Progresso - What excursions will RCI offer?

wrp96

We have been switched to Progresso from Costa Maya for our 12/18 Rhapsody sailing? Because RCI doesn't normally stop there they don't have any excursions listed on their shore excursions page. Has anybody previously stopped there with RCI and know what kind of excursions have been offered previously?

From what I've seen on the Progresso board, it will probably end up being an onboard "sea day" for us, but I didn't want to completely discount it.

We actually liked Progresso. There isn't much there, there is a little flea market in town. The cruise ship built, dirt/rip-rap pier is 4 miles long, so they run shuttle buses. They started to develop it as a port, because it is closer to the Chichen Itza ruins. They may have excursions for that. Friends we were with just booked the "Beach Break" $25 p/p which gave them free drinks on the beach. We enjoyed our day there, it was relaxing, the people are nice, and it's not as developed as some of the port stops. :)

Photo of the beach at Progresso:

http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise2003/Progresso_Beach.jpg

We stopped at Progresso on our one Carnival cruise. Carnival stops there regularly and their passengers are always complaining about Progresso. The problem is, they STAY in Progresso. The point of the stop is to go to either ChitzenItza (sp?) or Merida, the capitol city of Yucatan. We went to Merida, about a 30 minute bus trip, and really enjoyed it. It's a very clean city with a lot of history.

Check out Progresso on the ports of call boards.

There is a beach area with lots of restraurants, cold beer, and the Corona girls. Take a walk around town and you will see how the people live in a real Mexican city that doesn't depend only on the tourist trade.

Don't stay on the ship or you will be missing out.

We enjoyed Progresso ! We were there in 2004 on Carnival Elation. It is a relaxing beach town. We enjoyed our time on the beach. Lots of cold Corona !!! Be sure to ride the double decker bus it was 2 dollars and toured you around the town. Catch it at the flea market. Dont stay on the ship you will miss out!!!:)

Check out Progresso on the ports of call boards.

There is a beach area with lots of restraurants, cold beer, and the Corona girls. Take a walk around town and you will see how the people live in a real Mexican city that doesn't depend only on the tourist trade.

Don't stay on the ship or you will be missing out.

Um, I don't drink beer and I'm a female so seeing the Corona Girls aren't exactly an incentive to me, but I've passed it along to the other people on our cruise.

wrp96, we are on the cruise with you. I checked out Carnival's excursions for ideas while in port. Then I called RCCL who told me that they are still working on excursions and we will have to wait until we board to see what will be offered. It kills me that we had to cancel our tour with Ivan and David in Costa Maya. Would love to go to Mayan ruins but really don't want to go with a herd of passengers from the ship. That's why we planned the private tour in C. Maya. Re: the "real Mexico" experience, we live in San Antonio and I've had that experience by crossing over the border in Laredo and Brownsville. Don't need any more Mexican souvenirs or to look at the Gulf. (Plus at 54 and female, I too am not into Corona girls. Not to mention that Corona is as plentiful as Budweiser here in S.A.) Since we only have two ports to start with, I am sad that Progreso will also be a sea day. I'll be on the look out for you. We'll be in the RFS.:)

For those that want to know more about Progreso/Merida and the state of Yucatan, check out http://www.yucatantoday.com. There are many options for your port call. Several Mayan ruins, a beautiful spanish colonial city. Merida, pop 900,000.

Also an all-inclusive nearby with transportation. Great seafood and fish. all over the area and of course the Progreso beach and restaurants.

This area is in no way like the over crowded, over touristed and over Americanized Cancun and Cozumel. No Diamonds International or other cruiser chain stores and no Carlos and Charlies. Its the real Mexico.

Neither is it like Nueva Laredo. Very safe and very clean. I just returned from my second land vacation in the area.

I thought I posted on this thread but I guess I was wrong.

I second what hdawson said. Our Rhapsody cruise stopped at Progresso to bypass one of the hurricanes near Grand Cayman. I loved it! I did the Merida tour and really saw how the Mexicans live in that part of the country. No crowded touristy places selling jewelry, tshirts, etc., etc. Just the local Mexicans going about their daily business. The beach we stopped at for a quick shopping break (shop was across the st. from the beach) was clean and beautiful. I would have loved to stay longer. Please don't make this another sea day. Go explore and enjoy!

My apologies and mistake then, Hdawson. As I recall, I thought the pier building was mentioned as ship financed in a Cruise Travel article on the port. We really enjoyed Progreso. I thought it was a nice, relaxing port. We didn't venture out of town, but we enjoyed the town and the beach and the people. My FIL recently sailed there, and he stayed on the ship because of rumors, we told him that he missed out on a fun time!:)

We have been to Progresso 2 times. The first time, we were on the Elation. The second time was an unscheduled stop due to Wilma on the Rhapsody. The first time I found needles and broken glass on the beach. A lot of broken glass. The second time I only found broken glass. I did not like Progresso and don't ever plan on going back. Progresso itself is very dirty and I don't care for the bus rides along the pier. On the Elation, we waited almost 1 hour in line to ride a bus back to the ship. It's worse then having to tender. Merida is supposed to be nice. I wouldn't waste anytime in Progresso. Take the excursion or rent a car and go to the ruins or Merida. I love Mexico but I would prefer Costa Maya, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel to Progresso.

I wonder why you are not going to Cozumel? We were there a day after Thanksgiving on the Rhapsody and had a great time. Although there is a lot of destruction, the people are in good spirits and working very hard to bring back the tourist. The beaches were nice and the Corona's plentiful. The Conquest was also there.

cruiseknots, We are going to Cozumel but we are being diverted from Costa Maya to Progreso. I assume it is because the ships unable to get into Cozumel are being sent to Costa Maya instead. This makes a problem for the ships who were suppose to go there orginally.

we were in progresso last yr....I contacted mayaland tours

http://www.mayaland.com/

they were great....they have a 1-800 #.....they provided us with a driver that met us at the peir....3 of us.....and I had told them where we wanted to go...we drove into progresso and went ot a shop....then down the coast to a plce where someof the flamingos go....then inland thru some towns ...stopping at a little known myan site....where we were the only people....on the merida...lunch shopping....and site seaing....finally stopping at a restored hacienda....

it was great and I think around $75 per person.....

we had a good taste of the area.....

they have a great site....

hope tis helps..........trish

We also went to Progresso on our Carnival crusie in June of this year. While not a real tourist meca, it has it's good points. It really does feel more like a "real" Mexican city. It just seems to have a more laid back and calm attitude.

But if we go again we are going to do a ruin tour. There really is not a lot to do there, the flea market, the city bus tour and the beach is about it. And once you've seen it it's time to move on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 12/18- 12/13 Rhapsody of Seas cruise with stop in Progreso. We ended up taking the Uxmal tour offered by RCCL and loved it. Had only one bus going on our tour and our guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. We had been disappointed that we were missing the ruins at Costa Maya but this tour made up for it.

Archived