12/9 cruise: Seabourn-SeaDream Comparison Part 2

DisneyJen

Outside Public Spaces: This is an area where we were greatly disappointed on SB. DH loves to be on deck during the day as long as he can escape to the shade. There is very little shaded lounging space on the Pride. I guess we have been spoiled on SD with the shade he can find at the large and comfy Top of the Yacht Bar as well as under the large market umbrella’s that the crew will place over the Bali beds when it isn’t too windy. I like to be in the sun and the shade.

One of my favorite things to do is to sit with my feet in the pool and read … This wasn’t something that I could do on SB, as the pool wasn’t always filled. The location of the pool is poor as well.

One comment that DH made repeatedly throughout the cruise was how much he missed seeing the ocean when we were outside. Granted we could see the ocean from the sun deck near the Sky Bar but there was no shade to be found except at the little stools and tables near the Sky Bar. We also greatly enjoy sitting outside on deck after dinner to enjoy the stars and the ocean. We were shocked to see that the plastic chairs and lounges were pulled up before sail away each day. The only place to sit outside in the evening after dinner was at the Sky Bar … which is where the smokers tended to congregate.

Our verdict: SB can’t compete with the outdoor public spaces on SD. The use of plastic chairs and loungers that are pulled up at sail away it just unacceptable for a luxury line. SD wins hands downs for ocean views from the pool, incredible Bali sun beds with an ocean view, wonderful padded wicker chairs and table under cover but with an ocean view and teak furniture that is available 24/7.

Public Dining: DH and I tried the Restaurant 3 times for dinner and once for lunch. We enjoyed all of our meals … especially the osso bucco. We were invited to dine at hosted tables twice but we opted to dine by ourselves each night. The Restaurant reminded us of Dining Room on SeaDream.

We decided to dine one evening at 2. Instead of a tasting menu it was a steak menu. When we made our reservation we requested a table for two. When we arrived at the restaurant we were shown to a table for 6. When I asked Felippe about our table for 2 he said that there were none available since it was too uncomfortable outside.

Since DH and I did not want to eat with two couples whom we did not know we started to leave. At this point Felippe said that there was another couple that was braving the outdoors for dinner and that we could try that if we liked. DH and I stepped outside and while it was windy we certainly found it acceptable and pleasant.

Our dining experience really fell apart at this point … it took more than an hour from the time our appetizers were served until we received our main course. The table at which we were originally seated had started dessert before we received dinner. When we inquired about the status of our meal Felippe became quite surly. I apologized to him and said that perhaps we were having an off night but I still couldn’t understand why it was taking so long for our entrees.

He returned about 10 minutes later with our meals, which were tasty. The wait had been so long that I only ate half my entrée. We left the table before dessert was offered as we felt like we were once again being ignored.

We returned to 2 for lunch one afternoon. We enjoyed the offerings and were able to join another couple that we had met in the immigration line at the Barbados airport. DH and I truly missed the opportunities to dine alone al fresco. Felippe actually said to us “Remember to give us a 10 for a rating.” I just shook my head.

We took advantage of the Sky Grill for lunch two days. We loved being able to grab a freshly grilled hamburger in an informal setting. Our only complaint was that we had to sit on mounted stools with no backs at a mounted table. We were able to find shade both days.

The sommelier, Ryan, took outstanding care of us. We ordered the Silver Package the first evening and it was well worth it for us.

Our verdict: Since we like to dine al fresco and at a table just for two. We both agree that SD wins this category.

Part 3 is almost done ...

I'm enjoying your reviews...they seem spot on to our experiences on the Legend - in fact some of your points where items I'd forgotten but certainly agree with.

The seating in the shade around the Sky Bar and pool is very limited. Our experiences in 2 were somewhat better but I guess that's a vaiable that can't be predicted.

Thanks for taking the time to post...I'm looking forward to part 3!

>"..... “Remember to give us a 10 for a rating.”"

I find the blatant requests for '10's' very annoying, even if it is often done in good fun and sometimes deserved. I think the staff should stop it.

DH and I worked in the food service industry eons ago so we have a great appreciation for how hard those folks work. I really think that had we stayed inside at the table for 6 we would have had a much better experience.

Greetings Jane! It was so nice to meet you ... and we sure appreciated the M&Ms:D I agree that the staff shouldn't make comments, in jest or not, about the 10s. We did give some 10s out this trip to some very deserving individuals who we noted by name. We also gave some 2s:rolleyes:

DisneyJen, I completely understand your comments about Seabourn compared to SeaDream. Those Bali beds on SeaDream look just incredible, and I did look into a sailing on their ships. I also agree that the sitting areas aren't so hot on Seabourn, I don't like sitting on deck 7 at all, surrounded by lifeboats! And it's a disappointment that the pool is tucked away, not even really in the sun.

Fortunately for me, the things that I like most on Seabourn are what keeps me coming back to them exclusively; the wonderful suites, the generous single supplement, the dining room invitations every night (very welcomed from a woman traveling solo), and the bow whirlpool, which is one of my favorite places to be.

But I do understand and appreciate your point of view. I never did have dinner at "2", as I loved the dining room so much with the hosted tables.

Thanks for your report.

Jane :)

Thanks for the invite Archipelago! I am glad that you have found it helpful.

West Coast Jane ... I appreciate your point of view as well. Isn't it wonderful that we have so many options from which to choose?

I found your review very interesting. I would have to say ditto to your comments about "2". We were on the Spirit from Singapore to Hong Kong and found that the food in "2" was very good but the wait between courses was excessive. We tried it out the first night of the cruise and after 2 and 1/2 hours had only gotten 4 out of the 6 courses. We finally gave up and left.

We thought perhaps it had been a bad night and decided to try it again a week later. We chose to sit inside because we thought service might be quicker. Well it was by a bit but again we left before dessert because it was still over 2 hours to get to this part of the meal.

I feel that "2" is excellent if one wants or is used to having extended dinners but if you are one that wants courses to be more timely I would suggest staying the the restaurant.

Archived