Obstructed view really that bad?

ducklovemama

I've had them before. It usually means there's a lifeboat blocking part of your view. It never bothered me, but then all I wanted was some natural light. I didn't care about the view. I go up on deck for that.

Guest maler

It's not bad if you know in advance.

I just returned from a Hawaiian cruise and paid full fare for a balcony room that ended up being partially blocked with a life boat. Even worse, there were crew members out there all the time so we couldn't really use the balcony and had to close the drapes for privacy.

It was our first trip to Hawaii and we were willing to pay extra for a balcony as I had visions of sitting on the balcony sipping my morning coffee or relaxing in the evening with a glass of wine.

I was not happy and the cruise line and the travel agent both heard about it.

I was in Category GGG I think it says, L103 on the Caribbean Princess, is your cabin a obstructed OV. L103 and L104 are larger than other OVs, L103 is 193 sf, and is less obstructed than L101 and L102. The obstruction is that folks can walk in front of your cabin. There is also one bar (see the wooden handrail, thats it) horizontal across L102 and L101.

I took lots of pictures and posted them here somewhere. This is from the inside

Picture018.jpg

This is from the outside.

Picture021.jpg

I'd have to go look to see what FFF is. They tried to give us E or EEE? Obstructed OV and for another $25 per person we were able to trade up to the obstructed OVs on Lido deck. Awesome btw. We just loved these cabins as you woke up to see the new port in your face. We also found Lido deck to be very convenient and could walk out on the deck in front of our cabins until they closed the door at 6:30 pm.

I am cruising on the emerald princess in oct. I booked cat. ff obstructed ocean view it was a great price. What should I expect? Has anyone had this type of cabin before and what was it like for you?

I couldn't figure out how to post a little picture so here is the temp. URL showing Cabin E415 with an obstructed view. (I'm pretty sure it was a cat. FF.) This was taken in April 2007. We thought the cabin was in a great location. Check the deck plans carefully as cabins just a couple doors away had big lifeboats blocking their entire view.

http://pws.cablespeed.com/~cindyb/DSCF1317.JPG

I couldn't figure out how to post a little picture so here is the temp. URL showing Cabin E415 with an obstructed view. (I'm pretty sure it was a cat. FF.) This was taken in April 2007. We thought the cabin was in a great location. Check the deck plans carefully as cabins just a couple doors away had big lifeboats blocking their entire view.

http://pws.cablespeed.com/~cindyb/DSCF1317.JPG

Thank you,

For your help

Archived