Is is possible to take your own alcohol onboard the ship?

lilybug23

My husband booked our first cruise on the DREAM 7/24/2010 and we dont want to spend a lot of money on alcohol. We have heard of some pretty outrageous bar bills. Its not like we want to take a whole bar with us, just 1 or 2 bottles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to take your own alcohol on the ship? :o

~Amber

Yes Yes and Yes.. put it in your checked luggage..and then just set it out..no one will bother with it.

When we stopped in Nassau, I was wearing cargo shorts and put 2 pints in my pockets. No problem getting on board with those.

Next stop, grabbed a large bottle of vodka, put it in my bag. While boarding the ship, I was told "Be sure to check that bottle". I said "OK", then went straight to the elevator! No problem!

I guess if there was not alot of people coming back on the ship at the time, I may have been forced to check my bottle.

just read in a review that a guy got 3 six packs of beer in port and brought them back on the ship. how can you do this? never even got a small bottle back in without them have me leave ot and give it to me on the last night on the ship.just read this under a review on the legend. is this true or just bs.:cool:

We love to buy a local beer in port and carry it back on the ship to enjoy. We have succesfully done this on our Holland America, Princess, and Disney. It's a great way to try beer from different places. We have never even to hide it and we have never had any questions asked. We plan to try this on our Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival - we will see if it's successful.

My husband booked our first cruise on the DREAM 7/24/2010 and we dont want to spend a lot of money on alcohol. We have heard of some pretty outrageous bar bills. Its not like we want to take a whole bar with us, just 1 or 2 bottles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to take your own alcohol on the ship? :o

~Amber

I met some fellow sailors on the Paradise in Feb. His bar bill for a 3 day cruise was insane! He more than made up for the booze I smuggled aboard. I used rumrunners, I brought aboard (in my checked luggage) vodka, captain, tequila, and bailey's. We had a great time and drank every last drop and then spent a little at the bar too.

Here's the thing. Every morning, order rice pudding with raisons. A LOT of it. Pick the raisons out and toss the rice stuff. Mash the raisons. Get some yeasty bread(or just bring yeast,its not against the rules;)). Mix it up. Set the room thermostat to very high(think Alaska trip) and then sit back and wait. Before long, you'll be able to enjoy your own ship-made raison-jack and you won't need to worry about how to smuggle hootch onto a cruise ship. God knows, no one has EVER tried THAT.

~Amber

The cruislines are practically giving cabins away. They hope you'll come on board and buy alcohol so they can make money. Do you try to sneak bottles in to a nightclub where it's not allowed to bring your own? My guess would be that you wouldn't dream of it. IMHO it's the same thing. Right now, cruising is the deal of the century compared to other types of vacations. But if the lines don't make their money on drinks and other things, the cabin costs are going to go up. I DO realize any of the folks here who walk around with a bottle of booze stuffed down their shorts don't care one iota about that. Just wanted to make sure the OP knows why cruising is such a great deal, and that some of us don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

• 4 weeks later...

We bring the allowed 2 bottles of wine. I did meet a person who'd brought vodka in Listerine bottles. It had an extra minty flavor. I tend o be a rule follower but won't judge anyone else. I just can't drink alot of booze. I feel horrible the next day so it isn't worth it.

Archived