Kahalu'u Beach Park?

cctexan

We've heard some good things about the snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park and wondered if any of you have snorkeled here? Trying to plan a day in Kona for early December. Any advice???

If you want great snorkelling with easy access, then it's for you. The water is relatively calm because it's partially surrounded by a breakwater. There's not much coral to see, especially close to shore, because the water is relatively shallow and people can touch the bottom. There is some farther out. Lots of fish, and the occasional turtle (don't touch). It's only a short jaunt from Kona. Enjoy. We'll be back there in February of next year.

Dawoods - Hi, you went to the Panama Canal in Feb, just before us, and I see you're off to Hawaii in February - we're going in March. I really enjoyed reading your Panama review and am interested to hear how your Hawaii planning is going - what have you sorted up to now.

[quote name='cctexan']We've heard some good things about the snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park and wondered if any of you have snorkeled here? Trying to plan a day in Kona for early December. Any advice???[/QUOTE]

It's great IMO. Read Schmolke's thread "Snorkeling for those who cannot swim". Many references to Kahalu'u Beach.

Sammy

Hope you enjoyed your Panama cruise as much as we did. We hope to be on a short RCCI cruise to Cozumel in January, but our big focus for next year is on Hawaii. Our fifth visit since the mid '70's. We're planning a week each on 3 islands, Big Island, Maui and Kauai. We stay in condos rather than hotels because of the convenience factor. You make your own breakfast, make a lunch to take with you on your daily excursions, and save enough money to have dinner out occasionally. We love the Islands. We thought the last time would be our last because we really want to travel to the U.K. and other European areas. However, during our last visit, Hawaii was having none of that, showing us more whales, dolphins, sea turtles, and lava than any previous trip. The message was obvious. Come back again. We are.

If you have any specific questions about our experiences, feel free to ask.

This is the view from our condo on the big island last year.
[IMG]http://www.konacondos.com/images/lymans.jpg[/IMG]

Dawoods - your trip sounds fantastic, just wish we had more than one day on each of the island, but it's a start, and it really is the trip of a lifetime for us (we thought Panama was too, and it exceeded all our expectations). I must admit, I like the sound of staying in a condo - I really enjoy the freedom of doing what you want, when you want, with now restrictions, so that sounds idea. We are thinking of whale watching in Maui, helicopter trip in Kauai, the volcano park (ships tour) in Hilo, not sure about Kona and are hoping to get around ourselves in Honolulu. Do you have any advice on this?

The whale watching sounds good. The waters off Lahaina are known as "whale row", and we generally watch them from our lanai. Last year a mother and calf were just offshore for most of the week. Fun to watch her teach the baby. Take binoculars!!! The helicoptor tour of Kauai is marvelous! We did it last year, and although expensive, is worth it. Pray for good weather in the mountains so you can get into some of the canyons. If you're coming that far, the volcano is a must. Although there's no guarantee of flowing lava at any time, we lucked out last year with a fantastic display. Good luck. I don't know where the ship's tour goes exactly, but Hilo is only a short drive from the park, and you'd have more freedom if you rented a car and drove there. As for Kona, there are snorkel tours that leave from the dock you tender in to, and you can probably arrange something online before you go. I'm told they're very good. Again, if you rent a car, you'd be able to get down the coast a bit to see the City of Refuge. It's a fascinating place, and the painted church is in the same area. Along the way you'll pass Kahalu'u Bay, which is a State park and you can snorkel without paying for the tour. All you have to do is rent equipment.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Its my favorite snorkel spot on the PLANET!!! Cant say enough good things about it- but shhhhh...dont let the word out - we dont it to be Coney Island or anything! Hehehehehehehehe - thats what I call it to my husband. Most of the snorkelers are on the left (as you face the water from shore). Surfers on the right (beware of hammerhead waves in December) - been there, done that. Walk along (hop scotch-style, over the lava) the rocks along the left as close to the hotel area and work your way out towards the breakwater, there are several pool-sized shallow areas to enter gracefully. Get in there and then let yourself be dragged around clockwise by the current back to the Coney Island section of shore. Each trip takes about 20 minutes float time. There it is - my secret is out! I hope everyone will have an opportunity to try it once in their life!

Archived