Traveling single with a child under 16

mfabulous

I recently came across an article discussing traveling as a single parent with children under 16. The article referenced that a single parent traveling outside the U.S.with a child must have a notarized letter from the other parent authorizing the child to travel alone with the traveling parent. Is this true? I am a widower, what am I suppose to bring, her death certificate? As anyone encounter this issue

OK, Mexico's law requires a single parent to have anotarized letter from the absent parent, a death certificate, or court order giving custody to the parent IF you are going to stay over 24 hours in mexico, or travel beyond the border zones.

Carnival reccomends this for traveling on the cruise.

I cruise with my children, and always get a notarized letter from their mother. Carnival has never asked for it. When we travelled to Mexico via air last year, I had to show it at immigration at the airport in Mexico in order for us to get our tourist cards.

There are many people on these boards that insist it is the law to have the letter or certificate to leave the U.S... That is totally false. The U.S. government does not restrict exit from the U.S. in any way, only coming back in.

All in all, better safe than sorry would probably apply.

Shawn

I am traveling with my 8yr old DD to Mexico on Pride. I have full physical custody, and joint legal ..... do you think I still need a letter or just bring divorse docs stating 100% physical custody?

I am traveling with my 8yr old DD to Mexico on Pride. I have full physical custody, and joint legal ..... do you think I still need a letter or just bring divorse docs stating 100% physical custody?

From what I've seen on the boards, it's the joint legal custody that would make me encourage you to get a notarized letter.

Get the letter if you can without too much hassle from your ex.

Thanks for this thread! I had no idea about this, and I will need to do some investigating. I am a single mom, never married, and have no legal custody papers or even know where dad is. I better check this out further, we travel in Sept. My son is 15.

Thanks for this thread! I had no idea about this, and I will need to do some investigating. I am a single mom, never married, and have no legal custody papers or even know where dad is. I better check this out further, we travel in Sept. My son is 15.

There is also a form that you can sign under perjury that states that you have no contact with the childs other parent and do not know where they are located. My sister is in the same situation and has done this.

Don't want to get too personal on this one. Your answer might depend on your son's birth certificate. If you can't find dad then an affidavit from someone who knows you and knows that you were never married to dad will probably work.

Don't want to get too personal on this one. Your answer might depend on your son's birth certificate. If you can't find dad then an affidavit from someone who knows you and knows that you were never married to dad will probably work.

I have always traveled alone with both my children, i have never been asked for anything, nor have i ever brought anything with me. Just my personal experience.

Archived