to add to the information. We were recently there on a Sunday . Took the schooner tour to a beach and then to two stops for snorkeling. Beach time was only an hour. It was not easy to get on and off schooner

Went into town in afternoon. Tender ride is 30 minutes. Few shops were open. Streets were difficult to walk

Marlinton--

Not clear if you have mobility issues that are worrying you or other, but Paraty is the most charming and architecturally/historically significant ports of those reviewed in Coldweather's multiple posts. Speaking as someone who has seen a great deal of Brazil, it would be a shame not to make considerable effort to see this lovely town, a UNESCO World Heritage site. I do hope you enjoy your stops in Brazil.

Archived