Dawn vs. Spirit??

karolynpa

Both the Dawn and the Spirit are leaving NYC on 5/20. I'm trying to decide which one to take. I've cruised on the Dawn before, but that was in 2003.

Has anyone cruised on both? And if so, what are your opinions? If anyone has anything else they'd like to share that would be wonderful! Thanks!!:)

I have sailed on both and wouldn't hesitate to sail either again. The Spirit is slightly smaller and perhaps a little easier to navigate walking around. I think the Spirit's decor is more elegant and certainly more striking than the Dawn. For kids, it would be hard to beat the Spirit's facilities. The Dawn has Salsa's, which the Spirit does not. The Dawn has a movie theater, which the Spirit does not. The Dawn has the priceless artwork on display in Le Bistro. I found the Dawn's Venetian restaurant, while grand, somewhat too noisy. I didn't find a noise problem in either Windows or the Garden Room on the Spirit.

Choosing between the two is almost a toss-up. For me, the edge goes to the Dawn, but the right price and itinerary could definitely sway me to book the Spirit instead.

I have sailed on both and much prefer the Dawn to the Spirit. I would go based on itinerary though. Do they go to the same ports?

The Dawn's itinerary is King's Wharf, BM, Great Stirrup Cay, BS, and Nassau, BS.

The Spirit is actually an 8-day(compared to the Dawns 7-day) and goes to St. Thomas, US, Tortola, VG, and King's Wharf, BM.

Any thought's on these? Thanks!:)

Based on those two itineraries, I would go with the Spirit - a day longer (longer = better), and a more interesting itinerary (to me, at least). Another major factor to consider: cost. Are the rates comparable?

Based on those two itineraries, I would go with the Spirit - a day longer (longer = better), and a more interesting itinerary (to me, at least). Another major factor to consider: cost. Are the rates comparable?

Well the lowest quotes I've gotten are:

Dawn- $1517 (2ppl, inside cabin, including taxes and fees)

Spirit- $1842 (2ppl, inside cabin, incuding taxes and fees)

Seems like a big difference in price for 1 extra night?

Seems like a big difference in price for 1 extra night?

I agree. So it comes down to: what are your priorities when choosing a cruise? Some people place a higher value on the ship, some on the ports, others on price. Since you've been on the Dawn before, but not the Spirit, you might also want to experience something new. Or maybe not, since some people prefer predictability over the unknown.

Tough choice. I'm back to giving the edge to the Dawn, but that's partly because I've been on both, which means there's no added value to experiencing a new ship.

I haven't cruised before, but I too had to decide between those two to sail on 5/20. In the end, I went with the Dawn because of price. Based on all the reviews I've come across, it's a win-win situation since it seems like you'll have a great time on either. The Dawn's itinerary is new, but there are plenty of suggestions / reviews for each port. The Spirit offers 2 different ports and an extra sea day.

I guess it comes down to what you want out of your vacation and your spending limits. Are you willing to spend extra for the longer cruise, an unfamiliar ship, and those ports? Or would you rather save some $ and go with a ship you've been on?

You can't go wrong on either.

If I were you, I would pick the Spirit just to experience a different ship.

I've never sailed on the same ship twice.

Where did you go on the Dawn before? Was it a Bahamas cruise, or an Eastern Caribbean cruise? The Spirit also sails to the Eastern Caribbean, while the Dawn sails to the Bahamas. I would also pick the ship that goes to where I haven't been before before going to the same place again.

Decisions-decisions. I'm glad I'm not in your place.

What I would really like to do? Cruise on both ships........:D

That's quite a big difference in price for one extra day but...

Great Stirrup is their own island so not really a port...just a beach day.

I've never been on the Spirit but would love to be.

Been on the Dawn 3-X's so, obviously I like it;)

That being said...if I hadn't experienced the Spirit or the ports...I would choose the Spirit.

Then, again, I'll do ANYTHING for an extra day on the ship:)

Good Luck with your decision.

I have sailed on both and wouldn't hesitate to sail either again. For kids, it would be hard to beat the Spirit's facilities. The Dawn has a movie theater, which the Spirit does not.

When I went to Vacations to go's website and clicked on the ship it said "YES" for both ships the Spirit and the Dawn having a movie theater.

So I guess since you were on the Spirit, I will take your word for it. So there goes my plan for the Spirit next April. The kids like a movie theater.

Thanks

Mjasp, Cosmopolitan is correct. The movie theater was removed during the Spirit's drydock last fall. They still show movies in the Stardust Theater (main production venue), but they often schedule the movies at a bad time (e.g., once a day at 11 pm).

Cosmopolitan, you can get freshly popped popcorn onboard the Spirit in Henry's Pub. Very tasty.

Mjasp, Cosmopolitan is correct. The movie theater was removed during the Spirit's drydock last fall. They still show movies in the Stardust Theater (main production venue), but they often schedule the movies at a bad time (e.g., once a day at 11 pm).

Cosmopolitan, you can get freshly popped popcorn onboard the Spirit in Henry's Pub. Very tasty.

Johnql...thanks for the info., on the popcorn. I've been gathering info., for a friend (and her family and friends) who will be taking their very first cruise and it is on the Spirit.

I feel sooo responsible since I rave about NCL.

I've already copied and pasted your review for them.

You advice and opinion is always appreciated;)

Hi karolynpa,

Like Luke said, we have a great group ready to "swizzle" on the Spirit May 20th. Nearly 75 of us (19 kids, yikes!), many of whom have already been on the Dawn. We're eager to try out the Spirit to see if she's really haunted!:eek:

Come on over and join us! We're planning a CC get together as well as a Swizzlers party mid week.:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=250034

Thanks everyone for your input!!

When I had originally sailed on the Dawn it was leaving out of Miami and went to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Mexico. It was soooo nice.

So, the ports are definately not the same on this cruise!

It would be my boyfriend and I sailing, and we're in our early 20's. So, I'm trying to base my decision on which ship would be better for us.

AHHH....decisions, decisions!

Karolyn...

I say u wait an extra week and come on the Spirit's 5/28 sailing with us!

We're a 20's couple and an interior total is $1099! including all taxes n fees (but excluding insurance of course) oceanview 12something and the balcony is 15something total

BUT if that's not an option I'd say the spirit, although a lil more pricey, the itinerary sounds better.

Karolyn...

I say u wait an extra week and come on the Spirit's 5/28 sailing with us!

We're a 20's couple and an interior total is $1099! including all taxes n fees (but excluding insurance of course) oceanview 12something and the balcony is 15something total

BUT if that's not an option I'd say the spirit, although a lil more pricey, the itinerary sounds better.

Hey danyelle!

Is the one sailing on 5/28 an 8-day also?

Also, it's surprising that the price is lower a week later, because what I've found is that the prices go up as they get closer to summertime.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that price from?

As we're both in college, price is kind of a big issue! Hahah:)

Hey danyelle!

Also, it's surprising that the price is lower a week later, because what I've found is that the prices go up as they get closer to summertime.

The 5/28 Spirit sailing is a 6 day sailing. The itinerary is similar to the Dawn but it goes to Florida instead of Bermuda, and then to Nassau and GSC.

Good luck on whichever one you decide.

Hey danyelle!

Don't I know it! That's why we snagged this cheap interior!

Unfortunately it's not an 8 night. it's 6. It goes to Orlando, Nassau, GSC with 2 sea days.

i dont think i'm allowed to talk agents here but if u email me at

cocamo910 @ aol. com i'll gladly let u know where i got that awesome price

Lots of 20 something's on our roll call. Check out our list as we've got age groups listed for most of our group. I'm surprised actually by all the 20's and 30's in our roll call. You'd fit right in.:D

Of course, all ages welcome! We span the decades.

Lots of 20 something's on our roll call. Check out our list as we've got age groups listed for most of our group. I'm surprised actually by all the 20's and 30's in our roll call. You'd fit right in.:D

Of course' date=' all ages welcome! We span the decades.[/quote']

I spent a good portion of my morning reading the 11 page thread on the 5/20 Spirit roll call!!

I thought I had my mind set on the Dawn and now I'm so confused!

I'm an indecisive person as it is, and this is NOT helping! haha

I will definately join the swizzlers if I book the Spirit!:D

Of course' date=' all ages welcome! We span the decades.[/quote']

Lucky you! I wanted to do that sailing but i have finals that whole week. Our roll call is pretty quiet so far... :(

Archived