My First Trip to Ketchikan

AKMack

In planning their August Alaska vacation which includes a cruise through Southeast, my Uncle and Aunt have relied mainly on me and Cruise Critic. They told me about Cruise Critic and after “lurking” for the last month, I thought I’d start chiming in as I find the time. I have lived in the Anchorage area for the past six years and hope I can help anyone out who is thinking of visiting my adopted home of Alaska.

Aside from one business related trip to Juneau, I had never been anywhere else in Southeast Alaska. This was before my recent long-weekend trip to visit friends in Ketchikan. The following are my experiences and recommendations on just some things to do and see when in Ketchikan.

I spent three nights at the Edgewater B&B (www.edgewaterbb.com) just south of town. This is immaculate lodging with comfortable beds, living room, full kitchen and a first-class oceanfront view of the Tongass Narrows. Quiet. The wide wrap around deck is a really nice touch. Recommended when in Ketchikan.

I arrived in Ketchikan right at dinner time so we headed over to the very popular (I know why) Oceanview Restaurant (www.oceanviewmex.com). We had a 10-15 minute Friday night wait but if you like Mexican food and MAMMOTH portions of it, this is the place to eat. Wonderful stick to your ribs food. As the Mexican was so delicious, I’ll assume their other specialty, Italian, is too.

That night we headed around 12 miles north to a beach bonfire at the Chinook Shores Lodge (www.chinookshores.com). Wow, what a view of Knudson Cove! The owner gave me a pre-season tour of the lodges. These are full houses right on the water with all the comforts of home for six fishermen. Fully rigged fishing boats are available to rent. If I come back to Ketchikan for fishing, this is where I’ll stay.

The next day turned out to be the highlight of my trip. I took a one-hour Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Seawind Aviation (www.seawindaviation.com), a very friendly, family run operation that has been operating in Ketchikan for some time. Spectacular views as we flew over pristine mountain lakes and icy glaciers and along side sheer granite walls. I counted six mountain goats grazing along the side of one of these vertical cliff faces. Given the good weather we were also able to land on a mountain lake. The voice activated headsets were really nice too, as they allowed us passengers to ask questions of the pilot. I highly recommend this to anyone with even just the briefest of stops in Ketchikan.

After a good nights rest, it was time to hit the town. I love a good heavy breakfast so my first order of business was to find a café or diner that served eggs, sausage, hash browns and toast. I found just what I was looking for and more in Dave’s Red Anchor Café, a 10-15 minute walk north of the cruise ship berths. Dave’s is the quintessential small town local diner. 10-12 tables with two pulled together by the group of bearded retirees along the back wall drinking coffee and laughing. Lots of nautical brick-a-brack and the ever present smell of bacon and toast give Dave’s a real charm. I’ll be back.

After breakfast, I spent a couple of hours just walking around town. I hit quite a few of the many souvenir shops near the cruise ship berths and walked along Creek Street. One neat thing I learned about was the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau (www.visit-ketchikan.com). It’s located a block or so inland from the cruise ship berths and has brochures and actual representatives from many of the local lodging establishments and area attractions. I could have arranged my whole stay right there and then. Be sure to stop in if you don’t quite have all your Ketchikan activities lined up or just want to see what else there is prior to arrival.

My last full day, I got to do one thing I truly love; hiking a forested trail. When I arrived, my friends told me about a nature trail around 7 miles north of town at Ward Lake (www.fs.fed.us/r10/ro/naturewatch/southeast/ward_lake/ward_lake.htm. There’s a 1.3 mile nature trail around the rain forest lake with frequent interpretive displays which explain a bit about the local flora and fauna. It didn’t feel like 1.3 miles. The perfect leisurely afternoon stroll. When I visit Ketchikan again, I’ll probably hit some of the longer trails.

I returned home the next day. While this was my first visit to Ketchikan it won’t be my last. I’ve already started researching a summer vacation that starts in Ketchikan and uses the Alaska Ferry system (www.ferryalaska.com) to take me to more towns throughout Southeast Alaska.

Enjoy Ketchikan, I know I did!

Thanks for your imput on Ketchican. We stopped there last May while on the Princess Regal. We totally loved this town and our ship docked right there and it seemed as if we were docked in town. You could stand by the rail and feel that you were in town. Right down there across from the ship was the whole of town. We did the best shopping with the best prices right there and were happy we did not do too much shopping elsewhere. We could not get over the low prices on everything compared to the other stops. The people were friendly and helpful. We went to the (bordello) on Creek street. Well worth the price of admission. Very interesting. We took the elevator up the the hotel above and had a nice look around. Fortunately for us the elevator broke and we had to take the path back down which was a really nice trip. It felt like we were in the forest. The food was great but as the ship and town were within seconds of each other we went back to the ship for lunch. This year we are doing Skagway instead of Ketchican. Any info on that. thanks again

Did you happen to see a restaurant in Ketchikan that you accessed by elevator? traveling with a handicapped person who cannot do steps too easily. We visited there years ago and had a chance to have lunch there. I thought I remembered wonderful views.

I think you must be referring to the Cape Fox Lodge and its tram. I haven't stayed there but I remember seeing the small tram that goes up to it and my friends saying it is a beautiful place.

Quote from AKMack:

The next day turned out to be the highlight of my trip. I took a one-hour Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Seawind Aviation (www.seawindaviation.com), a very friendly, family run operation that has been operating in Ketchikan for some time. Spectacular views as we flew over pristine mountain lakes and icy glaciers and along side sheer granite walls. I counted six mountain goats grazing along the side of one of these vertical cliff faces. Given the good weather we were also able to land on a mountain lake. The voice activated headsets were really nice too, as they allowed us passengers to ask questions of the pilot. I highly recommend this to anyone with even just the briefest of stops in Ketchikan.

Thanks, AKMack for your great write-up on your visit to Ketchikan! Agree wholeheartedly with your observations on Misty Fjords! We took the Wilderness Cruise which was a tour offered on our cruise with HAL on the Veedam last year and it was FANTASTIC! We had heard about going there from someone we m et at the airport on our way to Alaska and were so glad we took his advice! The cruise takes several hours so the flight would be quicker, I'm sure, but we got to see several breeching whales and harbor seals as well as some beautiful waterfalls on that side cruise, so it was a fantastic trip!

Where were your favorite places to shop in Ketchikan? What were the best local artists/native items you found there?

Mack: I'd like to know that, too!

There must be a hundred souvenir shops within a four to six block area adjacent to the cruise ship berths. I'm not a shopper but I did and do enjoy native art and there was a lot of it. Favorite place to shop in Ketchikan? I'm the wrong person to ask. It took me under five minutes to find a Ketchikan keychain and exit the store!

Archived