Just back from Samana with independent tour info

queenL

Samana, Dominican Republic

I was extremely frustrated while planning activities for this port. There was little information out there for independent tour takers. We don’t like to take ship excursions and because this is an up and coming port, was hard to find. I found the following vendors:

-Cruisesamana.com-Only books through the ship/would not book with independent groups

-Casadoradodr.com- had fishing, diving,snorkeling, beach and whale watching excursions only

-Bavarorunners.com-never responded to my e-mail, but I got the impression that their tours departed from another city in the DR.

-Finally we found MStours at samana.net/ms-tours

They had the jeep tour we wanted, $65pp, responded to our e-mails, and they would let us bring our toddler. The only problem was they required a minimum of 4 people and we couldn’t get two more who were interested. They also offered the Limon Waterfall/horseback tour $55 and Los Haitses National Park $75pp

So in the end we didn’t pre-book anything and took our chances at the pier. Despite the many warnings that you must book a ship tour in this port. We still didn't listen. Yet this ended up being one of our favorite ports. When we got off the ship there were independent vendors trying to get you to take their tours. Since the jeep tour was not one of the options available, our plan B was the horseback hike to El Limon. The only drawback is that the prices were based upon 8pp on the tour. They will take you with fewer people but you will pay the same price as if were 8. So it is in your best interest to get as close to 8 as possible. We stood at the pier for about 1/2 hour helping the tour guide round up other cruise passengers to go. We ended up paying about $20pp for the exact same tour that the cruise ship offers for $79 Matter of fact, we ran into one of the ship tours while we were there. It was about a 1/2 hr ride to the ranch. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country and you get to see part of the island en route.

Once at the ranch, there is a store and a restaurant. You could either walk to the falls (free, just tip the guide) or go on horseback $10pp plus tip for the guide. Part of our group hiked on foot (myself included) the other part chose to go on horseback behind us. Even though we walked there were a few guides who walked with extra horses beside us the entire way. I guess they thought we wouldn't make it or would change our minds but we made it the entire way. My husband and I love to hike so this was a doable trail. It took a little over an hour to walk (one-way) to the falls. Note: I do not recommend walking to the falls if you are not an active person. It was muddy, very muddy in places, some steep hills, sharp curves, uneven terrain, and slippery areas. This is not a paved path like you’d find in a park. There was also a stream you had to cross (water was about mid-calf). We did choose to ride the horse over the stream. It was a very nice view along the way. Once your get there at the top of the falls you have the option of paying $2 admission to continue to hike down to the base were you can swim or you can sit at the hut and wait for the other members in your party. This is where we split from the horseback riders. They took one trail and the hikers took the stairs. Wow! My stair master had nothing on this climb. They were steep, slippery and numerous. I work out 2-3x's a week and I was breathing hard climbing back up these stairs. The falls were beautiful we didn't get in the water we just took photos and climbed back up. On the way back we did ride the horses. They charge the same $10pp fee if you wanted to ride back. We were running short on time and were afraid we would have to cut the rest of the tour short, so we all decided to ride back. I was more afraid of the horse then I was on foot. At least I can be sure of my own footing. When we were rounding the steep, narrow turns, the horse brought a new level of fear. The ride back cut the time in half. When we got back to our taxi driver, he cleaned our shoes for us then we were ready to go. He took us around to see a little more of the island and then dropped us off at the shops near the ship.

I can see why an unprepared cruiser could be disappointed in this port. It is probably near a mile walk to any real souvenir type shops. If you don't have an activity planned you will be bored.

A note to parents of small children: There are so few tours that allow you to bring a small child because of liability reasons. There are no age restrictions if you do this on your own. There was a cruiser we passed on the trail who was riding horseback with a small child maybe 2-3yrs old. I wouldn't have felt comfortable with my tot on the horse but I may have hiked with her in one of the kid carrying backpacks. This excursion we choose to leave my toddler with her grandparents. We weren’t sure what the hike would be like. Having taken the trip my husband thought it would have been safe to hike with her. I have mixed feelings. It is definitely too long of a hike for young child to walk the whole way. However, if you can carry via backpack or have a child who is old enough to stay away from the edges, or ride the horse than I would give it a go. Please don't be afraid or stay on the ship and miss this beautiful port.

While I was in Samana I got the names and prices of other tours available at the pier to help other travelers like myself who were desperate to find useful info in Samana. This is a list of the tours and prices posted by the pier when we debarked. I’m sure you can probably arrange other things privately with the taxi driver.

Samana Independent tours: Keep in mind that these prices are based on up to 8 people per van. You will pay the same price for 1 person as you will if you take 8 people.

Playa del Rincon $170

Las Galeras $140

Cascada del Limon $140

Las Terrenas $170

El Valle $140

A note about safety: I also read so many reviews that warned cruisers to stay on the ship, that this port was unsafe, particularly to those who ventured out independently. There was never a point on this tour when I wished I had stayed on the ship nor when I felt unsafe. I always take those comments with a grain of salt. I often wonder if people who say things like this are from small or rural towns. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta. What we saw wasn’t much different than what you’d see downtown in any major city. We were approached by kids trying to sell us shells but they were no where near as aggravating as the hair braiders in Nassau or the vendors in Jamaica. I really enjoyed this excursion, and would do it again, including the hike.

Hi Queen L,

Thanks for all the information. I have a question about the tours you posted. The one to Play Rincon for $170.00 you say that is for 8 people, do you know if that is a cab ride or do you take a ferry? I am interested in something like that, we have 6 in my party so that is quite reasonable.

Thanks

Samana, Dominican Republic

I was extremely frustrated while planning activities for this port. There was little information out there for independent tour takers. We don’t like to take ship excursions and because this is an up and coming port, was hard to find. I found the following vendors:

-Cruisesamana.com-Only books through the ship/would not book with independent groups

-Casadoradodr.com- had fishing, diving,snorkeling, beach and whale watching excursions only

-Bavarorunners.com-never responded to my e-mail, but I got the impression that their tours departed from another city in the DR.

-Finally we found MStours at samana.net/ms-tours

They had the jeep tour we wanted, $65pp, responded to our e-mails, and they would let us bring our toddler. The only problem was they required a minimum of 4 people and we couldn’t get two more who were interested. They also offered the Limon Waterfall/horseback tour $55 and Los Haitses National Park $75pp

So in the end we didn’t pre-book anything and took our chances at the pier. Despite the many warnings that you must book a ship tour in this port. We still didn't listen. Yet this ended up being one of our favorite ports. When we got off the ship there were independent vendors trying to get you to take their tours. Since the jeep tour was not one of the options available, our plan B was the horseback hike to El Limon. The only drawback is that the prices were based upon 8pp on the tour. They will take you with fewer people but you will pay the same price as if were 8. So it is in your best interest to get as close to 8 as possible. We stood at the pier for about 1/2 hour helping the tour guide round up other cruise passengers to go. We ended up paying about $20pp for the exact same tour that the cruise ship offers for $79 Matter of fact, we ran into one of the ship tours while we were there. It was about a 1/2 hr ride to the ranch. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country and you get to see part of the island en route.

Once at the ranch, there is a store and a restaurant. You could either walk to the falls (free, just tip the guide) or go on horseback $10pp plus tip for the guide. Part of our group hiked on foot (myself included) the other part chose to go on horseback behind us. Even though we walked there were a few guides who walked with extra horses beside us the entire way. I guess they thought we wouldn't make it or would change our minds but we made it the entire way. My husband and I love to hike so this was a doable trail. It took a little over an hour to walk (one-way) to the falls. Note: I do not recommend walking to the falls if you are not an active person. It was muddy, very muddy in places, some steep hills, sharp curves, uneven terrain, and slippery areas. This is not a paved path like you’d find in a park. There was also a stream you had to cross (water was about mid-calf). We did choose to ride the horse over the stream. It was a very nice view along the way. Once your get there at the top of the falls you have the option of paying $2 admission to continue to hike down to the base were you can swim or you can sit at the hut and wait for the other members in your party. This is where we split from the horseback riders. They took one trail and the hikers took the stairs. Wow! My stair master had nothing on this climb. They were steep, slippery and numerous. I work out 2-3x's a week and I was breathing hard climbing back up these stairs. The falls were beautiful we didn't get in the water we just took photos and climbed back up. On the way back we did ride the horses. They charge the same $10pp fee if you wanted to ride back. We were running short on time and were afraid we would have to cut the rest of the tour short, so we all decided to ride back. I was more afraid of the horse then I was on foot. At least I can be sure of my own footing. When we were rounding the steep, narrow turns, the horse brought a new level of fear. The ride back cut the time in half. When we got back to our taxi driver, he cleaned our shoes for us then we were ready to go. He took us around to see a little more of the island and then dropped us off at the shops near the ship.

I can see why an unprepared cruiser could be disappointed in this port. It is probably near a mile walk to any real souvenir type shops. If you don't have an activity planned you will be bored.

A note to parents of small children: There are so few tours that allow you to bring a small child because of liability reasons. There are no age restrictions if you do this on your own. There was a cruiser we passed on the trail who was riding horseback with a small child maybe 2-3yrs old. I wouldn't have felt comfortable with my tot on the horse but I may have hiked with her in one of the kid carrying backpacks. This excursion we choose to leave my toddler with her grandparents. We weren’t sure what the hike would be like. Having taken the trip my husband thought it would have been safe to hike with her. I have mixed feelings. It is definitely too long of a hike for young child to walk the whole way. However, if you can carry via backpack or have a child who is old enough to stay away from the edges, or ride the horse than I would give it a go. Please don't be afraid or stay on the ship and miss this beautiful port.

While I was in Samana I got the names and prices of other tours available at the pier to help other travelers like myself who were desperate to find useful info in Samana. This is a list of the tours and prices posted by the pier when we debarked. I’m sure you can probably arrange other things privately with the taxi driver.

Samana Independent tours: Keep in mind that these prices are based on up to 8 people per van. You will pay the same price for 1 person as you will if you take 8 people.

Playa del Rincon $170

Las Galeras $140

Cascada del Limon $140

Las Terrenas $170

El Valle $140

A note about safety: I also read so many reviews that warned cruisers to stay on the ship, that this port was unsafe, particularly to those who ventured out independently. There was never a point on this tour when I wished I had stayed on the ship nor when I felt unsafe. I always take those comments with a grain of salt. I often wonder if people who say things like this are from small or rural towns. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta. What we saw wasn’t much different than what you’d see downtown in any major city. We were approached by kids trying to sell us shells but they were no where near as aggravating as the hair braiders in Nassau or the vendors in Jamaica. I really enjoyed this excursion, and would do it again, including the hike.

Thank you very much for the info. It was very thoughtful of you to post this info.

You are so welcome! I assume it is a taxi ride however there are smaller boats docked nearby so it is a possibility that it is a combo tour.

Mind if I ask you a off-topic question? Did you happen to hear anyone who went scuba diving (either on their own or on a ship excursion) while at La Romana? My DW and I have booked a Carnival diving excursion while on our cruise (12/27/08 - 1/3/09) and we're just wondering if it's worth the cost?

QueenL: Thank you so much for the detailed info. This has really helped me out. I feel more confident about booking something off the boat now. We have always booked off boat at other ports but have read some discouraging posts about safety in DR. Thank you again.

queenL: Thanks so much for posting this info. I just came back from Samana last week and I planned our own excursions at every port except Samana for the same reason: couldn't find much info on independent tours. This is great info, as we may do this itinerary again with my family next year!

We did the ship's excursion to the caves and mangroves because we didn't have any info on things we could do on our own, besides going into town.

Thanks again for the research you did and for sharing your information.

Mind if I ask you a off-topic question? Did you happen to hear anyone who went scuba diving (either on their own or on a ship excursion) while at La Romana? My DW and I have booked a Carnival diving excursion while on our cruise (12/27/08 - 1/3/09) and we're just wondering if it's worth the cost?

Sorry, I didn't hear of anyone who went scuba diving here.

First of all, thanks to the originator of the thread for the great info on independent tours.

To Cruisin' Together-

Just wondering how the caves and mangroves tour through the ship was. What did they charge, and do you think you got value for your dollar?

Thanks

queenL: Thanks so much for posting this info. I just came back from Samana last week and I planned our own excursions at every port except Samana for the same reason: couldn't find much info on independent tours. This is great info' date=' as we may do this itinerary again with my family next year!

We did the ship's excursion to the caves and mangroves because we didn't have any info on things we could do on our own, besides going into town.

Thanks again for the research you did and for sharing your information.[/quote']

I am interested in the tour that you took, but I do have a question. I am handicapped and cannot step into or climb up on anything that is more then 6 inches. Are the boats hard to get into? Would I be able to get in and out without a problem. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
QueenL, Wonderful report, thank you. There a a few different ranches (paradas) that offer the horses to the falls. Do you remember the name of the parada you departed from? Here is a link to the different paradas: http://www.saltolimon.de/Paradas/paradas.html

None of these really look familiar to me but it could be that the photos were just taken from a different angle. I'll examine my photos to see if any of them have the name of the ranch in the background but I doubt it.

I am interested in the tour that you took, but I do have a question. I am handicapped and cannot step into or climb up on anything that is more then 6 inches. Are the boats hard to get into? Would I be able to get in and out without a problem. Thank you.

I noticed you'd asked this question and no one answered. have you by now called the cruiseline's shore excursion department to find out? I think they are your best bet. Let us know what they said.

queenL: Thanks so much for posting this info. I just came back from Samana last week and I planned our own excursions at every port except Samana for the same reason: couldn't find much info on independent tours. This is great info' date=' as we may do this itinerary again with my family next year!

Thanks again for the research you did and for sharing your information.[/quote']

Thanks to the OP for all the great info! I'd be interested to know how the caves and mangroves tour was, also. We are going in April.

DH is interested in this (probably because of the speed boat aspect of it!). Was the speed boat a rough ride for 30-40 minutes? I've been avoiding the 4x4 or safari trip because it indicates it is off road and very bumpy. We have to be concerned about our necks! About how many people does a boat hold?

I notice it says C&M is a 3 on activity level, meaning strenuous, so am concerned. From the photos, it looks as if the boat that pulls right up to the ship is easily boarded, but what concerns me is the ducking inside the cave. What sort of climbing is involved? We can climb, but maybe not as rapidly as younger folk. We are 68 and 72.

Help us decide if we can do this, or if we'd be a burden on the rest of the group. Thanks

I noticed you'd asked this question and no one answered. have you by now called the cruiseline's shore excursion department to find out? I think they are your best bet. Let us know what they said.

The shore excursion dept. never quite have the details. I always like to get first hand info from someone that has experienced the tour. I have been mislead before.

thank you for posting all that wonderful info, we have 6 people in our group and are interested in the jeep tour. i wrote the company but haven't heard back from them, can you give me info about that, or should i just call them, thanks again

Great info on independent tours. Thank you. Does anyone have any info on ship excursions? My group is fairly new to cruising and would feel most comfortable booking on the ship. We were interested in the mangroves and kayak excursion but wonder about how physical this excursion is. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

QueenL: Thank you so much for posting this info! I've been looking for an independent whale-watching tour since we'll be cruising during peak season and have posted several questions looking for operators for this but to no avail. I will check into the operator you've listed.

Thanks again for your invaluable information!:D

Karen

thank you for posting all that wonderful info, we have 6 people in our group and are interested in the jeep tour. i wrote the company but haven't heard back from them, can you give me info about that, or should i just call them, thanks again

The first time I emailed mstours they took awhile responding to me to. If you have the luxury of time I'd send another e-mail and just wait. I think it took a week or so the first time.

I am also interested in what any participant(s) thought of the Caves & Mangroves tour. We are deciding between that and the Cayo Levantado beach break for our 3/09 cruise on the Jewel -- or we may do nothing at all, not even get off the ship. I hate to miss opportunities to see new things, though, and we love the kayak tours 'cause they make us feel more fit than we really are. ;)

TIA,

D from NJ

Archived