SDP at Ocean Blue has different rules?

Jezo

Not the Seafood Extravadanza thing, just the regular menu.

From what i am reading, with the SDP at the specialty restaurants, you get as many appetizers and desserts as you want, and one entree per person, but in some recent threads folks are saying at Ocean Blue, and only Ocean Blue, you are limited to one of everything.

So is this the case or are servers just preventing people from ordering?

From what i am reading, with the SDP at the specialty restaurants, you get as many appetizers and desserts as you want, and one entree per person, but in some recent threads folks are saying at Ocean Blue, and only Ocean Blue, you are limited to one of everything.

OCean Blue is not included in the Dining plan.,but you will receive a 20% discount. And it is one of each course and side dish.

Under the current terms and conditions, you pay a $15 upcharge. No limits on apps, sides and desserts, just like all the others.

I haven't seen the threads discussing the "one of each category" limit, but I can tell you that we sailed on the 3-16 POA cruise from SFO with the SDP plan, and the waitress tried this "one of each" on us the very first night in Cagneys. I told her that this was not stipulated in the package we bought. She said that with the new change to a la carte, this rule was instituted. I told her it was not a rule unless the terms were changed pre purchase. She said she'd have to check with her Manager. She returned and said we could order anything we wanted.

We did not have this issue any of the other 7 nights we dined with the plan. So, I don't know if this waitress was just confused, or if perhaps there is a plan change in the works.

The greatest mystery in all of cruising..

It sounds to me like they had a confused server in Ocean Blue, like we did at Cagneys, and no one challenged them. They do not get to make up their own rules. The terms and conditions do not spell out any additional restrictions for Ocean Blue other than the up charge and the exclusion of the Seafood Extravaganza entree. It sounds like if you order that, the $15 upcharge is waived and you pay the entree price instead. Just print a copy of the terms and conditions and if the waiter tries it, just let them know you'll need to speak to the manager.

On Breakaway now. Ate at Ocean Blue last night. Definitely only one app, one entree and one dessert. Confirmed by both hostess and waiter. Great meal, still plenty of food. We thought it was worth the $15 upcharge over the SDP.

Ahhh!!

Two posts one after another with conflicting information.

On Breakaway now. Ate at Ocean Blue last night. Definitely only one app, one entree and one dessert. Confirmed by both hostess and waiter. Great meal, still plenty of food. We thought it was worth the $15 upcharge over the SDP.

So no one spoke to the manager and brought it to their attention that this restriction is not in the terms and conditions of the package you bought?

Don't let them get away with it. If they want to change the rules, then they should start with new packages being currently sold. Who would ever buy a package from NCL if they can change the terms after the fact?

Ahhh!!

Two posts one after another with conflicting information.

The difference is that in one instance someone protested the incorrect ruling and had it recinded, and in the other case they accepted the word of the waiter and the hostess without apparently taking it any higher.

The difference is that in one instance someone protested the incorrect ruling and had it recinded, and in the other case they accepted the word of the waiter and the hostess without apparently taking it any higher.

No, the difference is that one person speaks of what happened in Cagney's in the past and speculates it is the same for Ocean Blue and the other was actually in Ocean Blue last night and had actual Ocean Blue experience!

The terms and conditions do not spell out any additional restrictions for Ocean Blue other than the up charge and the exclusion of the Seafood Extravaganza entree. It sounds like if you order that, the $15 upcharge is waived and you pay the entree price instead.
And do they still deduct a meal from your dining package? :confused:

If I'm not mistaken, everything that makes up the Seafood Special can be ordered as separate items on the menu, so I think very few people have bothered with this option with the SDP.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would even ask this question of the hostess or waiter before ordering. I would just go ahead and order. At the end if they tried to charge me for the multiples, I'd mention that I was never told that, nor was it written anywhere, and ask them to show me.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would even ask this question of the hostess or waiter before ordering. I would just go ahead and order. At the end if they tried to charge me for the multiples, I'd mention that I was never told that, nor was it written anywhere, and ask them to show me.

(I am going to play the part of the negative person here because I want to get this all cleared up before we sail)

The T&Cs say..

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Charges will apply for additional main course orders.

So is this one of those cases of it being assumed multiple apps and desserts can be ordered because the NCL page only says main courses have additional charges? No where does it say multiple other courses can be ordered free of charge but it also does not say multiple other courses ordered will have a charge.

So inclusion by omission of it not being spelled out in the contract?

Edited by Jezo

(I am going to play the part of the negative person here because I want to get this all cleared up before we sail)

The T&Cs say..

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

So is this one of those cases of it being assumed multiple apps and desserts can be ordered because the NCL page only says main courses have additional charges? No where does it say multiple other courses can be ordered free of charge but it also does not say multiple other courses ordered will have a charge.

So inclusion by omission of it not being spelled out in the contract?

My point was that you can't be told no if you don't ask.

By the way, you quoted me in another thread going on about Ocean Blue even though I was talking to another poster about Cagney's. I just don't want you making yourself any more confused than you already appear to be.

My point was that you can't be told no if you don't ask.
Sure you can, if you start ordering a bunch of stuff, the server might very well bring up the policy to make sure you are OK with the extra charges and to give you a chance to modify your order. I would expect them to do this, and I would be unhappy if they gave me no warning and just brought me the bill afterwards.

So no one spoke to the manager and brought it to their attention that this restriction is not in the terms and conditions of the package you bought?

Don't let them get away with it. If they want to change the rules, then they should start with new packages being currently sold. Who would ever buy a package from NCL if they can change the terms after the fact?

They are not changing the rules. Before a la carte pricing, Ocean Blue was limited to one app, one entree, one dessert. The rule is still the same for SDP/UDP.

Really, it is plenty of food.

Sure you can, if you start ordering a bunch of stuff, the server might very well bring up the policy to make sure you are OK with the extra charges and to give you a chance to modify your order. I would expect them to do this, and I would be unhappy if they gave me no warning and just brought me the bill afterwards.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying. My point, like I said above, is that I don't know why someone would ask the hostess. Just order. It's not that big of a freaking deal.

They are not changing the rules. Before a la carte pricing, Ocean Blue was limited to one app, one entree, one dessert. The rule is still the same for SDP/UDP.

Where are the rules posted that it's different?

No, the difference is that one person speaks of what happened in Cagney's in the past and speculates it is the same for Ocean Blue and the other was actually in Ocean Blue last night and had actual Ocean Blue experience!

Can anyone point out in the terms and conditions where it states that there are different rules for Ocean Blue under the terms and conditions? ( Other than the $15 upcharge which also applies to other venues, and the exclusion of one entree ). I see nothing in the terms to suggest this. One has always been able under both the UDP and SDP to order multiple apps, sides and desserts in every restaurant included in the plans.

This is why I mentioned our experience last week in Cagneys when the waitress tried to tell us it was one from each category. This has never been the rule or the experience of others. Is it too far fetched to generalize that 'perhaps' the same confusion occurred in another restaurant on another ship? I'll bet that has never happened!

And we did not ask, by the way. We were asked if we had a dining plan as soon as we were seated, and then informed we could order one app, one entree and one dessert.

My husband and I were on the Getaway in January, and paid the $15.00 upcharge for Ocean Blue. We were not limited to one app - we each ordered 2 apps and 1 entrée - there was no mention of limit of 1 each, nor were we charged anything additional.

Really, that is not the point. Perhaps I would rather have two shrimp cocktails and skip dessert. Or maybe I prefer to have two sides. Or maybe two desserts. If any restrictions were spelled out in the terms and conditions then I would either be OK with that or I could choose not to buy the dining package.

Perhaps it does not bother some to buy a dining package with terms and conditions you have read and were happy with and then to find that they've changed the terms after the fact once on the ship. It's the principal of the thing.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying. My point, like I said above, is that I don't know why someone would ask the hostess. Just order. It's not that big of a freaking deal.

I saw this thread yesterday, knew I was going to Ocean Blue on Breakaway that night, and decided to try and be helpful. We did not personally want more than one app, but I asked both the hostess and the waiter so I could report back here. Why some of you get your jollies by sniping at people that are honestly just trying to help is beyond me.