What's the best place to snorkel in the Caribbean?

Runitsajellyfish

I can't swim, but I love to snorkel. Yeah, I know, I need to learn to swim...but that's beside the point. I'd like some of your opinions on some of the best places in the Caribbean to snorkel. The things I'm looking for are:

Calm water

Clear water

Plenty to see in the water

Easy access from a beach (not having to tender)

I'm looking forward to everyone's input.:)

I can't speak to the best. We snorkeled last summer in Cozumel, Roatan and Cancun and of the 3 enjoyed roatan the most.

We snorkeled at Tabyana Beach and the fish and the reef were fantastic. The reef was near shore and was easy to swim to.

I'm sure you will get responses from people with more experience, but we enjoyed all these places.

Pictures from Roatan:

http://community.webshots.com/album/401042032

Pictures from Cozumel:

http://community.webshots.com/album/401039183anSQbt

Pictures from Cancun:

http://community.webshots.com/album/401055438

In Cozumel we snorkeled at Chankanaab and it was very enjoyable. Except that I was using rental equipment, as I forgot mine in a cab.

There were good fish right after entering the water.

You wouldn't have to be much of a swimmer here.

to me Bonaire is the ultimate snorkeling spot.....we have snorkeled in Hawaii, Coz, Grand Cayman, DR, Bahamas, Key West, Key Largo, St Lucia, St Croix, St John, Tortola, St Thomas, and a few other places...including The Baths at Virgin Gorda which was also breathtaking....but the reefs in Bonaire and the fish and the easy accessability makes it a hands down winner for us...its just a real difficult place to get to from the northeast...): Marianne

Thank you all for the responses and pictures! I've personally snorkeled in St. John, Virgin Gorda, Curacao, Antigua, and Grand Cayman. My personal vote is for Virgin Gorda, and my wife would say St. John. It looks like most opinions are leading toward the Yucatan Peninsula area, and down south to Bonaire.

Keep your opinions coming, and the more pictures the better!:)

hi..if you are looking at Bonaire...go to http://www.bonairetalk.com...there is tons and tons of info there....and everyone is really helpful..I got so much info from there before our trip.....they have a couple of wecams there too...and one of the regulars who I think lives there posts pictures all the time.....its really one of the best travel sites I have been too...Marianne

• 2 weeks later...
to me Bonaire is the ultimate snorkeling spot.....we have snorkeled in Hawaii, Coz, Grand Cayman, DR, Bahamas, Key West, Key Largo, St Lucia, St Croix, St John, Tortola, St Thomas, and a few other places...including The Baths at Virgin Gorda which was also breathtaking....but the reefs in Bonaire and the fish and the easy accessability makes it a hands down winner for us...its just a real difficult place to get to from the northeast...): Marianne

MsJ,

How was the snorkeling in the DR? Where specifically in the DR did you snorkel? We've snorkeled in St. John, Virgin Gorda, Antigua, Grand Cayman, and Curacao.

-Jellyfish

• 11 months later...

For a simple swim off the beach, I like either Salt Pond Bay or Cinnamon Bay in St. John (USVI) or Virgin Gorda (BVI) for good snorkeling. For a bit more swimming, I would recommend either Waterlemon Cay (St. John) or a boat trip to "The Indians" off of the BVI.

I thought Aruba was nice, had better and bigger fish, but it required more effort than St. Thomas did because of the strong currents (especially if you dont have swimfins...doh). I swear, the fish in Aruba were like puppies. They swam right up to you near the beach, obviously used to being fed. It was a little freaky for a first timer.:eek:

Haven't been everywhere, but I would venture a guess Bonaire would be hard to beat. It's a shore diving (err.... snorkeling) paradise and for variety of sites, ease of access, Bonaire is right at the top (if not the top) of the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived