iPad wifi connectivity on Shadow

MedMar

Has anyone had experience using their iPad for email access and internet generally on the Shadow? the cruise documentation we received warns that connectivity is poor and unreliable. Is this really so? if this is really true then we will bring a laptop instead!

Has anyone had experience using their iPad for email access and internet generally on the Shadow? the cruise documentation we received warns that connectivity is poor and unreliable. Is this really so? if this is really true then we will bring a laptop instead!

Connectivity on the Cloud was OK in public areas, although not so good in the suites. You have to positively log off (!) not just switch off the iPad otherwise the internet credit counter continues to count down. Many iPads were being used on board.

If you would like to avoid the laptop but want to improve wifi in your suite on your ipad, then as long as there is wired connection you might consider buying a travel router / wifi which sets up your own independent wifi in your suite. The secret it to set it up at home and set it up so that it uses the same name, settings and passwords as your home system. This means that whenever you are in a hotel or SS suite you plug it in and your ipad thinks it's at home. This will work with your kindles and anything else you have set up for home.

Because you are not competing and in speed contention with others for the public wifi your ipads should be considerably faster and signals stronger. In hotels my own wifi in the suite is usable in the lounges and around the hotel etc.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

If you would like to avoid the laptop but want to improve wifi in your suite on your ipad, then as long as there is wired connection you might consider buying a travel router / wifi which sets up your own independent wifi in your suite. The secret it to set it up at home and set it up so that it uses the same name, settings and passwords as your home system. This means that whenever you are in a hotel or SS suite you plug it in and your ipad thinks it's at home. This will work with your kindles and anything else you have set up for home.

Because you are not competing and in speed contention with others for the public wifi your ipads should be considerably faster and signals stronger. In hotels my own wifi in the suite is usable in the lounges and around the hotel etc.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I'm very interested in this Jeff. Do you pay data/roaming charges when you use your own router/account while traveling?

I'm very interested in this Jeff. Do you pay data/roaming charges when you use your own router/account while traveling?

You just pay whatever charges SS or the hotel make. It also has the advantage that set up correctly you pay for a single device. SS or the hotel sees the device as the router so you could let your neighbour share your router if you wished all for a single item connect charge.

You just pay whatever charges SS or the hotel make. It also has the advantage that set up correctly you pay for a single device. SS or the hotel sees the device as the router so you could let your neighbour share your router if you wished all for a single item connect charge.

This is great. Thank you for the advice. I will do this my next trip!

This is great. Thank you for the advice. I will do this my next trip!

Just set it up at home before you leave and test it. It only needs setting up once - and then you simply plug it in whilst away. Once set up - always pack it for your travels. In hotels we always have free internet and so we use a load of different ipad apps we use including for an Echostar Slingbox which we can access to watch tv live or stuff that has been recorded. We can also view our IP security cameras at our homes to check everything is ok. The system also photographs anyone who visits our homes and we can review cctv recordings for the exact time anyone approached the properties to see who they were. Heaven forbid anyone did break n we'd have the photographs automatically and instantly uploaded with car numbers etc. It's thankfully never happened but it's very reassuring and we pay lower insurance premiums. Just knowing everything is fine whilst n extended trips is really great.

I also have Tunein radio on all devices with a single account so we can record and listen to our favourite radio.

Enough! Happy it's provided an alternative.

I am just off the Shadow, having disembarked on April 2nd in Hong Kong. I used my iPad for email without any issues at all. I paid $85 for 250 minutes of online time, and used it solely in my suite. I believe we had a wifi transponder mounted behind our TV in the room. There were a few times when it was a tiny bit slow, based on other people using it, but as all I did was email, it was awesome. No special settings needed. Just use "settings" to find Silversea wifi, then fire up a browser and follow the prompts to set up a payment plan. Very very simple.

Kort

Hi, an additional word of advice on the mobile Wifi - in addition to setting it up at home, I would try testing it away from home a few times too, to make sure you work out all the bugs. The first time I tried mine (after a successful home setup) was overseas, and I swear I spent more in phone roaming charges trying to get Verizon to help me connect, than I would have paid for hotel internet!

But I agree, when it worked, it was fantastic.

Hi, an additional word of advice on the mobile Wifi - in addition to setting it up at home, I would try testing it away from home a few times too, to make sure you work out all the bugs. The first time I tried mine (after a successful home setup) was overseas, and I swear I spent more in phone roaming charges trying to get Verizon to help me connect, than I would have paid for hotel internet!

But I agree, when it worked, it was fantastic.

Glad the suggestion was helpful - mine worked straight away on my first hotel trip, and I use it a lot. I was surprised to get twice my normal hard-wired speed at home over wifi in Croatia last week. It gives you a much faster wifi than anyone else around you which is particularly important on a ship and could save quite a lot.

Jeff,oh font of technical knowledge,Do i just buy any old router or can i take my router from home which is paired to my broadband supplier.

Explain to a poor old non tech rather face to face old school type.

Are you going to our sadly departed leaders funeral next wednesday?

Jeff,oh font of technical knowledge,Do i just buy any old router or can i take my router from home which is paired to my broadband supplier.

Explain to a poor old non tech rather face to face old school type.

Are you going to our sadly departed leaders funeral next wednesday?

No not any old router but a travel router. They are the size of a box of matches. I use the TP Link N150. It 's less than £20. I was using it to watch my Echostar Slingbox at home last week so both recorded programmes and live TV streamed from the UK. The instructions really are simple and you should have no problems.

Very sad news about Mrs T. For some reason my invite hasn't popped onto the mat - but our great country and the World owes her a considerable debt and in time when the significance of some of her achievements are seen in an historical perspective I think people will realise that.

Good luck with the router.

Thank you Jeff.

The funny thing is that most of the peeps that were demonstrating about Maggies doings, were not even born in 1979.

I will be at St Pauls for the service,hopefully all will pass without too much aggro from rent a mob.

I hope you share your experience of Wednesday on your return. I'd love to hear. Hope things are dignified with a touch of humour.

I'm clearly not as well connected as you are but not many people would have had the rather unsavoury experience of being cajoled to do the birdy dance by and with Norma at the Little Paxton Conservative Do and having made a cup of tea for her husband "Mild Mannered Colin" when he was winning his first seat and needed warming up. Who'd have thought ......

I also remember having the opportunity of spending a few hours with Ted when he was frail - he was still savvy and all there - but only just. But sadly not Mrs T. I think that would have been memorable. Our local MP was one of her Ministers (still front bench) and he has talked affectionally of her today.

There's no factories producing Mrs T's any more.

Sadly the mold has been broken,anyway the factories would mean Unions and she disposed of those at an early stage.

People have short memories,Do you remember the three day weeks.power cuts and the rubbish in Leceister square.

Funny your memories of Ted,he was my MP in Sidcup.I used to visit him in his set at Albany in Piccadilly and at Cathedral close in Salisbury.

People place Churchill ahead of her. I'm not as certain. I think it is closely run.

Who knows whether someone else might have achieved what he did? But without her appreciation of the "unique opportunity" would the fall of communism happened when it did? I was startled to hear yesterday that before her the closest communist state was 500 miles away and now the closest is 5000 miles away. If she hadn't sealed the opportunity for Gorby and Reagan to do business and he wasn't listening to anyone as much as her - who knows how things might be today?

The pictures of Leicester Square will stay with us all - and the bodies in portacabins. I think her courage in conceding defeat to the miners first time around and building up coal stocks during a summer was one of the most astute political decisions of all time and led to the release of us from that terrible strangle hold.

I'll be raising a glass.

Archived