Behind the scenes 3 1/3 hr tour on Glory

Seayalater

My wife and I just got off the Glory this morning and we also participated in the tour. The $95 dollar pp charge was totally worth it and to be quite honest, it was the highlight of our cruise. We have often wanted to know what the crew's area looks like and this tour afforded that to us. We were on the Eastern Carib. itinerary, and the tour was scheduled for Thursday our second sea day, however due to a change in itinerary due to TS Ericka, we had our tour Friday at 9:15. The Corporate Trainers (which is the individuals in charge of most HR functions on the ship) are the ones who conduct the training. The best part is that they take you to each section, and the chief or manager of that area gives you an overview of their jobs along with answering any questions that you may have. Our group was very interactive and our tour lasted longer than the 3 1/2 hours. We started at 9:15 AM and did not finish until 1:30PM. We got to see all of the things mentioned earlier in the thread in addition to the bow of the ship that has the crew's hot tubs and smoking area, the photo lab, and the crew lounge along with their mess halls. We also got to view the CTC which stands for the Carnival Training Center where computer kiosks and a lecture area is set up for the trainers to train the crew. Each one of these trainers also is certified as a teacher for english as a second language. Each crew member we ran across during the tour was very friendly and accomodating.

Some general things about this tour...we did not bring along any closed toed shoes and brought this up to the shore excursion desk in advanced and they stated that while they were suggested they were not required. They stated that we must be extra careful while going up and down the steps and throughout the crew areas as things could hit your feet. We wore flip flops in the tour and had no problem. The tour does require a lot of steps so, if you are not able to climb steep steps, this tour may not be for you. Also, they confiscate any cameras or phones during the tour. We left ours in the cabin so we had no problems. The tours are limited to 16 people and it was mentioned in the shore excursion talk that our cruise director held on our first sea day. We literally ran to the shore excursion desk to get our tickets to ensure we would get a place on the tour. Yes the $95 dollars is high, but it did take these senior officers away from their tasks to accomodate our questions and to explain what they do each day. The galley tour was very impressive along with walking in all of the refridgerators and freezers where meat, poultry, fish and produce are stored and to see the workings of the vessel.

I hightly recommend this tour. I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has as well.

Thanks!

Hmm, only one, or two tours on the last sea day seems kinda like it would be hard to get in this tour if there are many people who clamor for it.

I wonder if there were much more people who wanted to get in, but couldn't ? And if you were a platinum guest are you assured a ticket to get on the tour ??

Seems the $95 plus all the goodies you get and the behind the seas tour to see things that never get seen by reg guests is worth it. Can't wait to do mines in Nov.

While we don't have our next cruise booked just yet, this is something that my husband & I are going to do....

Just a bit confused, according to John, I thought he said it wasn't going to be promoted and that only passengers who read his blog and cruise websites would be aware of it. I also read that you seriously needed to board the ship and get on line at the excursions desk immediately so you don't get bumped out of the tour.

John further said that unfortunately Platinum Members got no priority in the tour. Literally first come, first served.

Now I can't wait to book my next cruise and get to the excursion desk!!!

Some general things about this tour...we did not bring along any closed toed shoes and brought this up to the shore excursion desk in advanced and they stated that while they were suggested they were not required. They stated that we must be extra careful while going up and down the steps and throughout the crew areas as things could hit your feet. We wore flip flops in the tour and had no problem. The tour does require a lot of steps so, if you are not able to climb steep steps, this tour may not be for you.

Thanks for your help!

The only closed-toes shoes I've found I can wear (due to pain) are my heavy winter boots, which tire me out quicker than usual due to their weight and how I have to walk, so that's why I asked about the shoe thing. I also wondered just how many ppl took closed-toed shoes on a Caribbean cruise! I know that even if I didn't have issues, I'd only have sandals with me.

The lots of steps thing is an issue, though, so between that and the fact I wouldn't be able to do the kitchen part of the tour (my service dog wouldn't be allowed in due to health reasons, of course), I sadly won't be able to do this tour. :( Too bad, since I'd love to see some of the other parts of the ship, like the bridge, and learn more about it and, of course, get the goodies that come with the tour. Oh well.

Just use caution when booking.

Remember what happened to that group of tourists who went on a three hour tour in the Pacific back in the 60's . ;):D:D:D

True, true! :p And then it happened to them again in the TV movie after they'd been rescued - landed on the same darn island! :D

Just got off the Glory on the 5th of September, and they offered this tour, I thought $95 per person was way to high, I would have loved to have done the tour. At amost 100 bucks for getting to walk around the ship is pretty steep.

I would have paid $25.

Room stewards change the sheets on all beds on Wednesday or when stained.

they DO also change the sheets on Sunday right? So, newly arriving pax aren't sleeping on the previous pax same bedsheets...right? Did they say?

Thanks for the detailed review, had I not read it, the $95 price would have immediately turned me away, but now I think we will go for it on the Splendor!

Happy vacations all!

Edeno

they DO also change the sheets on Sunday right? So, newly arriving pax aren't sleeping on the previous pax same bedsheets...right? Did they say?

Thanks for the detailed review, had I not read it, the $95 price would have immediately turned me away, but now I think we will go for it on the Splendor!

Happy vacations all!

Edeno

yes they DO change out the sheets and linenes on disembarkation days!!

When we were leaving I saw a room steward with a gas-mask type contraption on, so they must disinfect with heavy duty cleansers.:eek:

Thanks for your help!

I also wondered just how many ppl took closed-toed shoes on a Caribbean cruise! I know that even if I didn't have issues, I'd only have sandals with me.

My daughter was throwing out her running shoes so I tossed them in my suitcase thinking I would jog....I did ONCE!!

If one wants to do this tour, they shouldn't hope they can get away with sandals. Like all other things on the ship, it will differ from one to the next, but the people conducting our tour were vigilant about making sure we had proper shoes on. You simply weren't going on the tour without closed toe shoes. I would plan on that and maybe try to wear sandals but be prepared to run back to the cabin to change.

Archived