One way or round trip?

Kerry&LuAnn

i traveled a lot, lots of car/rv trips in my past. for that reason, when i do a cruise, i just do the cruise. round-trips are so nice because i don't have to pack and repack...worry about transfers. i just relax and enjoy the cruise. plus we are limited to the amount of time DH can take.

when i do an alaska land tour, it will be in an RV. already planning that trip. last time i was in anchorage / seward is was too early in the season to do much....did get some fishing in.

Last summer I took a one way southbound cruise and did a one-week independent land tour beforehand.

This year I planned an 11 day land tour only since last July and just came back last week. But the day before I left I snagged a great deal on a one-way cruise from Seward to Vancouver for next month. So I am going back August 23 for a week-long southbound cruise but no land tour (just can't afford any more time away).

If you do a one-way cruise, it really is worth it to try and spend some time sightseeing in the interior.

John

We did a one-way northbound cruise followed by an independent land trip. Some feel it isn't worth doing a one-way if you can't spend any time in Alaska before or after the cruise. Now that I've cruised - I disagree. If the only part of the "mainland" you see is the drive from Seward or Whittier to Anchorage - it will have been worth the extra flight time and expense. Having said that - if you do a one-way, try to allow at least a few extra days (if not longer) to see some of the interior.

In 2000, my wife and I did the Southbound.

In 2006 and 2007 we did the round trip from Seattle. All Princess.

The one way allows the ship more time in each port. You see more of Alaska, especially Anchorage and Glacier Bay, and the inside strait from Ketchikan to Vancover. The plane flight is longer, compared to the round trip. You have nearly three whole days at open sea with the roundtrip and the one way you maybe have one. You usually can see the shoreline if the weather is not overcast at the open sea days.

Next year, it will be the Southbound again.

Archived