Los Veranos Canopy - Pre-pay??

h82work

I've read all the postive reviews for Los Veranos & it sound like most of you paid when you got there. Looking at their website, they require you to pre-paid thru a wire transfer or paypal. The refund policy also seems very strict (30 days before - 75% refund, 15 days prior to tour - 50% refund & 14 days or less - No refund / changes - at least 48hours before tour). Is this a recent change? What happen if the cruise ship cancel the port or changes the itinerary - do you lose your money?

Thank you for your help.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Going on the Pride 7/16 and want to do Los Veranos Canopy Tour in PV and Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. Anyone know how to go about getting information on both of these, how to book, prices, etc?? Thanks in advance -

Randi's is pay when you get there. Here is her website. PLEASE - if you decide to cancel, try to e-mail in advance or at least go down and let her know that you are not going to show - when we went last time 4 people didn't show up and they waited 45 minutes for them! This is so unfair to Randi who only books so many at a time and usually has to turn away riders. She then loses money on no shows, and it is also rude to the other riders who are having to wait! http://www.randishappyhorses.com/index.html

And here is de Los Veranos:

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

They used to use the pay when you get there method, but probably too many people booked and "no showed" so they changed to pre-pay. I'm sure if the port is cancelled your money is refunded, but you would have to e-mail and ask!

Have fun - these excursions are the best! ;)

The Los Veranos business model have evolved during the last few months in response to an increasing number of no-shows. It used to be "payment upon arrival" with an added surcharge if you paid via credit card.

Their current reservation policy does not have a provision for "no-shows" based on a change in a cruise ship's arrival date/time. They may create a provision for this if enough cruisers contact them and voice a concern.

If this is a make-or-break issue for you, there is still the option to book your tour through a third-party tour broker, pay with a credit card and challenge the charge with your credit card company if you miss the tour due to a change in your ship's schedule. Vallartaonline.com is one of several companies in Vallarta that will book the Los Veranos Canopy tour, with the 10% discount, and allow you to pay with a credit card (with no additional fees). http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/CanopyToursdeLosVeranos/

Enjoy!

I had made a reservation quite some time ago for our upcoming cruise and I had also been in contact with them from time to time with various questions. Sylvie then explained to me that they were going to go to a new way of having people pre-pay their excursion.

Of course, I had many questions about that, such as "what happens if the ship doesn't stop at PV for some reason". She assured me that if that happened, we would get our money back. They are just trying cut down on the no-shows. They have been very good about answering all my questions in a timely manner and I actually like the fact that this is something that will already be paid for, so I really don't have any concerns.

Sylvie is WONDERFUL to work with and I have no doubt that if there was a ship issue that they would refund your money. I was QUITE surprised in 2004 when I booked both Randi's & Los Veranos that they did not require at least a deposit. Unfortunately, others take that as a license to flake or not communicate their change in plans.

Thanks, Lurkyloo and MSN-Travelers, for all the information. I have checked out the websites and they look fabulous. I will e-mail them both today and hope we are not too late to book for mid-July!!

If by chance Randi is booked - ask her to notify you if someone cancels! (First time we rode we had to do this because I booked only a month in advance, but we got lucky and she was able to squeeze us in!) If she doesn't, you can always head down to the plaza when the boat docks and if someone "no-shows" you're in! As I mentioned before - 4 people no showed on our last cruise! And I believe 2 people on our first! It would be worth it to give it a try! Have a great cruise! :)

Sylvie has been AWESOME to deal with. She returns emails promptly. As others have mentioned, you have some protection if the ship doesn't make PV. You also have some protection through PayPal. I like the fact that they take it in US dollars. I will be on this tour 2 weeks from tomorrow!!!:D

You confirm by email when you want to do the tour and tell her how many adults/kids. Sylvie will then email you instructions to pay with PayPal. There is a 10% discount by booking online. I have NEVER heard anything negative about this excursion and am SO excited!

MSN has some other posts under Mexican Riviera on where to eat and what to do while in PV.

BTW, hey MSN, where is the best place to go for currency exchange near the Buganvilias?

... BTW, hey MSN, where is the best place to go for currency exchange near the Buganvilias?

We rarely take or exchange USD's for pesos. We hit an ATM shortly after our arrival. We use our debit card to take cash directly from checking and let the little machine feed us pesos. AT the end of the trip, we ussually take a couple thousand pesos home to help us get started on the next trip. If you must exchange USD's for pesos, the locals tell me the exchange in the airport offers a pretty good rate for USD to Peso. The Sheraton (and all resorts) are the worst.

We use the ATM at the MEGA food store just north of the Sheraton, the ATM at the Scotia Bank across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe (red & white bank) and occassionally the Mexican bank on the southeast corner of the town square. There is also a reliable machine in the Marina area near (east) of the lighthouse.

We arrive November 4th for a couple weeks.

Enjoy!

We rarely take or exchange USD's for pesos. We hit an ATM shortly after our arrival. We use our debit card to take cash directly from checking and let the little machine feed us pesos. AT the end of the trip, we ussually take a couple thousand pesos home to help us get started on the next trip. If you must exchange USD's for pesos, the locals tell me the exchange in the airport offers a pretty good rate for USD to Peso. The Sheraton (and all resorts) are the worst.

We use the ATM at the MEGA food store just north of the Sheraton, the ATM at the Scotia Bank across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe (red & white bank) and occassionally the Mexican bank on the southeast corner of the town square. There is also a reliable machine in the Marina area near (east) of the lighthouse.

We arrive November 4th for a couple weeks.

Enjoy!

That's good to hear. I was a little nervous about using my ATM card there, but you obviously haven't had any problems. I had already heard the exchange at the resorts were the worst. I am surprised the airport would be a good place. I'll try ATM or actually going inside a bank to exchange. I like your idea of coming home with some "seed" money for next time. After this trip, I have 3 more cruises (opportunities) currently booked to spend leftover dinero. :D

Taxi question: At the airport, how far would we have to walk to get to a yellow cab instead of the expensive ones right at the airport? Would it be worth the walk? I hear its $30+ from the airport to the resort otherwise.

Taxi question: At the airport, how far would we have to walk to get to a yellow cab instead of the expensive ones right at the airport? Would it be worth the walk? I hear its $30+ from the airport to the resort otherwise.

After you clear Mexican customs and enter the lobby, look to the left (south). There is a set of doors at the far end with a taxi booth. If you choose to use the white federal taxi, purchase your transfer ticket and go outside. Cost last year for a party of four, to the Sheraton, was $29 USD. The yellow taxis are also out the southern doors and across the pedestrian foot bridge. I don't know how many are in your party or how many bags you have. When it is just DW and I, we use the yellow taxis. We use the federal taxis when it is four of us due to the number of bags we will have (they don't fit in a small yellow taxi).

Enjoy!

Archived