Camera gear on tours that also involve snorkelling?

les37b

Wasn't sure where the best place to ask this question.... not cruise line specific or port specific (though it is a SS cruise!)

We have a couple of trips booked that are "land and sea", which will involve scenic spots I'd want my "proper" camera gear with me and snorkelling, where i'd use a gopro. Obviously in the water, the canon gear would be unattended on the boat, though probably nothing to fear about getting wet or "lost" overboard! Just wondering what people tend to do on this type of trip? I'd not want to leave my camera gear unattended on a bus, but taking on a catamaran doesn't feel me with joy either. (Nor does "leave on the ship!")

I've been in the same situation. Not only camera bags but wallets and handbags. I would first consider the location (country) of the snorkel trip. Second I would specifically ask a crew member to watch your gear. Lastly I would inventory my gear immediately once back in the boat.

We did three such trips on the Wind in the Caribbean last month. The catamarans were only occupied by Silversea guests, a Silversea guide and the catamaran crew. At no time did I feel my belongings were at risk. I am sure you will be fine and enjoy the great swimming and sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have the same problems. I end up using one of my Silversea back packs to keep my gear in. Placing a cable TSA combo lock on the zipper ties. I gently place it near the person or guide staying behind and ask them to watch it. Tip them later with a appreciation or small denomination. This has worked all over the world bringing 1DX's and 600mm primes

I will be using the SS back pack too....

This is all a bit new for me.... my gear gets packed and never leaves my side, which I expect will be the case on most tours everyone takes.

Good point about padlocks and something to tie it to something. Probably being a bit paranoid. Anyone with eyes on it would have to swim ashore!! Lol