What to do in Kona?

cruise freak

• 3 weeks later...

Part of my group from my upcoming Pride of Aloha cruise are taking KON-203: Kona Coffee Then and Now. 4.5 hour tour includes visit to Uchida Coffee Farm (restored circa 1925-45) and Holualoa Kona Coffee Company, a modern day coffee mill. I think it is about $55 person, but I can't find the price list right now. I am sure it would be easy enough to do if you have a rental car, but husband wants a break from driving.

Patty

SweetEmi,

Can we get to Punalu'u Beach from Hio or Kona? We are renting a car in Hilo and want to go to Volcano National Park plus do a little touring around Hilo. Do you know how far the beach is from the Park? Or would it be better to go there from Kona. We hadn't planned on renting a car there. I have enjoyed reading all your info on Kona and have made some notes from them. Thank you.

We'll be on the Island Princess in early Oct.

Arlene

Patty - thanks for letting us know about the coffee farm ship's tour! Learn something new every day. :)

Emi's a little scarce these days so let me try to answer as best as I can some of the questions. Kona's a fairly typical tourist town in Hawaii - there is a beach that's nearby the dock where your tenders will come in (the name escapes me at the moment). A little rocky but not bad for the Kona coast. Fairly decent snorkeling as well. And I think I answered Arlene's question in another thread. ;)

Spleen

We just booked the Body Glove snorkel cruise on our own using the Entertainment Book. NCL also has this cruise listed on there Shore Excursions.

The coupon is for one free cruise when a second is purchased.

For Arlene,

My wife and I did this trip last April. It is about 1.5/2 hour (about 80 miles each way) trip to this beach, and we made lots of stops, including a side trip down to South Point. The one concern we had was that we had to turn the car in in time to catch the 4pm shuttle going back to the ship, because that was the last one the car rental people would provide.

We stayed at the beach for about 45 minutes, and headed back. Since there was not much else we wanted to do on that side of the island, the whole trip was easily do-able

I thought that Parker Ranch had closed down their public tours?? Maybe they're still doing private tours or horseback riding tours with tour groups?

Parker Ranch has a website at http://parkerranch.com/

They list rates for tours, wagon rides, ATV, and horseback riding for 2004. So I assume they are still open, but I'm not sure.

They do have a website but I think that the tours that they offer are slightly different from what they did before. I remember visiting Parker Ranch as a kid many many years ago and then it was a tour of a working ranch. It seems a lot more touristy now along with other recreational activities (like the ATV and the wagon rides).

Spleen

[COLOR=Navy]Fendbass,

Thank you for your reply about Punalu'u Beach. :) We intend to go to Volcano National Park. Do you think we could do the park and go to Punalu'u and get the car back by 4pm? :confused:

Thanks again,
Arlene [/COLOR]

I found my answer to the Pu Ukala Lodge in Kona - It is run by a gay couple and caters to Gay couples - one of the websites I rang up even stated they allow nudity on the premises - No Thanks - My wife and I will look further into someplace to stay>

Any recommendations for a B & B in Kona?

Hey Devonne,
How are you,, its me Rene and for some reason I can not find out board for March 27th on our trip.
Got a question for you, and can you email me at [email]starstylefavs@aol.com[/email]

Anyway, I read on the movie tour that if you have 14 people you can set up a private tour. We probably have 6, at least 4. Then there is you, how many are you.
I was thinking if you are interested, seeing if we can do that, and then maybe and I dont even know if they do it, schedule them for like an hour or so later to take our group to see something else. Since we will have more time, it would be nice to see something else.
Do you have any interest. I bet if we post it up, we can fill our tour bus...
What do you think
Rene

[quote name='JoeCruiser']Parker Ranch has a website at [url="http://parkerranch.com/"]http://parkerranch.com/[/url]

They list rates for tours, wagon rides, ATV, and horseback riding for 2004. So I assume they are still open, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE] Also, There is a 2-for-1 coupon for "Adult Dual Tour Admission" in the entertainment book.

Archived