Beach in Kona

ISABELLA

When we were there last year we just went next to the tender pier out of the King Kamahamea hotel's small beach (snorkling equipment for rent too). We had a short snorkle and saw a green sea turtle which we followed for quite a while. There were also shuttles at the pier taking people to a good snorkling beach south of town...as I remember it was only $5 per person.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anybody recommend a beach, good snorkling spot, not too far from the pier. And how to get there. Will be there in December.

Thanks

The BEST snorkeling spot on Kona has got to be Kaha Lu’u Beach Park. It's not too far from the pier - but not within walking distance, unless you have time. A giant sea turtle came up on shore to take in some sun while we were there. The sea turtles also swam in the bay as my kids snorkeled – one started to come up right underneath me. There is an enormous amount of fish to see and a lot of different varieties. I even saw an eel which scared the heck out of me! The fish were huge too. They have snoreling gear and boogie boards to rent right on the beach. Come out of the pier and make a right and ride along the shoreline.

Kim

Archived