Cruise From Hell = Pride Of Hawaii 6/25

kayow

Started off waiting about one hr. for our rooms to be cleaned after boarding. Entered room mirrors filthy, soap scum in shower glass shelves in bathroom not cleaned, only two towels, but two shower caps the whole trip.dust on all molding in room, found can of hair remover under bed and stocking, bedspread on top of the TV the whole cruise. They left my daughters suitcase in wrong room,person never noticed until the next day that the suitcase did not belong to her roommate. Airconditioning broke for 3 days. Children put in a room with three twin beds and a bunk, no room to walk, unsafe. Could not make reservations because we did not want to be on the phone all morning, we had better things to do on the islands. Grandson stepped on a 2 1/2 screw and bolt in the pool, it took over an hour for someone to come after the pipes fell off and they got the complaint. The help was no help at all. Met 3 people that were helpful and they were in the bar Spinnakers. Left jacket and camera down to take a stupid picture that I didnt want to take and camera and new jacket disappeared. We had eleven people in our party and four rooms and complaints from each room. Ship leaving in Sept. to stay in Europe. Hope they get a better crew.

Gee, I had the most fantastic time on the POH... so much so that I want to go back right now!

Let me go through your points:

1) We ALL had to wait for the rooms. The previous PAX don't leave the ship until like 10:30 a.m. the same day and the stewards have to turn around the entire deck. Our room was ready at 4:30 and that was no big deal. (deck 10). It sounds like your room was passed over, and that's a shame... but you only had to wait an hour for your room. What's the problem with the wait? Did you expect magic faries to wave magic wand and clean the deck?

2) The children's room was a room with *2* twin beds, I'm sure. YOU BOOKED IT THAT WAY. The stewards CAN add a cot, making the third bed (or was it a trundle, the steward showed me the room across the hall and it had the same set up you're talking about...) and the bunk is a stow away bed at the top of the wall. How is this NCLA's fault that YOU stuck 4 kids in a small, interior room?

3) you can make reservations at a) the reservations desk (which never had anyone there when I went) b) on the phone c) at the restaurant. You CHOSE not to make reservations. This is not NCLA's fault.

That is a shame about your grandson and the screw.

I found the crew to be delightful and for the very most part helpful and professional. I even wrote out letters for three of them (the 2 cabin stewards and a waitress) for their excellent service and professionalism.

How can anyone take this reveiw as anything but a rant!

Sorry about your trip. It does seem that you were not very well prepared for your cruise. Was this your first cruise.

That is very unfortunate about the screw. How was it handled by the crew. Did you report it to someone.

FB

Is your grandson stepping on a screw and the way that was handled. That was very, very poor!! Did you take him to the medical center onboard? I would have no even waited for someone to help. Straight away I would have taken him to the center and on the way stopped at the purser's desk to get a nurse or MD down there.

Everyone waits for rooms to be cleaned after boarding unless you board very late. The ship has just disembarked a whole bunch of people before you! We always take this time to eat and snap photos of the ship. Use the time for fun stuff!

As far as towels go, did you ask for more than 2?

As far as the cleanliness was concerned, did you bring this to anyone's attention?

Agreed this is a rant post. A lot of people just like to complain and sorry to see that you appear to be one of them.

What is a can of hair remover anyway?????

The reason I asked the steward to see the room across the hall from us is because we have kids and haven't cruised before and wanted to see the set up. That's when I saw these four twin beds and I asked the steward how had is it to set the room up, and the steward replied that it was very hard to make up the room every evening and that it took a lot of time to do it because she had to get the third bed wedged in between the twin beds and then take the bunk down and make the two extra beds and then turn them all down. I truly felt sorry for her... it really seemed like a HUGE PITA and I wondered why anyone would shove 4 people in a small room like that. There was literally no room to walk... once you got in the room, you had to crawl into the beds.. once the room was set up, all you could do was lie on a bed and watch TV.

I can't get over how OP added this into her rant; she's ranting about herself/the parents of the kids. No one forced them to try and save a buck by shoving 4 kids in a room that *had to be made especially up to fit 4 beds!!!* That is her own fault.

It must have been her first cruise. Still, the POH was my first cruise and I wouldn't have done that to my kids.

What is a can of hair remover anyway?????

Oh, wait.. you mean like "Nair" or "Veet"? :D

Maybe OP is upset that the previous person in her room likely had.... gasp... SEX in the room!

When a woman uses hair remover... there's a reason for it!:eek: ;)

2) The children's room was a room with *2* twin beds, I'm sure. YOU BOOKED IT THAT WAY. The stewards CAN add a cot, making the third bed (or was it a trundle, the steward showed me the room across the hall and it had the same set up you're talking about...) and the bunk is a stow away bed at the top of the wall. How is this NCLA's fault that YOU stuck 4 kids in a small, interior room?

quote]

They could not have booked it this way as it is required to have at least one adult in every room. They had to have chosen to have the kids alone!

Oh, wait.. you mean like "Nair" or "Veet"? :D

Maybe OP is upset that the previous person in her room likely had.... gasp... SEX in the room!

When a woman uses hair remover... there's a reason for it!:eek: ;)

Funny, funny!!!! I'm still going to have a wonderful time on this ship!!!!! Room not ready - more time in the bar area. :D.

It is too bad about the injury suffered though.

On another post, OP said the steward was no where around.... Yeah, no duh! The poor room steward was in that 4 twin bed room taking it up and down.

Poor room steward! Bad OP! Bad!

(O.k. now I'm just getting silly......)

Oh, I get it now about choosing to leave 4 kids in a room alone, which is against the rules! That makes sense... I hadn't gotten that far in the planning of taking our 3 kids on a cruise yet!

I hope you read this post Cruising From MN........:)

I booked a cruise on the Spirit for October 2008. A 13-Night Repositioning from New York to New Orleans.

When it came to picking out a cabin, I decided on an AC. Then I REMEMBERED, YOUR trip on the cruise a few year's ago and how you LOVED your Cruise AND your Cabin.icon14.gif

So, I went and checked out your pictures (and other people's pictures of an AC) and I chose the SAME CABIN....!!!

I think I had like 5 different cabin pictures to look at and well, I chose YOUR cabin because of the LOVELY paintings in the rooms..... (Some of the other cabins had paintings that were NOT appealing to me.......)

Those paintings seemed to be VERY Monet like..... And, I LOVE MONET....!!!:D

They remind me of all the Water Lily paintings I saw in France at the Monet Museum.:)

So, HOPEFULLY I will have as WONDERFULL a time as you.....!!! Which, of course, I am SURE I WILL.....!!!! How can I NOT....????!!!! I WILL BE ON THE SPIRIT....!!!!:D

The problem is: The OP made negative remarks and never said what they did (if anything) to get the problems corrected; put four children in a room they picked (children alone in a room is against NCL rules - for obvious reasons), and then complained about it; and complained about something (waiting for the cabin to be ready) that almost all of us have to do on the best of cruises on all cruise lines.

Thank you for your response.

We waited for our suite to be ready also and took the time to explore the ship. Nevertheless, when our suite was ready it was spotlessly clean and was kept in that condition throughout the trip.

I think that the poster had genuine complaints and could have been treated a little differently by the members of this board. I take your point about children in the room, not having any I wasn't aware of rules and regulations regarding them.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Ponte.

...is entitled to post a critique...

A critique ussually includes the good and the bad. This was a rant. The OP will probably not be back to this thread anyway.

That is very unfortunate about the screw. How was it handled by the crew. Did you report it to someone.
How was this screw incident handled badly? The grandson stepped on a screw in the pool. We haven't been given any other information on what happened as a result of it. Let's say you step on a screw in the swimming pool. What should happen? It seems there was a problem with something in the pool and the OP says it took an hour for someone to come. If someone had a timer and it did indeed take an hour, it is possible that there was a reason it took an hour? I'm just confused as to how stepping on this screw was handled badly and what should have happened???

There may be a legitimate complaint buried in this rant but after seeing a version of this rant posted inappropriately and rudely in two other threads, I honestly just don't care. As far as 'reviews' go this one has won a place in the 'disregard' file as far as I am concerned.

First of all, the words "cruise from hell" and "nightmare cruise" in titles always sends up an immediate discredit to the poster. Unless you were one the Titanic, Lusitania or another liner that sank....you have never been on a cruise from hell, so please don't say you were.

Heck, people on the Star Princess that caught on fire and those on the infamous "rouge wave" cruise on the Dawn, don't even call their cruises, "cruises from hell" and they were in far worse situations than you even came close to!

Started off waiting about one hr. for our rooms to be cleaned after boarding.

That is standard on NCL now. As part of Freestyle cruising, they don't rush people out of their cabins at 8:00 a.m. and herd them like cattle into public rooms like RCCL does. People can stay in their room until they disembark. Undoubtably, that is going make the turn around time longer for close to 1000 cabins. I would rather have the time out of my cabin be at the start of my cruise when I can dine and explore than have it at the end of the cruise and have to rush around the last morning.

Children put in a room with three twin beds and a bunk, no room to walk, unsafe.

You booked it that way. To me what is more unsafe than that situation is the fact that someone would be stupid enough to put three children alone in a stateroom. Talk about being unsafe!!!!

Grandson stepped on a 2 1/2 screw and bolt in the pool, it took over an hour for someone to come after the pipes fell off and they got the complaint.

Ok, this is a legitimate complaint and NCL should take responsibility for this. Accidents happen. The child could have stepped on a screw at home or at the mall or at school. The issue is what the person responsible for the area (cruise line, mall, school) does about the incident. Can you give us more details about how NCL handled the actual screw in the foot?

I don't understand about the pipes? What pipes? Was the screw from the pipes? Did you file the complaint? If so, could have been longer than an hour that the screw was off.

Left jacket and camera down to take a stupid picture that I didnt want to take and camera and new jacket disappeared.

And this is NCL's fault how????? People stealing things happen all the time!!

Ship leaving in Sept. to stay in Europe. Hope they get a better crew.

You are wrong, the ship is being moved in January, 2008, not this fall.

I only thing that I didn't like when leaving the Dawn 2 years ago was that they let us stay in the room but they made the beds while we were still there and told us that we could sit on them again until we disembarked.

Once the beds are made no one should be allowed back in the room. NCL staff shouldn't have made the beds until we left at 9:30am.

Phil

As far as 'reviews' go this one has won a place in the 'disregard' file as far as I am concerned.
You make a good point. And that's what makes this review and all others valuable. It's up to us to read each review and give it as much merit as we think it deserves. In the end, if you read enough reviews, you'll get to a fair and balanced idea of what the cruise will be like. But we all know, bad cruises can happen. I hope the OP submits his/her review to the official CC review section and icludes a review of the entire cruise.

My family is leaving on Saturday and sail on POH on Monday (I can't believe it!) NO ONE can ruin our excitement. Talk to me spleenstomper- you just got back. Tell me something positive so I can forever erase that mean- spirited, joyless, negative "review"!!!!

I only thing that I didn't like when leaving the Dawn 2 years ago was that they let us stay in the room but they made the beds while we were still there and told us that we could sit on them again until we disembarked.

Once the beds are made no one should be allowed back in the room. NCL staff shouldn't have made the beds until we left at 9:30am.

Phil

Uhm - on most other cruiselines you have to be completely OUT of your cabin with all your carry-on luggage etc by 8AM (latest) - whether they intend to make up the beds then or not. It does not matter to me if the steward makes up the beds while I am at breakfast or in the cabin as long as I can stay in the cabin until my disembarkation colour is called. I HATE waiting in public lounges when I could be in the more relaxing atmosphere of the cabin.

My family is leaving on Saturday and sail on POH on Monday (I can't believe it!) NO ONE can ruin our excitement. Talk to me spleenstomper- you just got back. Tell me something positive so I can forever erase that mean- spirited, joyless, negative "review"!!!!

O.k. How about i had such a great time I'd like to stow away in your luggage! If you eat at LeBistro, request Yolanda as your server... she was SO very professional... one of the best servers I ever had!

My review is on the Hawaii board... one post is called "Checking in from the Hilton Hawaiian Village" and the other one is something like "My part 2" ... or just click on my name here and go to my threads...

You're going to have a FABULOUS time!

Archived