Sea Miles Credit Card: DO NOT GET ONE!!

Loving My Life

Here is my long, sordid story. I will try to make it as short as possible. In a nutshell: they are rude and corrupt.

June 2008: On our first cruise and decided to open a card. We don't have any credit cards except for an American Express card we use for everything and pay off every month. Stupid us thought we would actually be able to earn a free cruise every once in a while if we used the Seamiles instead of our AmEx. Dh filled out the form with his ss# and info. At the very bottom of the form, it asked if he wanted to get anyone in his family a card. He added my name only, not my ss#, and I didn't sign anything.

Next day: Got an approval letter in our box on the ship. Great.

July 2008: Got our cards in the mail. Problem: We had 2 separate accounts, one in his name, one in mine. WE ABSOLUTELY DID NOT REQUEST 2 ACCOUNTS. I DID NOT SIGN ANYTHING. I DID NOT PROVIDE MY SS#. I DID NOT AUTHORIZE A CREDIT CHECK.

Next Day: Called Seamiles and was told there was nothing we could do. Just use both cards. Ok...

August 2008: ****Here is where I am responsible for some of this.****

We have every payment we make each month (mortgage, utilities, and other bills) automatically withdrawn. I haven't written out a check in over 2 years. We were away when the statement came in the mail and my mil put it in a location that we never saw. I never gave it a thought.

Sept. 2, 2008: Receive a call from Seamiles that our 2 accts are overdue. They were due on Aug. 23. Now we owed $100 on mine and $300 on dh's (We had extensive dental work done and used the Seamiles to get points, and intended to pay it off in 3 months when a CD matured). I talked to someone at Seamiles and she said to just set up automatic payments and they will take out the minimum due every month and then I can just pay off the whole thing in 2 more months. So I go on line and do this.

Sept. 3, 2008: Receive 2 more calls about our overdue acct. I called and spoke with someone else and told him I set up automatic payments. He said unless I made an instant payment today for the $100 and $300, it would show up on our credit report and would be considered 60 days late. So, I go online and make the instant payment. He walked me through how to go online and cancel the Sept. 23rd automatic payment since I had just made that payment online. The payments would pick up again in October.

Today: Look at my account at my bank and see that I am overdrawn $400. Because of that, I have many $35 overdraught charges. Turns out Seamiles took out the $400 that I instantly paid on Sept 5,then took out the scheduled automatic payment of $400 on Sept. 23, that I had cancelled!

The long and the short of it (after both my husband and I argued with the CSR and her supervisor and went over it for more than an hour) is that yes, they see we made the $400 instant payment, yes, they see we cancelled the automatic payment for Sept--I even had the reference # and name of the man that helped me do that. Basically what happened is that the payment was cancelled but then when the automatic system went through that night, it saw that the payment was cancelled but there was still a balance on the account, so it automatically added it back in. There is nothing they can do. They can't put the $400 back in our checking account. They will not cover the overdraft fees. We have a credit for next month. There was no supervisor I could talk to. He gave me a fax # for the corporate office if I wanted to file a complaint, which I intend to do even though it will go nowhere.

2 final thoughts:

1) When I was waiting on hold for a CSR, I got the standard recorded message: "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance." After spending 20 minutes listening to the same, very rude, CSR, I had dh get on the extension and said I was going to record the rest of conversation so I had documented proof of the nasty things he was saying, and he said he would hang up on me if I recorded anything.

2) Between the 2 cards, we had 40,000 + points. By being overdue 15 days, they took away all of the points we had accrued.

You didn't pay the bill on time. All other problems are follow on. You precipitated the problem and I don't see the CC company at fault here. Yeah, I know, your MIL hid the bills. Still not the CC companies fault. Sorry, I can't hold your hand on this one.

I am not how the heck they could open an account in your name without a SSN# and a signature, something isn't right there.

With today's technology why would anyone care about paper bills, it is well known that many credit card companies send them late and give very little time to pay them. To avoid this in the future, here is what I do, I use my email calender to schedule bill payments, it sends me an email 10 days before the payment is due, I go right then and set up a payment.

One thing about credit card companies, they will do what they can to suck every penny out of you, so you have to be one step ahead of them.

MAC

You didn't pay the bill on time. All other problems are follow on. You precipitated the problem and I don't see the CC company at fault here. Yeah, I know, your MIL hid the bills. Still not the CC companies fault. Sorry, I can't hold your hand on this one.

We have every payment we make each month (mortgage, utilities, and other bills) automatically withdrawn. I haven't written out a check in over 2 years. We were away when the statement came in the mail and my mil put it in a location that we never saw. I never gave it a thought.

Apparently you missed the point where I said I take responsibility for some of it. Yes, I paid it late so I can understand why they took away our accrued points. I have no problem with the fact that our interest rate increased. We knew those things would happen if we paid late.

My problem is that we made the payment as soon as we were aware, were walked through the process of canceling our Sept. payment, have all the reference #s and names and when THEIR system screwed up, we got screwed. When I was wrong (paying late), I paid as soon as I became aware, accepted the increased interest rate, and the loss of the points. When their system makes a mistake, they should take responsibility.

Oh, and by the way, I never said my mil hid our bills. She placed them in an area we weren't aware of. Don't infer things I didn't say. :mad: She is a lovely woman and it wasn't intentional on her part. And I didn't ask you to hold my hand. Don't know where that came from....

. There was no supervisor I could talk to. He gave me a fax # for the corporate office if I wanted to file a complaint, which I intend to do even though it will go nowhere.

2 final thoughts:

1) When I was waiting on hold for a CSR, I got the standard recorded message: "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance." After spending 20 minutes listening to the same, very rude, CSR, I had dh get on the extension and said I was going to record the rest of conversation so I had documented proof of the nasty things he was saying, and he said he would hang up on me if I recorded anything.

This the modern world of technology today:rolleyes: And people wonder why people take out their frustrations on the wrong people:rolleyes: Pretty much every cc company, cable co., etc. is set up this way. You can't win. I truely do not believe a rat's ass that they monitor these calls. I have had some lovely conversations myself with said people......

I would chalk it up to a bad mistake and cancel, cut, and shred this card........

FWIW I cancelled my sea miles card about 2 months after I received it..........not worth it IMO.....

Oh and this is another reason I will never set up my account for auto withdrawels......at least I still can have control over that:p

Oh and this is another reason I will never set up my account for auto withdrawels......at least I still can have control over that:p

I completely agree with you! I am truly sorry for the OP's difficulties, but it is yet one more example where people get screwed when vendors mess up an automatic withdrawal payment. I have several friends who have had similar problems. One friend had the electric company take out over $2,700 for a monthly utility bill when the meter was read incorrectly. Consequently, my friend had numerous overdraft charges until she became aware of it. It took her several months to get the electric company to return her money.

Scott

The CC is not worth the hassle or crooked ways they run this business. I had similar issues with them and closed the account. They begged to keep the account open but I declined.

The points can only be used on select sailings and then select staterooms. The last time I tried to use the seamiles for a specific cruise we were booking, they said the could only be used toward the Presidential Suite. The discount would only be $125.00.

Sorry about your experience. It's my opinion it is better to pay cash!

Don't other cards such as Starwood and Hilton offer cruises as well as other rewards for their points? That could be another option instead of seamiles.

Marriott offers a member card, not a charge card, that you can earn gift certificates for any cruiseline..Not sure of how many points were needed but someone i work with just cashed in for a $250 Carnival certificate...

Between the 2 cards, we had 40,000 + points. By being overdue 15 days, they took away all of the points we had accrued.

They took away all the accrued points.......is that in the small print and do other cards do that........it doesn't seem right.

The simplest way to get to a free/discounted cruise is to get a card that pays back cash. There are no blackout dates, special offices to call, etc.

OTOH we reviewed all of the cards for the 5 different cruiselines that we sail on (some didn't have a program) and felt that NCL offered the best deal. 3% on everything and 4% on any NCL purchases. Redeem them in units of 500 for $500 off of a cruise and use as many certificates as you have accrued.

There is a limit of 1000 points per year and a monthly limit also. But, you can take one out in the name of your spouse and thereby double the limits.

Charlie

The CC is not worth the hassle or crooked ways they run this business. I had similar issues with them and closed the account. They begged to keep the account open but I declined.

The points can only be used on select sailings and then select staterooms. The last time I tried to use the seamiles for a specific cruise we were booking, they said the could only be used toward the Presidential Suite. The discount would only be $125.00.

Sorry about your experience. It's my opinion it is better to pay cash!

Yes, sounds like you and the OP had a bad experience...........and I would be very upset if it happened to me...

However we have had pretty good luck with the Card so Far.

Yes, it takes a lot of points to get something out of it.

So far we booked and sailed on NCL's Pride of Aloha for a free cruise...we had a basic inside cabin.

We are now getting ready to book for money off our next cruise....so far all the info I've gotten from them sounds good...with no problems.

I pay from my checking account every month through the website.

The simplest way to get to a free/discounted cruise is to get a card that pays back cash. There are no blackout dates, special offices to call, etc.

OTOH we reviewed all of the cards for the 5 different cruiselines that we sail on (some didn't have a program) and felt that NCL offered the best deal. 3% on everything and 4% on any NCL purchases. Redeem them in units of 500 for $500 off of a cruise and use as many certificates as you have accrued.

There is a limit of 1000 points per year and a monthly limit also. But, you can take one out in the name of your spouse and thereby double the limits.

Charlie

Seamiles card with Chase now, not Barcley bank. I understood from the disclaimer, that they can issue certificate which could be used regadless with whom you book. Is that correct?

Never - Ever allow someone or a company or utilities or a credit card company... anyone at all... to come into your checking account for payment... this includes all the bill-pay electronic payment crap.

If you want to deal with automatic payments, use On-line Banking, where you "push" a payment to a company. That is, you only make payments that you schedule, and in the amount you wish to pay.

Again... NEVER allow any entity the ability or permission to withdraw from your account.

Never - Ever allow someone or a company or utilities or a credit card company... anyone at all... to come into your checking account for payment... this includes all the bill-pay electronic payment crap.

If you want to deal with automatic payments, use On-line Banking, where you "push" a payment to a company. That is, you only make payments that you schedule, and in the amount you wish to pay.

Again... NEVER allow any entity the ability or permission to withdraw from your account.

i have always lived by this and agree 100%. have never had an issue. I pay 90% of my bills online via online banking.

atr

Hey, I had over 50,000 seamiles accumulated and when I attempted to redeem and then learned about all their "gotchas", I quit using the card. I hoped that they might eventually modify some of their policies if enough people complained and I would redeem the points at that time. After about 6 months of no activity on the card, Barclay cancelled the card for inactivity and all those points simply vanished. I now use a card that pays me in cash for accumulated points.

Seamiles card with Chase now, not Barcley bank. I understood from the disclaimer, that they can issue certificate which could be used regadless with whom you book. Is that correct?

Geez...have they changed bank handlers AGAIN???

Loving My Life,

Did you contact the 3 bureaus (Experian, Equifax & Transunion) to see if there is any impact to your credit. I do question how they opened a card in your name without a credit check (using SSN). Why did you switch from using your Amex card?

Perhaps if we didn't have to deal with India on these types of calls we would get some resolution without additional problems. It is difficult to solve a problem when you are dealing with people who only know how to answer questions using a script. Experience has taught me dealing with them on something outside the script turns into another nightmare!

This is why Dell computers now sells a support plan guaranteeing support from someone in North America. THey lost market share because their customer service and support were atrocious.

That's what my Grandpa said. :cool:

Doesn't matter whether you push or pull payment; use a credit card, put your numbers on-line, you are exposed, it's that simple. Trust, then validate.

Back to the subject, Thankyourewards offers Carnival vouchers (available thru Citibank). I've never used them, but they are there.

Here is my long, sordid story. I will try to make it as short as possible. In a nutshell: they are rude and corrupt.

June 2008: On our first cruise and decided to open a card. We don't have any credit cards except for an American Express card we use for everything and pay off every month. Stupid us thought we would actually be able to earn a free cruise every once in a while if we used the Seamiles instead of our AmEx. Dh filled out the form with his ss# and info. At the very bottom of the form, it asked if he wanted to get anyone in his family a card. He added my name only, not my ss#, and I didn't sign anything.

Next day: Got an approval letter in our box on the ship. Great.

July 2008: Got our cards in the mail. Problem: We had 2 separate accounts, one in his name, one in mine. WE ABSOLUTELY DID NOT REQUEST 2 ACCOUNTS. I DID NOT SIGN ANYTHING. I DID NOT PROVIDE MY SS#. I DID NOT AUTHORIZE A CREDIT CHECK.

Next Day: Called Seamiles and was told there was nothing we could do. Just use both cards. Ok...

Sept. 2, 2008: Receive a call from Seamiles that our 2 accts are overdue. They were due on Aug. 23. Now we owed $100 on mine and $300 on dh's (We had extensive dental work done and used the Seamiles to get points, and intended to pay it off in 3 months when a CD matured). I talked to someone at Seamiles and she said to just set up automatic payments and they will take out the minimum due every month and then I can just pay off the whole thing in 2 more months. So I go on line and do this.

Sept. 3, 2008: Receive 2 more calls about our overdue acct. I called and spoke with someone else and told him I set up automatic payments. He said unless I made an instant payment today for the $100 and $300, it would show up on our credit report and would be considered 60 days late. So, I go online and make the instant payment. He walked me through how to go online and cancel the Sept. 23rd automatic payment since I had just made that payment online. The payments would pick up again in October.

Today: Look at my account at my bank and see that I am overdrawn $400. Because of that, I have many $35 overdraught charges. Turns out Seamiles took out the $400 that I instantly paid on Sept 5,then took out the scheduled automatic payment of $400 on Sept. 23, that I had cancelled!

The long and the short of it (after both my husband and I argued with the CSR and her supervisor and went over it for more than an hour) is that yes, they see we made the $400 instant payment, yes, they see we cancelled the automatic payment for Sept--I even had the reference # and name of the man that helped me do that. Basically what happened is that the payment was cancelled but then when the automatic system went through that night, it saw that the payment was cancelled but there was still a balance on the account, so it automatically added it back in. There is nothing they can do. They can't put the $400 back in our checking account. They will not cover the overdraft fees. We have a credit for next month. There was no supervisor I could talk to. He gave me a fax # for the corporate office if I wanted to file a complaint, which I intend to do even though it will go nowhere.

2 final thoughts:

2) Between the 2 cards, we had 40,000 + points. By being overdue 15 days, they took away all of the points we had accrued.

I didn't open the account because I didn't like the people who were doing the selling on our cruise. Also, I am not all that old but we NEVER ever have any automatic debits to our checking accounts. Too many things can go wrong. What we do is have all of the auto charges put on one card anf then make one payment at the end of the month, that way we can see the charges, make sure they are correct and still make the payment on time as well as earn points. One stamp, BTW.

Archived