If you don't want an excursion...

carncruiser2010

Most cruise ships dock in Coxen Hole- there are some shops, but not much worth doing right around there. Much better to get a taxi to West Bay Beach or West End. There are lots of things you can do that don't require an excursion, and if you want to get an idea of the beauty and charm of Roatan you need to get away from the dock area!

You might consider a private tour. We are touring with Victor Bodden tours after reading great things on the boards. It is a customized tour of what you want to see and do and we are paying $40 per person. I believe if there are 4 or more in a group it is only $25 per person which is quite a good deal.;)

I have attached a picture (taken in Feb. of this year) of the cruise ship dock in Roatan at Coxen Hole. This will give you some idea of what to expect at Coxen Hole. Carnival is building a new cruise ship dock in Roatan at Dixon's Cove which is east of Coxen hole. The new dock is scheduled to open in Nov. of this year and the Legend is scheduled to be the first ship to use the new dock on Nov. 12th. You will love Roatan and I highly recommend the Victor Bodden tour---it is the best money you will ever spend.

IMG_7070.jpg.da65a540379a8e78e5bb500e9520b967.jpg

Hi, going on Carnival Legend in a few months...none of the excursions appeal to me so I was curious if the boat docks at Roatan or you take a tender in. What is the port where you go in, and can you just disembark and walk around wherever that is?

By mid November, the Carnival ships will be docking up in Mahogany Bay, not Coxen Hole. There will be a new facility there with new shops and restaurants. We'll have to wait to see what's near by. There really isn't a "town" up there. It's about 3 miles from Coxen Hole. Further from the West End/Bay beaches. But closer to some of the dive sites in the Northern part of the island.

If by chance you do dock in Coxen Hole, there is the old Fin and Flippers which is a 5 minute walk from the pier to their ferry dock. Used to be $20pp with reservation, $25pp walk on. Ownership has changed. Prices have gone up. See the Fin and Flippers thread on this board.

By mid November, the Carnival ships will be docking up in Mahogany Bay, not Coxen Hole. There will be a new facility there with new shops and restaurants. We'll have to wait to see what's near by. There really isn't a "town" up there. It's about 3 miles from Coxen Hole. Further from the West End/Bay beaches. But closer to some of the dive sites in the Northern part of the island...

We saw this area where the new dock is going to be. Very impressive and Roatan now has Wendy's too. It just opened last month!!

Appleby's is set to open in the new mall as well. Just a warning about Wendy's- it will not be like what you are used to. I've eaten at the Wendys in the San Pedro Sula airport, not like it is at home! If you miss fast food Bojangles chicken and PizzaInn are good American chains you can find on the island

Archived