Can you wear your eyeglasses while snorkling?

softasylum

Hi there, I am wondering if the snorkle masks you can rent at the various venues can fit over your eyeglasses. The last time I was snorkling was quite a while ago and I don't remember what I did about this. I may have worn contact lenses that day but I don't recall. I don't wear contact lenses now but I will buy the disposables if need be. I would rather wear my glasses if possible. Can any one help me out with this thanks:)

Hi there, I am wondering if the snorkle masks you can rent at the various venues can fit over your eyeglasses. The last time I was snorkling was quite a while ago and I don't remember what I did about this. I may have worn contact lenses that day but I don't recall. I don't wear contact lenses now but I will buy the disposables if need be. I would rather wear my glasses if possible. Can any one help me out with this thanks:)

I did a lot of snorkeling in Australia while wearing glasses. It really depends on what kind of masks they have for rent, they may or may not fit over your glasses. Rather than buying disposable contacts, you might want to look into buying a mask that you KNOW will fit over your glasses and just taking it with you. They're not that expensive and that way you're guaranteed to have one that fits you, one you like, and that the rental place won't be sold out or left with only the small ones with broken straps.

If you think this is something you will do frequently or if you go swimming alot you may want to take a look at: www.snorkle-mart.com. They have prescription lens masks starting at around $65. A little pricy if you will just be using them one time but if its something you may use several times it may be worth consideration. There may be many other online or local places to purchase these, this site just happened to come to mind.

Wow snorkling Down Under sounds magnificent! Thanks and thanks for the link, I will check it out. Sorry to sound stupid but can I buy a mask at store like Modell's or Sports Authority or will I have to go to a Water Sports type specialty type place? :)

Wow snorkling Down Under sounds magnificent! Thanks and thanks for the link, I will check it out. Sorry to sound stupid but can I buy a mask at store like Modell's or Sports Authority or will I have to go to a Water Sports type specialty type place? :)

You can get snorkels at those places and also at Target or Dick's Sporting Goods if you have them, but they won't sell the kind with prescription lenses on them. You'll need to go to one of the dive stores for a custom order or order online for that.

I'm NO expert, but have snorkeled several times on each cruise. While I don't wear glasses, my hubby does. Pre cruise we purchased snorkel masks to ensure good visability and fit, not messing with this on a rental on limited port time... dicks and kayak. My husband generally removed his glasses, as the ear links arround your ears would break the seal and water would move in. so I suggest use your contacts, with a meedium sized mask to give you a bit of peripheral vision that is AIR TIGHT and will not mess wit your contacts. try any pool supply store or major sporting goods place. You won'nt spend 0ver $25 for a really nice beginner mask, know that eachh port you'd pay $5 for a crap mask that wasn't worth the $$, so the initial investment is sound, for us anyway.

hope this helped

carol

Sports Authority, 29 bucks: http://*****.com/lbse9

I forgot to mention another thing - this way you know that it's only YOUR mouth that's been on the thing :p

Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions everyone. Buying a prescription mask is an excellent idea but unfortunatly I don't snorkle enough to warrant it. I didn't even know that such a thing was available. Very cool wish I had come up with that invention;) .

I am going shopping today and Sports Authority is on my list.

:D

softasylum-

This is the #3 reason why I got contacts after YEARS of wearing glasses. Then #1 reason being that glasses are hot during the summer and make little red spots on my nose!:D The #2 reason is that they are much easier to wear under goggles that are required in my work. Happy Cruising!

One other thing, everything is slightly magnified underwater, a ruff estimate is 20-25%. So depending on your prescription, you may or may not need contacts.

After some 20+ years staring at a computer screen, my vision went from perfect to I can't read anything without my glasses.

I am going to be trying it without on this trip, see how I fare. I'm hoping the natural magnification will be all the help I need.

vincenzo:)

Archived