Cabin Recommendations/Thoughts with toddler

Havinsnest

We are booked on Splendor for December 27, 2009. Our daughter and son in law are considering going with us. Our grandson - now only 3 weeks old - will turn 16 months old the day after we set sail. If he's anything like his mom and aunt and uncle were at that age he will be a busy bee boy.

DH and I have an aft wrap booked. Since DD and DSIL are still in the thinking stage they have asked me to research the cabin considerations for a couple traveling with a toddler.

Any thoughts or pros and cons on cabin selection with a toddler?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Send them the link to my cruising with children blog where I have an entry about "the best Cabin on the ship" ;)

http://www.cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Basically (for us) the only cabin we could ever stay in with a toddler (or young child) is a balcony cabin. When the kids go to bed or take naps, the parents need a place to get away without having to tip toe around the cabin.

I once stayed in an Ocean View with my young kids and that was enough for me. I need to get away and not go to sleep at 10pm. :)

And my kids sleep better when we aren't in the same room when they are trying to fall to sleep.

So if their budget allows, tell them to go for a Balcony.

I agree with the need for a separate space for Mom and Dad when kids are sleeping/napping. I've not taken my kids on a cruise yet, but we have stayed in manya hotel room where the same issues arise. If we're traveling with somebody else, we always try to get adjoining rooms. That way, you can crack the door between the 2 rooms, kids can sleep in one room and you can hang out in the other.

Just wanted to reinterate the BALCONY. It is so nice to be able to enjoy adult conversation on the balcony while our son naps/goes to sleep for the night -- on our own little piece of heaven. Without a balcony, it means that mom and dad are on the same sleep schedule as a toddler.

Archived