TravelScoot and Standard Cabin Doors - Celebrity Summit

lemonaid

We are booked on a cruise in April on the Celebrity Summit. Are there any TravelScoot owners that have sailed on the Celebrity Summit (or another Celebrity ship) and stayed in a standard (not accessible that has a wider door) room? If so, were you able to get through the standard cabin doors with your TravelScoot? I'd hate to think that we have to collapse it everytime we go in and out of the cabin!

My DH has a TravelScoot which he used on a Holland America cruise 5 years ago without any troubles. I was looking at the information on Celebrity about the width of the standard cabin doors. Then I checked the width of the TravelScoot and the TravelScoot might be 1/2 inch too wide for the standard cabin doors.

Thanks!

Don't have an answer for you on the Summit but when I sailed the Enchantment of the Seas in a standard inside cabin I was able to drive through the doorway as long as hubby held the door open...I was really surprised. When we've sailed on Carnival ships in regular cabins we have to "tip" the back of the scooter sideways to get in in the door....I hold the front end and hubby does the back end.

I was able to get a full size, three wheeled Pride Go Go, through a regular cabin door on Summit. So knowing that the Travelscoot is not as large, you shouldn't have a problem.

Actually the information you have stated in your post is not correct.

The Travelscoot is actually wider than all models of Pride Go Go 3 wheel scooter and generally cannot be driven through a standard cabin door

Travelscoot is 23.5" wide

Pride Go Go Ultra X is 19.5" wide

Pride Go Go ES is 19.5" wide

Pride Go Go Sport is 20" wide

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler is 19.5" wide

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler plus is 21" wide

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus/HD is 21"wide

Given that the average standard door width is 23" to 23.5" from door frame to door frame. Than 2" has to be deducted to allow for the depth of the door when opened as it does open flush to the wall makes the total standard cabin door width 21" to 21.5" wide. The Travelscoot at 23.5" wide will not be able to be driven through the standard doorway. The individual will have to get off the Travelscoot and that manual tilt and carry it through the doorway as a previous poster stated

Edited by xxoocruiser

Don't have an answer for you on the Summit but when I sailed the Enchantment of the Seas in a standard inside cabin I was able to drive through the doorway as long as hubby held the door open...I was really surprised. When we've sailed on Carnival ships in regular cabins we have to "tip" the back of the scooter sideways to get in in the door....I hold the front end and hubby does the back end.

Nieciez,

I hadn't thought about tilting the scooter through the door. Thanks for the suggestion! It's better than totally collapsing it.

Lemonaid

Actually the information you have stated in your post is not correct.

The Travelscoot is actually wider than all models of Pride Go Go 3 wheel scooter and generally cannot be driven through a standard cabin door

Travelscoot is 23.5" wide

Pride Go Go Ultra X is 19.5" wide

Pride Go Go ES is 19.5" wide

Pride Go Go Sport is 20" wide

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler is 19.5" wide

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler plus is 21" wide

Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus/HD is 21"wide

Given that the average standard door width is 23" to 23.5" from door frame to door frame. Than 2" has to be deducted to allow for the depth of the door when opened as it does open flush to the wall makes the total standard cabin door width 21" to 21.5" wide. The Travelscoot at 23.5" wide will not be able to be driven through the standard doorway. The individual will have to get off the Travelscoot and that manual tilt and carry it through the doorway as a previous poster stated

xxoocruiser,

Thanks for all the detailed information! I hadn't even considered the width of the door until I had to fill out the Special Requirements (SRI) Form for this trip. As I mentioned in my original post, we took the TravelScoot on our Holland America (Maasdam) cruise and I don't remember having any problems getting it through the door of our standard cabin. Oh well, looks like we'll be tilting or squeezing it through the door. :rolleyes: I know we'll get it through the door in some fashion because it is invaluable!

Lemonaid

:)

Nieciez,

I hadn't thought about tilting the scooter through the door. Thanks for the suggestion! It's better than totally collapsing it.

Lemonaid

We find it best to bring the front end in first...and tilt with the motor end (left rear wheel) down the right rear wheel up. Hubby likes to take the seat off too but it doesn't have to be if it is in the lowest position.

• 1 year later...

I am planning on renting a scooter through Special Needs at Sea

Overall dimensions 38.8" x 21" x 36"

We are in a MA mini-suite. We might have to tilt & squeeze to get it in the stateroom but we can do that.

My question is going off the ship with it. Is there transportation available to accommodate the scooter to get us where we want to go? I understand that it will not go in the sand which is not a problem. There will be 9 of us, 5 adults & 4 kids. Maybe our best option would be to rent a van?

I am planning on renting a scooter through Special Needs at Sea

Overall dimensions 38.8" x 21" x 36"

We are in a MA mini-suite. We might have to tilt & squeeze to get it in the stateroom but we can do that.

Is it an accessible mini suite or are standard mini-suite ?

IWhat is the actual width of the scooter as you did not mark which number is the width when stating the dimensions. Assuming that you rented Special Needs at Seas "standard scooter" and not the "heavy duty scooter" or the arms rest can be adjusted closer in to towards the seat or totally removed but loosing the knob below the seat on each of the arm rests. If totally removing the arm rests remember to place them back on the scooter otherwise you'll be charge for them.

Additionally if there are any tendered ports on your itinerary you need to know that Celebrity's policy is as follows regarding mobility scooters :

Guests with assistive devices who are unable to take a few steps will be unable to board tenders unless roll-on capability is available.

In order to safely board most tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible manual wheelchair. In addition, motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters can not be taken on tenders, unless roll-on capability is available. Inquire about tender roll-on capability at Guest Relations Desk while on board. Please note roll-on capability is not guaranteed.

Weather, sea conditions and other factors may preclude tendering. Safety of our guests and crew is our primary consideration, and the Captain and his staff will make the final decision regarding transferring guests and their assistive devices based on safety reasons.

If guests are unable to tender or disembark because of due to these circumstances, there will be no refund or credit for missed ports. While we recognize your disappointment, the safety of our guests and crew takes precedence.

My question is going off the ship with it. Is there transportation available to accommodate the scooter to get us where we want to go?

Accessible transportation is difficult to obtain once outside the USA. If available it generally needs to be pre-arranged and booked prior to your cruise. Please advise the Ports on the itinerary so we can help you further on this matter.

Also note that if you rented Special Needs at Sea's standard scooter if can be broken down and placed into the truck of a car so no accessible transportation would be required if you can transfer into the car. If you rented their Heavy Duty Scooter or Bariatric Scooter these models require an accessible van.