Divina vs NCL breakaway or Getaway

nan607

can't decide bewtween NCL breakaway, Getaway or MSC Divina

Nov-teachers convention week, (prob will be alot of kids on these cruises ) but this is the only week we can go away, I sailed Celebrity Reflection in Feb and absolutely LOVED it, please give opinions on these ships pro and cons.

all info greatly appreciated.

I have not sailed Divina yet (will do in Sept), but I can assure you that comparing NCL to Celebrity is a bad idea. Totally different products, atmospheres, food,service. BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses. But they are not comparable, IMO.

If you the traditional, more formal style atmosphere, I suspect Divina will be a better fit. NCL really specializes in informal, no schedule, do what you want, when you want, wear what you want. They do it well, but it's very different than Celebrity.

I know it's subjective. But unless you dine in the speciality restaurants, the food on celebrity is vastly superior to NCL. That said, the two rib eyes my ex-butcher husband had in NCL's steakhouse extra charge restaurant were declared some of the best beef he has ever tasted.

Also check out celebrity's pick your perk deal. If it applies to a sailing you are considering, it's a tough deal to beat, especially if you are a drinker.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet

Thanks for responding.

Here is my dilema, we are 3 women 50-60 (age) celebrating 2 birthdays, I love Celebrity, but never sailed NCL, will I be disappointed? I know they are totally different but I like the freestyle idea but I'm really just worried about too many kids especially the week in Nov, I would prefer to go out of Miami more warm days, but airfare at that time is high so the NY departure may save us some $. My friend went on the Breakaway last year and loved it too. We really just want to have fun relaxing and the drink package is a must. I had the free perk on Reflection and worth every penny.

Thanks for responding.

Here is my dilema, we are 3 women 50-60 (age) celebrating 2 birthdays, I love Celebrity, but never sailed NCL, will I be disappointed? I know they are totally different but I like the freestyle idea but I'm really just worried about too many kids especially the week in Nov, I would prefer to go out of Miami more warm days, but airfare at that time is high so the NY departure may save us some $. My friend went on the Breakaway last year and loved it too. We really just want to have fun relaxing and the drink package is a must. I had the free perk on Reflection and worth every penny.

Most likely the prices for NCL, Celebrity, and Divina will be close if you factor in the Breakaway/no air, and free drink pkges. on Celebrity!

ideas,,,

fly to San Juan, cruise on the Celebrity Summit, 6 ports in 7 days, free grats. and 3rd person sails free, or free drinks!

fly to Miami, cruise on the Celebrity Reflection, east or west Caribbean, free grats, and 3rd person sails free, or free drinks!

fly to Miami, cruise on the Divina, east or west Caribbean, less money then Reflection, but if you add drink pkge, same price!

Whatever you decide, it will be fun!

Thanks for responding.

NYC is our home port but the ships that sail from Florida are so much better that we pay airfare to get there.

MSC, NCL, Carnival, Costa are overall similar quality products that have (for us) a status "in case of". They are not "no go", but for a cruise vacation planned ahead of time we'll look elsewhere.

Both ships ate the same class, same size, both have "ship within a ship" enclaves and super crowded public spaces (both internally and externally) left for the rest of happy folks.

If party atmosphere on extremely crowded mega ships is OK for you - you won't be disappointed in either choice.

NCL ships are better planned inside, have promenade deck, much more sports facilities, much more dining options (decent ones are for $$ - plan some $100 pp per cruise), theater is smaller with a couple of shows (that have to be repeated due to small theatre and large number of passengers), cirque & dinner show ($$) in a dedicated lounge, comedy club (salty humor above and below waist). Cabins on NCL are traditionally smaller. All dining venues are anytime dining. MDR has dance floor and live music.

The Divina has more spectacular atriu. Italian way of how all things are organized is more chaotic but funny.

Cabins are slightly larger. Fewer sports facilities on upper decks, therefore some more space for sun decks and pools. No promenade deck. Traditional dining - two shifts in MDR. Minimum alternative dining venues. Menus evolve around Mediterranean theme but food should not confused with authentic Italian cuisine. The theatre is twice as large. Shows are of a grande scale, well costumed. Pre-recorded music. Significantly less expensive cruise in many cases.

For more entertaining cruise vacation look at the Allure/Oasis of the Seas.

The least crowded and most comfortable ships (+ amazing Eastern itinerary) yet affordable - HAL Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam

If cabins/balconies are very important for you - Princess (Ruby, Emerald, Crown) appear on the scene with the best affordable cabins for 3 at sea (mini suites on Emerald deck).

Enjoy your cruises!

Edited by cruisetrail