Credit card question

Our cruise will be going to St. John and Halifax and I'm wondering if I'll have any problem or extra charges when using my Chase Visa card in resturants or stores. I'd rather not use cash as I always end up with a lot of foreign currency that is useless when I leave.

Not sure about extra charges. Don't think so. (Though using the card to get cash might be a different matter). But - you may want to alert your credit card company that you'll be using your card "out of country". I usually call mine and let them know I'll be in Canada/Europe/Mexico, using my card, and the dates I'll be there. That way you don't have to worry about the card being denied if your credit card company is vigilant about unusual charging activities. I know mine is, and has denied charges, even in the U.S., if they are outside my usual pattern. Only takes a quick call, and definitely worth it, IMHO.

Our cruise will be going to St. John and Halifax and I'm wondering if I'll have any problem or extra charges when using my Chase Visa card in resturants or stores. I'd rather not use cash as I always end up with a lot of foreign currency that is useless when I leave.

I used American money in both Saint John and Halifax for our excursions (local transit bus tour in Saint John and admission to Citadel in Halifax) and for lunch/ice cream. I took small bills so I would have exact (or very close to it) amount. I just used the Canadian change (less than $1) as part of the tips I left.

Our cruise will be going to St. John and Halifax and I'm wondering if I'll have any problem or extra charges when using my Chase Visa card in restaurants or stores. I'd rather not use cash as I always end up with a lot of foreign currency that is useless when I leave.

Many American credit card issuers have changed the terms relating to credit card charges incurred outside the United States. Traditionally, charges made in a foreign currency incurred a 1 percent fee related to currency conversion expenses. Many large credit card issuers now impose a 3 percent fee for transactions outside the United States, regardless of the currency in which the charges are made. This is especially troubling where the foreign charge is made in U.S. dollars (or where the credit card holder authorizes the merchant to convert the charges to U.S. dollars, usually for a fee or a poor exchange rate) since the bank pockets the entire fee without having incurred any currency conversion expense!

I believe that Chase is one of the credit card issuers that uses this unfavorable practice. Capital One has not been imposing any fee whatsoever (though I don't know if this is still the case). My primary credit card is issued by USAA which uses the traditional rule.

Many small shops, restaurants and bars will not allow you to make a small charge on a credit card. Most Canadian businesses will not accept a US debitcard as they won't work in their machines.

Be prepared to pay cash for relatively small purchases or walk away without.

Many American credit card issuers have changed the terms relating to credit card charges incurred outside the United States. Traditionally, charges made in a foreign currency incurred a 1 percent fee related to currency conversion expenses. Many large credit card issuers now impose a 3 percent fee for transactions outside the United States, regardless of the currency in which the charges are made. This is especially troubling where the foreign charge is made in U.S. dollars (or where the credit card holder authorizes the merchant to convert the charges to U.S. dollars, usually for a fee or a poor exchange rate) since the bank pockets the entire fee without having incurred any currency conversion expense!

I believe that Chase is one of the credit card issuers that uses this unfavorable practice. Capital One has not been imposing any fee whatsoever (though I don't know if this is still the case). My primary credit card is issued by USAA which uses the traditional rule.

Next week I'll be spending 3 nights in Quebec- would I have the same foreign transaction fees if I used my Chase credit card, or if I used my Chase atm, and paid cash for hotel? (any difference in using one over the other?) Thanks.

• 6 months later...
Many small shops, restaurants and bars will not allow you to make a small charge on a credit card. Most Canadian businesses will not accept a US debitcard as they won't work in their machines.

Check with your bank, some of the larger bank debit cards are now able to be used in some stores. Your bank can tell you if possible and which stores. I live in Canada but use my card to shop in some of the larger stores in the US regularly.

You will have no problem with using your Visa in Canada. While I have had no experience with Chase's Visa I do have a Visa card issued by Bank of America and I will tell that they are very good with their foreign transaction fees...so you may want to ask Chase about theirs.

Next week I'll be spending 3 nights in Quebec- would I have the same foreign transaction fees if I used my Chase credit card, or if I used my Chase atm, and paid cash for hotel? (any difference in using one over the other?) Thanks.

There are fees associated with both methods on most every credit card or atm. Chase definitely has fees.

Two items. Before you go you should call Chase to give them your travel dates and note your travel itinerary. That way they won't think these transactions are fraud.

When you contact them ask about their fees. They will go over each one with you for both debit and credit card.

For very small purchases most places in Canada (again I am talking about small items) will take USA currency.

For future reference I find that a capital one credit card is great for credit card transactions out of the USA as they do not tack on those extra fees. Just something to think about for the future.

Keith

As far as I know, Chase charges a $3 transaction fee for the usage of ATMs in any foreign country, Canada included. ATM choices will be determined by if your card is coded as MasterCard/Cirrus or Visa/Plus. Chase also charges a 3% foreign currency conversion fee. BofA charges just 1% if your use a machine in their exchange program (Scotia in Canada) plus $5 if you don't use an exchange partner. USAA charges just 1% no matter what machine you use. HSBC Premier MasterCard has no fee, both other HSBC cards do.

Cards with the NYCE symbol can use our direct debit system, called Interac, virtually accepted everywhere in Canada.

For Visa/MasterCard there is an interchange fee, usually around 1% plus your credit card company will charge an extra fee. The only cards that don't (as far as I know) are Capitol One and USAA. Chase charges an extra 2%, so 3% in total, plus the foreign exchange rate for buying CAD. If a transaction is reversed you will still end up paying the 3% in the other direction plus the foreign exchange rate for selling CAD... so if something goes wrong, ask the merchant to void the transaction instead of issue a credit.

You will have no problem with using your Visa in Canada. While I have had no experience with Chase's Visa I do have a Visa card issued by Bank of America and I will tell that they are very good with their foreign transaction fees...so you may want to ask Chase about theirs.

Bank of America/Visa imposes a 3% foreign transaction fee. I don't know that I would classify that as "very good", but it is standard.

I would recommend calling your credit card provider and asking them if they charge fees - that way you are getting your information directly from the source.

Most shops and restaurants should accept your visa. Some shops may not accept it for small purchases. Likewise, ice cream vendors and the like may not accept it either.

Another option is to stop at an ATM and take out some Cdn currency. Again, check with your bank concerning any fees they may charge. While most places will accept US dollars, the exchange rate given isn't always the best.

FYI - it is Saint John you are visitng, not St. John. I know quite a few people who live there and one of their biggest pet peeves is people who misspell their city (or worst...refer to it as St. John's which is in Newfoundland) :eek:

A lot of places will let you use a credit card for a small purchase (believe me, I've seen my kids' credit card bills for $2 coffees at the end of the semester when they are out of money!) but might tack on a fee to discourage it.

Viv

Archived