NCLA Pride of Hawaii Wheelchair Access

jeffh228

My wife and I just returned from a week on the Pride of Hawaii.

She is a 34 year old paraplegic in excellent health and uses a manual wheelchair.

We had an Aft Stateroom (9172) in the AE Category. The setup of the room rivaled any hotel we've ever stayed in - she had her own vanity with great lighting and the restroom layout was ideal - fold down bench in the shower and even a crank on the mirror over the sink to change angles.

Getting onto the balcony required a bit of a boost but it was easily accomplished.

Getting around the ship for the most part was easy (once you go to know the 'lay of the land'). Every so often we'd hit a dead end (stairs, raised entry, etc.) but we were never too far away from an elevator.

In the restaurants, everything was fine with the exception of the food in the buffet. It was so high that my wife couldn't see most of it - but the staff was VERY helpful in assisting her!

The one consistent obstacle was room service carts in the hallways. If they were pushed completely against the wall there was just enough room to get by - but there were times we had to move carts. We did notice several room stewards drop what they were doping to help when this happened - much appreciated.

The biggest headache was the night before we got off the ship when everyone's luggage was in the hallway - what a nightmare! It was the only time all trip we wished we had not booked an aft cabin. Next time we'll plan something in our room for that night.

As for getting on and off the ship in port - that requires assistance as well - those ramps are steep! Again here, the staff was more than happy to offer assistance.

In fact the only issues we had with the ship's staff the entire time was the night we decided to have pictures taken by the ship's photographers. As we watched the groups in front of us, we noticed that each woman was offered an individual sitting for a picture at each of the four stations. when it came time for my wife, the photographer said to her 'you don't want your own picture do you?'. My wife was a bit put off by this because he hadn't said it that way to the five groups that had gone before us. At least he asked - the rest of the photographers never even offered her the option. She was disappointed but we also realize that alot of times people don't know how to handle someone in a wheelchair (especially a beautiful 34 year old woman) and their attempts come out awkward.

All in all, high marks for NCLA and the POH staff for the experience.

If you have any access questions about the ship or the islands, I'll give whatever insight I can...

Thanks for the review and offer to answer questions. Great help to know about the need for roomservice when the luggage is out.

Was your wife able to use the pools or hot tubs? I was hoping to access the ones in the spa, but any that would work would be great.

Was your wife able to use the pools or hot tubs? I was hoping to access the ones in the spa, but any that would work would be great.

We didn't use the pools or hot tubs during the trip. The hot tubs are raised off the ground quite a bit. I thought I read something about a lift somewhere for wheelchair use in the tubs, but we never verified that.

Usually I carry my wife in and out of pools...

Did you have to tender anywhere and was your wife accomodated in the tenders.

We were lucky there. The only port that is tendered is Kona and we just happened to be going back there for four days after the cruise and so we opted to stay on the boat that day.

We did watch the tenders being loaded from one of the upper decks and it looked like it would have been a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the review and offer to answer questions. Great help to know about the need for roomservice when the luggage is out.

I was on this ship with my brother in May. The hot tub just forward of the pool has a lift, which we were able to use twice. I think the pool does, as well, but we didnt try to get in, as it was always crowded.

Archived