Best way to get to Tulum from the Calica Port

westau

I will be coming in to Calica next Thursday and want to go see Tulum but the option through Carnival seem pretty pricey. $70 per person to go see Tulum with a guide, and get a light snack and drink and back to the ship. What would be the best way to get there and see everything that is more cost effective? It seems like it is about $40 each way for a cab which would be a lot cheaper and I have also heard about colectivo's which are really cheap but my girlfriend is worried that they might not be all that safe. Has anyone tried either one of these methods? I have also thought about renting a car but have heard several horror stories of people renting cars and getting in accidents and the Mexican authorities automatically taking the side of the local no matter what and that has worried me about renting a car. So has anyone done any of the above methods and can recommend something?

I will be coming in to Calica next Thursday and want to go see Tulum but the option through Carnival seem pretty pricey. $70 per person to go see Tulum with a guide, and get a light snack and drink and back to the ship. What would be the best way to get there and see everything that is more cost effective? It seems like it is about $40 each way for a cab which would be a lot cheaper and I have also heard about colectivo's which are really cheap but my girlfriend is worried that they might not be all that safe. Has anyone tried either one of these methods? I have also thought about renting a car but have heard several horror stories of people renting cars and getting in accidents and the Mexican authorities automatically taking the side of the local no matter what and that has worried me about renting a car. So has anyone done any of the above methods and can recommend something?

Just a suggestion.

We went with edventure tours on Thursday.

They charged $75 for a tour.

They picked us up at the ship, then took us to their shop right outside the ruins in Tulum.

Tulum is about $6.

After you tour Tulum they can take you several other places like a cenote and Akumal beach or perhaps out to lunch and then back to the boat.

The entry fees and parking at Akumal and the cenote is included in their price.

And they provide water and cokes.

It's still in the same price range as the ship tour, but you can see and do a bit more.

And for me it was nice to get off the boat in Calica and immediately see someone waiting for us.

I'm going to Cozumel on september 23 and Calica september 24 on the Carnival Holiday. My wife and I would like to rent a car and go to Tulum, Coba, and (if there's enough time) Playa Del Carmen for some shopping. We got a great deal on renting a JEEP at Carribean rent-a-car, but they told us they can't pick us up at the Calica Port. They said we can meet them just outside the gate at Calica on the main road, or take a cab to their office in PDC. Does anyone know how far it is to get to the main riad outside the gate? or should we just take a cab to their office?

We have a reservation for a Jeep Wrangler for only $72.00 for the day. That includes all taxes and Full coverage insurance with zero deductible. I would prefer to drive myself. my only problem is that the rental company can't get to the port at Calica. They said they can pick us up at the main road, but it's a long walk. Does anyone know how far it is from the ship to the main road? Or how much a cab to PDC would cost for 2 people? Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Ace / Executive (they use both names) Rental Car has a kiosk on the pier at Calica. I have used them once before and had no difficulty. It is an easy drive to Tulum and takes about 30 minutes to get there. It's a straight shot to the south down the main (4 lane) highway.

http://www.acerentacar.com/landing/lp_pcmp03.aspx

We had no reservation and paid around $40 for a (very) small car with manual transmission. I would now recommend having a reservation, however. If you get on their website and book in advance, I have seen rates as low as $13-15 per day. However, on days when vehicles are scarce, rate for the same vehicle will increase to of $50-60.

Be sure to take your swimwear with you to Tulum. There is a gorgeous beach just down the cliffs from the ruins, and it is accessible to swimmers.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Archived