What is the difference between a ''liner'' and a ''cruise ship''?

susan1234

QE2 and QM2 are different to cruise ships in that they are designed to make year-round North Atlantic crossings, hence their hulls are made of thicker grade steel and they are generally better in rough seas. Now I must express a very old-fashioned (and no doubt unpopular opinion) and say that QM2 may be classed as an ocean liner but she still LOOKS like a cruise ship. The ever-increasing desire for cabins with verandahs has left poor old QM2 looking like a horizontal, high-rise hotel with a bit of foredeck tacked on. I'm sure she's a lovely ship on the inside, and I hope to travel on her someday, but it's QE2 that's the REAL ocean liner.

Hope that helps.

Tim (apologies in advance to QM2 fans) I've had to be up at 4.30 in the morning all week and I end up feeling rather:eek:!

A liner is so called because it is designed to sail in a direct line from one port to another, hence "liner". A cruise ship - well - cruises.

The difference becomes very apparent when we compare the experience of crossing the Atlantic on QM2 say, with that on one designed for the holliday cruise market, which can be a distinctly unpleasant experience at times.

David.

Susan1234,

Wikipedia has reasonable descriptions of both here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_ship

In my view, the main difference is in 'fitness for purpose'. For example, both the QE2 and QM2 are designed to make frequent crossings of the North Atlantic, adhering to a timetable. This means they must not only average a certain speed but also must be capable of going quite a bit faster to make up for delays caused by weather. See the earlier threads on the QE2's Trans Atlantic record. A cruise ship, by contrast, in general has multiple port itineraries in typically calmer waters (Carribbean/Med) and if she falls behind can catch up by dropping a port of call - something you can't do if you only have one port of call!

Another difference is draught - how deep the ship sits in the water - for Trans Atlantic, you want more draft (more stable) than cruising (more ports with shallow harbours). Additionally you want a long, slender bow for cutting through the waves - unlike the 'stub noses' stuck onto many modern cruise ships.

Both the QE2 and QM2 are designed as hybrid 'liners'/'cruise ships' - capable of the higher speed, but with less draft than their predeccessors so they can fit into more ports - the original QUEEN MARY had a draft of 38.8 ft, the QE2 32.5 ft QM2 32.7ft - compared for example with RCL's 'Voyager of the Seas 29 ft or Golden Princess 26ft. I think TJL makes a partly fair point - if you look at the QM2's hull (the black bit) - she looks every bit an ocean liner - with a Carribbean cruise ship condo stuck on top - but she's got to pay her way, so balconies it is!

Peter

True enough about passengers expecting balconies these days. And for all that I was being critical of QM2's external, top-heavy appearance, I certainly wouldn't turn down the chance to do a transatlantic crossing where I could sit in my balcony with a large gin and tonic every evening. Q1 and Q2 grade on QE2 is always going to be well out of my price range!

Tim.

PS Does anyone know if QE2 and QM2 have similar service speeds, or does one have the edge over the other?

I think that QE2 just has the edge at 32.5 knots to QM2 30, but I know that at these sort of speeds you would be much more comfortable on the newer vessel.

We were told aboard QE2 once that she is capable of maximum speed in reverse. which is a comforting thought.

David.

Regarding speed, QE2 is a faster ship than QM2, indeed I believe she is the fastest large passenger ship in service today.

Both generally cruise at 28.5 knots on the North Atlantic, which is also cruising speed for QM2. I believe QE2's cruising speed is 30 knots or thereabouts, though she does not regularly do this any longer.

But top speed for QM2 is just over 30 knots while it is 33.8 for QE2.

Archived