What to do in Kona?

cruise freak

I am trying to finish scheduling my cruise and all that is left is Kona. The travel service I used for the other ports said there wasn't much to do there so I rented a car from Alamo but I don't know where to go. I found an excursion called Captain Zodiac but didn't get any info from fellow cruisecritics so maybe I should skip that. Please tell me what to do or see? Thanks.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;02;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Till the Big Z

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;05;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  Till Infinity and Beyond

Just got back from the Star and you are right, not much to do in Kona. We also rented a car through Alamo (be sure to use 6T rate code). We went to a coffee plantation and saw how coffee grew and then processed. It was interesting even to my husband who doesn't like coffee. Then we headed as far south as possible. Went to the most southern point in the United States which was called South Point. Very nice coastal views on the way. There was also suppose to be a green sand beach there but didn't find any green sand.

minnesota pamcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;3;28;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Countin until heaven on the STAR TO HAWAII

NCL Sunward II 1986

Carnival Festivale 1989

NCL Windward 1995

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 1998

NCL Sky 2000

NCL Star 2004

Wow, I thought there was plenty to do in Kona! I loved the town itself, I snorkeled in Kahalu'u Bay and saw turtles, I visited Greenwell Farms, the Place of Refuge (more turtles), Saint Benedict's, we drove to Waikoloa and hopped on a helicopter, we drove to Kilauea and stopped in Punalu'u Beach Park and saw even more turtles, had malasadas in Pahala...

I wish we had taken a snorkeling excursion to Kealakekua Bay; I hear it's fabulous. I also wish we'd toured the Hawaiian Chocolate Factory.

Oh, but Kona Brewing Co. sucked. The food was boring, my husband didn't like the beers and the service was sloooooooooooow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnesota pam:

There was also suppose to be a green sand beach there but didn't find any green sand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We didn't go to Ka Lae, but the green sand beach is supposed to be a 2-mile hike from the Kaulana boat ramp, then down some cliffs. I think?

Actually there is plenty to do around here and there have been other threads here about it. I recommend the Fair Winds snorkle cruise, which does go to Kealakekua Bay. I went on that one and really had a great time.

There will be shuttles to Hilo Hattie and Walmart if you don't feel like renting a car. Near Hilo Hatties, I guess you would say kitty-corner, there is a WONDERFUL shop called Katherine's. I haven't been to her store since she move to a new location (it was just a few hundred yards from the current location but much smaller). The locals love it there, there are sooooo many cool things. However, they aren't only Hawaiian things, but there are a lot. Right next to that is a Long's Drugs where you can shop for some souveniers if you want. There are quite a number of places to eat in that area, mostly small local restaurants.

Up by Walmart, if you walk up the hill, there is another shopping center with a Safeway and next to that there is a place to mail packages if you need to do that. At the other end of the parking lot up there is a place owned by Amy Ota and I forget the name right now, but you can get wonderful pasta there. I haven't eaten there for awhile but it was really yummy. Next to that is a local style plate lunch Korean place that has good food and there is a Subway and a healthfood store.

Right by the pier are about 3 or 4 of the ABC stores for souveniers and there is a place right near one of them and about a block from the pier called Scandinavian Shave Ice - go there - it is DELICIOUS! and I believe you can still get on the internet there.

From there you can walk down the street fronting the ocean and take a tour of the Palace, do some more shopping, go to the Hardrock in Kona, and see some of our unique stores.

That is all if you don't want to drive anywhere.

Laura hit some of the highlights for driving to some spots. She didn't mention Waipio Valley, which is amazing.

Believe me, you don't have to be bored here in Kona.

If anyone is interested in art galleries, I know of a wonderful little town with some great small galleries.

Oh...and in the area where I work (Waimea/Kamuela) there is the largest privately owned ranch in the United States, Parker Ranch and you can tour.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Emi - Oodles of Noodles. Fantastic restaurant. Highly recommended. icon_smile.gif

Spleen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

CruiseFreak: No problems, glad to help.

Spleen: That's IT! Thanks, I thought I was going to have to drive down there just to remember the name. icon_biggrin.gif

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

SweetEmi- I am planning on booking the Fair Wind to go to kealakaku bay. I was just wondering how did you get to the Fair wind boat. What time did you get back to the ship and was the water at all scary and deep? Did you see spinner dolphins? I am really looking forward to this and I am trying to convince a group of 7 families to come also since it seems like a fun group thing to do. Any info is appreciated! Marilyn icon_cool.gif

flahatch.gif

Marilyn: I live here so I drove...I'm wondering now if it is possible to use them due to the other thread I just read. Maybe Fair Wind should rearrange their schedule! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes...we saw the dophins - Cool! and I'm a real CHICKEN in deep water, but I loved it and had a great time. They have a lot of different flotation devices you can use if you need to. But, for some reason since I left the boat in the deep water and it was so calm and clear and I didn't have waves to try to get past, it was really nice and I wasn't scared at all.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Hi, again, sweet emi ~ i just read your message about snorkelling out loud to my husband, as he is not a swimmer and afraid of deep water. He was very encouraged by your message, especially about the part re floatation devices.

All the ideas about Kona were great. I will print thm off and plan accordingly.

mnstar

Star: That's great...because there are few that are more scared of water than I am! Don't know what happened, when I was a kid I was like a fish but then suddenly I didn't like it any more and it was scary!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SweetEmi:

Laura hit some of the highlights for driving to some spots. She didn't mention Waipio Valley, which is amazing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but we didn't drive there, we saw it from the helicopter. It is gorgeous! We didn't fly into it, just past it so as not to disturb the residents. Instead, we flew into Waimanu Valley to look at its waterfalls.

Thank you SweetEmi!!!! You just made it real easy for me....We used to take ship excursions all the time but lately we've been doing a lot of ports on our own....can "get off the beaten track" so to speak. Was debating whether or not to rent a car or catch a cab and now I find out it's just a shuttle ride away from a lot of great sounding places (like those restaurants!).

Anytime you might be coming to the west coast of Florida look me up....Can give you the in depth details from Tampa to Fort Myers.

Thanks again!!!! icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;29;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sailin' on the Wind 5/29/04

Oh....I keep forgetting. There is horseback riding and some kind of "Flume Da Ditch" or something like that that I'm sure is doable if you have a full day. The horseback riding I did once when I first got here, amazinginly beautiful up there on the mountain. They had us ride Paniolo style - different than what I saw on the mainland.

Mid: Thanks! How cool that would be - and may be in the picture in a couple of years... icon_biggrin.gif

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Sweet Emi,

I've been reading this thread with interest since I'll now be spending several days in Kailua-Kona rather than just one. You did mention that it was possible to tour the Parker ranch and also that there were oppourtunities to go horseback riding. Could you give a bit more detailled info on those two. Also more info about the town with the small art galleries?

Thanks

http://www.kcmihawaii.com/html/tours/hawaiiwagon.html

http://cyberrodeo.com/guysgals/ranch2.htm

Links re: Parker Ranch

http://www.tombarefoot.com/hawaii/horseback.html

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/activity/bisrhb.htm

Links re: Horseback riding (I went to one on Kohala Mountain)

http://www.hiohwy.com/h/holualoa.htm

http://www.konaweb.com/art/index.shtml

http://www.coffeetimes.com/holualoa.htm

Links re: Holualoa (One has a map)

There are a couple of links. When I went horseback riding it was up on Kohala Mountain, but I don't know which ranch exactly, sorry. I've never actually done a tour of Parker Ranch, but I pass by it every day and pass by the Visitor's Center. I used to live in Holualoa and used to substitute in the Health Room at the elementary school there sometimes. I have enjoyed going up there and wandering around the galleries several times.

I have seen Hawaii Trail and something or other (I saw it on one of the above websites) around the area everywhere and they seem like a solid company. I did a little research about them when I was job hunting several years ago and had a good feeling about them. Though I have never actually gone on any excursions through them.

Any other questions I would be glad to answer if I can.

Aloha,

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SweetEmi:

Laura: I know...just wanted to add to your wonderful list!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course; I just felt I had to explain why I didn't mention it!!! I was hitting myself over the head for not having done so... icon_biggrin.gif

I loved Kona sooo much; Kailua is a much nicer town than Lahaina, IMO. I'm so jealous that you live there!

I thought that Parker Ranch had closed down their public tours?? Maybe they're still doing private tours or horseback riding tours with tour groups?

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

I don't really now exactly...the gates are open to the Visitor's Center and I see people driving up there and when I was looking it up on the 'net, I saw some private companies that said they do tours. The horseback riding I was talking about are private ones on the ranches up on the mountain so I don't know if they do any horseback riding tours at Parker Ranch.

So...I don't know, you're probably right about the public tours.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Archived