Amedee Island shore tour

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

It is worth every dollar and then some. The day my fiancee and I spent at Amedee was the most perfect day we've had together.

The staff from the tour company could not have looked after us better, they were fantastic.

We took our own snorkel gear and spent a lot of the day snorkeling. There was a huge array of sea life just meters from the shore. We were taken on a reef tour to watch shark feeding, we went in a glass bottom boat to some deeper coral reefs and went snorkeling off the back off the boat. There were soooo many fish there it was like swimming through a cloud of multi-coloured rainbows, truly beautiful.

Lunch was a gorgeous fresh buffet with dancing, etc for entertainment. You were welcomed to lunch with a rum cocktail (and could have multiple refils) wine was also supplied at lunch (and again, help yourself to as much or as little as you liked).

It was just a perfect day - exhausting, but well worth it.

IF you have any questions just ask.

A couple of questions........

Has anyone done the Amedee Island shore tour?

Did you think it was worth the money?

Hi Nikki

We too did this tour and yes it is fantastic and worth the money - in fact I think it has come down in price from when we went on 2 years ago.

You can dive off the glass bottom boat and some girls were swimming under the boat.

The food is fantastic and most unusual but it was just absolutely beautiful. Seafood and everything. Wine at the table as well.

I unfortunately had one hell of a hangover from the night before and didnt enjoy myself as much as I could have. :o Won't be doing that again!

Just watch out for the snakes! If you leave them alone they will leave you alone and they are black and bright yellow so you cannot miss them.

My only gripe was that we had a large group of Japanese guys (not from P & O cruise just another tourist group) who were harrassing a snake!! and also they were smoking whilst getting food from the buffet (I told them right off!!:mad:).

Also we paid $5 for a small can of soft drink - so make sure you take plenty of water.

Have fun - Liz

I havent done it but cruised with 2 couples who did it and they all said it was the best thing. The photos they took certainly painted a wonderful picture.

Have you done a search of this forum as I am sure they did a review of it.

Echoing what everyone so far has said, YES I've done it and YES it is worth every cent. The P&O tour includes everything including things that are normally extra (like the shark/fish feeding, entry into the lighthouse, the glass bottom boat ride) so it's comparable to doing it indepantanly. Which isn't recommmended anyway as the independant tours actually get back to Noumea after the ship has sailed (well it did the day we were there anyway).

You'll hear a lot about the snakes on the island (see photo). Don't be worried about them, if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I am petrified of snakes, but these generally didn't worry me, because I knew to expect them, so it wasn't a shock/suprise to come across them.

2215235100078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

I agree with everything that's been psted. One 'must do' is climb the lighthouse, the views over the island and back to the mainland are wonderful.

It's a bit of a climb - from memory about 243 steps - so make sure you take your water bottle with you and take your time By the way I'm well and truly past retirement age and had no problems.

Cheers,

Roy

I agree with everything that's been psted. One 'must do' is climb the lighthouse, the views over the island and back to the mainland are wonderful.

It's a bit of a climb - from memory about 243 steps - so make sure you take your water bottle with you and take your time By the way I'm well and truly past retirement age and had no problems.

Cheers,

Roy

The climb up the 243 stairs

2145904500078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

is well worth it for the view.

2626765620078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh wow, I've been wondering if this tour is a good one so now I'm going to book it. Sounds great. Wanted to do this tour when we did our first cruise but it was on at the time so will book it this time.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the replies, and some fantistic photo's, you have all made our minds up, we'll be booking this tour. Not sure about the snakes though:eek:, (although they sound a little better than the brown variety we get at home!).

Every time we tried to book this tour, by the time we made our minds up it was always book out!, so this time I'll book before we sail:)

• 3 weeks later...
A couple of questions........

Has anyone done the Amedee Island shore tour?

Did you think it was worth the money?

we must have had a bum day

Because I did not think it worth the money,

I did much better snorkelling at Vila on Cruise shore tour for just $55

When it came to shark feeding only a few could see in a tiny area - those people who pushed and shoved past others,

We were told to stay in our places and that shark feeding would take place both sides- but as i said only those pushy enough to shove past others got to see anything,

As form snorkelling off a glass bottom boat- the boat was so cramped it would be difficult to get on and off for only Half an hour timeframe,

tried snorkelling off beach and all coral was dead and no life at all to be seen underwater.

Queing for lunch was long winded and I thought they actually booked too many people for it to be leisurely.

both my husband and I were disappointed -

We paid $179 each Australian last August

and we thought Mystery Island was much nicer and it was Free.

The snorkelling was non existant from the beach and I would Pay $180 Aussie to go Snorkelling from Cairns or Port Douglas (out to reef)

but wouldn't ever refer anyone to doing Amedee Island.

I know I'll get slammed for offering a differing opinion but that was hoe we saw it.

Archived