Which lines have rooms for 5?

blestmom3

Hello,

My husband and I just got back from our first cruise and are now hooked! We want to take our 3 kids with us next time (ages 3,5 & 7). I found that RCCL basic staterooms do not sleep 5 (unless you book a suite, which we can't afford.) We want just a basic inside or ocean view room that will sleep all 5 of us. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Blestmom3

I do know that a number of the Celebrity ships will accomodate 5 in what is known as a "family" cabin. These are not suites, but rather, cabins which are slightly larger than usual, which have a king bed in one area, separated by a sliding partition which has on the other side a sofa bed (unfolds) and two berths. These cabins can be found on the stern of the Celebrity ships.

Also, you may want to consider booking 2 adjoining cabins with a connecting door. You can keep the connecting door between the cabins open, and if you choose, one parent can sleep in one cabin, the other parent in the other cabin. MY sister did this and stuck her husband with her son (both loud snorers) in one cabin and slept in the adjoining cabin with her daughter. Of course, you will have to pay adult rates for 4, but sometimes you can get a really good deal--like $469 or something per person--so it wouldn't be that big a chunk of money for the first 4, and the 5th would certainly go at a lower rate.

I have sailed on Carnival with 5 to a cabin. We sailed on the Sensation- it was the best vacation we ever took as a family. Carnival camp was great to my nephews. They always wanted to be there and hated to go around with us..lol

You can always opt for connecting cabins.

Disney has family veranda rooms that accomodate 5 but they are really pricey. On our Disney cruise last summer, we ended up getting 2 connecting inside rooms more cheaply than the 1 family veranda room was, even with paying adult fares for 1st two people in each of the 2 rooms! Plus this way we got a 2nd bathroom (very important with so many getting ready for dinner!) Still, even with this arrangement it was a very expensive cruise.

Carnival has older ships (Fantasy class & Holiday class) which will allow 5 in 1 stateroom. I believe you book a "quad" room, meaning 2 twins which can be pushed into the queen bed, plus the 2 upper berths and then they will give you a rollaway for the 5th person. We did not do this because we felt it would be too cramped, plus we wanted the extra bathroom, so we did 2 rooms right next to each other with parents in one room & kids in the other(the ship did not have connecting rooms). This time we're doing 2 rooms again, 1 is an outside & the other is an inside directly across the hall. We're bringing a baby monitor that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 so I can "listen in" on the kids and make sure they're behaving! Of course, my kids are a little older, and I feel comfortable with this arrangement, otherwise I'd never try this.

We just returned from the Fascination with our family of 5. (13, 8, 8) and the room was great. It had two twin beds, two upper berths and 1 smaller bed that laid on the floor. The kids loved it!

Annette

I am booked on Carnival Fantasy next month, and have 5 in the suite. This ship offers rooms for 5 in all classes of rooms, inside, oceanview and suite. I thought of 2 rooms but it is hard to do online because you have to do each separately. If I did 2 I would go through a person, so you know you are next to each other.

call celebrity and ask---some deck plans (like constellation) have rooms with sofa bed and 2 upper berths---totaling 5--others have only 2 uppers, but you can call and they will provide roll-away for free---we are also a family of 5 with 3 young kids---but price it out, b/c some do not give a break for 3/4/5 persons----for next spring break, we booked 2 cabins b/c there was only $20 difference in per person price.

• 2 years later...

enchantment of the sea has two cabins one inside for 6 and one oceanview that sleeps 8! I also believe the Freedom of the sea as well as Liberty have the same! Also if they stretch the sister ship of Enchantment (as i have been hearing) they will probably add the same to her. We actually got the inside cabin on Enchantment and later changed..

The Carnival Triumph has balcony cabins for five. Our son and family were in one last year; pretty crowded with all the beds down, but that's to be expected, I guess.

Bed should only be down at night time. When you head to breakfast they will be put away and not put back until you go to dinner.

How did your family fare with the rollaway in a balcony cabin?

I'm trying to remember the lay-out of this cabin. I *think* there was a sofa that turned into a bed, sleeping two (the kids were 5, 5 & 3) and a pull-down bed. I will check with my son to find out for sure.

It seemed like the beds were open a lot; I think the kids may have done some napping.

Archived