Ambergis Caye must do suggestions....

tonyandlala

Hi All,

Thinking of doing a day trip to Ambergis and want input on any MUST DO things while there.

Am i correct that their will be more to do on Ambergis than Caye Caulker, Caulker seems wonderful but don't seem like there is too many bars on the waterfront.

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

Thinking of doing a day trip to Ambergis and want input on any MUST DO things while there.

Am i correct that their will be more to do on Ambergis than Caye Caulker, Caulker seems wonderful but don't seem like there is too many bars on the waterfront.

Thanks in advance

There are only 2 ways I know of to get to Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker and that would be by water taxi or plane. By water taxi it is 45 minutes to Caulker and 1 1/2 hours to Ambergris, which would leave you little time to explore. On our last trip, I was going to catch the water taxi [just google Caye Caulker water taxi for more info] to Caye Caulker since it was closer. But we were only scheduled to be in port from 8-4. The first tender we could get out wasn't until 9:30 because the people with ship sponsored tours got the first tender tickets. The last tender back to the ship was 3pm. When you get to the port, you still have to get to the water taxi which is a few blocks from the enclosed port area. I wouldn't have been too comfortable walking that far.

We ended up deciding not to go because we were worried we wouldn't have had enough time.

Coral Breeze tours offers an excursion that will take you to Caye Caulker

that might be easier than going on your own.

You could also check the flight schedule- I think that would be the only way to get to Ambergris Caye and have much time to explore.

Not really enough time to do Ambergris.....Caye Caulker, if on a tour. AC you would have to do the water taxi... that 1 - 1.5 hours one way...a flight, well you would have to get to the airport after a tender into Belize City....then hopefully catch a flight, but still alot of time, aggrevation and stress. Stick with the tours on this one and when you want to visit AC or CC, do it when you have a couple days like we did. AC is beautiful and like a little Miami..... CC is a sleepy little fishing town with some great dining adventures, a few bars and some darn friendly locals !

We have seen many great reviews of Key Caulker....is there any way to do it in 6h?

Given that you will have to allow time to get to the water taxis from the ship... then the time to get to CC in the water taxis.....then time it so you get back to the home base for the water taxis and then catch the tender back to the ship..... Awful lot of planning would have to be done and w/out a hitch. I personally would just do a tour over to CC via the ship or private tour operators.

As much as i don't want to hear that we really don't have time to get there i sure do appreciate the input and probably will take the advice.

Was really hoping to snorkel/dive those reefs off AC, guess we'll just have to come for a few days next time!

Thanks to All who replied!

Ciao

As much as i don't want to hear that we really don't have time to get there i sure do appreciate the input and probably will take the advice.

Was really hoping to snorkel/dive those reefs off AC, guess we'll just have to come for a few days next time!

Thanks to All who replied!

Ciao

I believe that Coral Breeze Tours offers a tour and pick you up at the ship... not for certain, but reports say that tours thru them can be done within the time you are in Belize. You may want to check them out via google.

• 2 weeks later...

We just visited Ambergis Caye on our March cruise. We booked a tour which included the flight to Ambergis and snorkeling off a boat (2 stops--Hol Chan marine reserve & shark/ray alley). The plane ride was about 15 minutes, then about an hour and half snorkeling, followed by an hour and half time on your own to wander around town before heading back to the plane. It is doable as a day trip, but you have to be prepared that you won't be able to see everything.

We had been to Caye Caulker on a previous trip and wanted to do something different. I have to say, the snorkeling at Hol Chan is some of the best I've ever seen and the town of San Pedro on Ambergis Caye was very charming.

Thanks to All who replied! Ciao

We have been to this port many times on cruise ships and always taxi over to the Municipal airport (round trip plane ticket on Tropic Air is a lot cheaper to San Pedro from Municipal airport than from Belize International airport).

2764364190091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Take Tropic Air to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and we use Ambergris Divers for a two tank boat dive with the S I T spent on shore at the dive shop. The reefs are just off shore and lots of large critters to play with

2696921830091393226S500x500Q85.jpg2794110200091393226S500x500Q85.jpg

Then it is Margaritas or a cold Fanta and lunch just up the beach (maybe 35 yards) from Ambergris Divers shop. This is a view from the restaurant.

2556606690091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Catch the return flight to Belize City and tender back to the ship. The full day will cost about $160.00 per diver ($100.00 for non divers). Hard to beat this day in my book. If you want details I will post the web sights for all the above businesses.

2667003640091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

The only trick to enjoying this day for me is that each person is responsible for for their own self to get ready early, get off the ship as quickly as possible and get to the airport without delay. Then you can relax and enjoy the dive and lunch, get back into gear and catch the plane back. We have never had a problem but everyone has to stay with the leader of the group to keep things moving. The photo's are from several different trips which proves it can be done with ease.

For more "inspiration" to go for it look at my webshots page below or click on one of the pictures for a better feel for the day (it is well worth the effort).

• 3 months later...

Shoretrips.com has the fly and dive tour to Amergris Caye. We're considering taking it. They tell on the website which times you need to take in order to get back to your ship. Example, 6:45 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. gets you back to tourism village at 1:20 p.m., 8:45 a.m. gets you back at 2:20 p.m. and 9:45 a.m. gets you back at 3:20. Don't forget to account for island time versus ship time. It says it includes pick-up at the pier, transfer to airport, flight and return trip to pier. Even includes dive gear or you can take your own (but they ask you to keep it to a minimum). Includes 2 dives (morning and afternoon). Between dives you go back to San Pedro and have time to go get lunch (not included in price). Total price is $183. I just really wish I could find someone who has done this specific tour.

Archived