Wedding vow renewals

rool

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves last night we booked an April 2011 cruise on Jewel to the Caribbean/Panama.

That year also happens to coincide with our 25th WA. It's actually in June but our eldest sons exams are in that month so we chose to go during the Easter break instead.

I am toying with the idea of renewing the wedding vows and getting replacement rings as the ones we bought in 1986 were only what we could afford at the time and were very thin and have bent and buckled over the years.

This may be more a question for the ladies but is this a thing that you would like to be dropped on you as a surprise or would you rather be prepared for it? I thought seeing as we were on a cruise we would have nice clothes anyway.

What I mean is, will I get some 'action' out of it afterwards. Only joking, well....hmmm

Thanks

Another question along this line. My wife and I are going on a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas in March of 2010. It is our very delayed honeymoon (got married 7/08). My wife thought of renewing our vows while on the cruise. Does anyone know if there is a charge for this and if there is, how much is it? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I just finished arranging for vow renewals for GOS in Oct. ^_^

It's a surprize for my DH.

There are 595.00US (495.00US right now for a special they are running).

That is the price for 'on ship'. I think it's 100.00 more if you want it shoreside.

It can not be done on the 1st day or on formals.

They email you all the info, you fill it out and fax it back.

When you get onboard, the ships personal will contact you for time/date.

Phone # is 888-933-7225 M-F 9am-7pm (EST)

Let me know if there is anything else?

This may be more a question for the ladies but is this a thing that you would like to be dropped on you as a surprise or would you rather be prepared for it? I thought seeing as we were on a cruise we would have nice clothes anyway.

What I mean is, will I get some 'action' out of it afterwards. Only joking, well....hmmm

Thanks

Not sure what happened to my last post......cyberspace special I guess!

But, what I said was that I'd definitely want some notice. Nice clothes or not there's a difference in regular formal wear vs wedding vow renewal wear. Just as she wanted to be in on the plans for your wedding, I'm certain she'd also like to be in the plans (and excitement) of the renewal.

I had thought of doing a surprise renewal ceremony for our 25th and when I couldn't keep that a surprise and asked hubby about it, to my amazement he said he didn't want to do it! I was really hurt at first thinking he didn't want to remarry me.....:confused: But he explained to me that it wasn't that he didn't want to, it's that the first time was so special to him and that it's been his experience that repeats of special aren't as special to him as the first time and he wanted to preserve the memories of the first time. I thought at first this was rather lame and just an excuse, but as I thought about it (and him) I realized he was telling me the truth and he wasn't trying to hurt or take away anything -- he just truly was content to have married me and then celebrate the anniversary but not as a renewal. Anyway, I was glad that I had discussed it with him. Can you imagine the upset and hurt if I had of planned everything and then found out he didn't want it? He would have done it again I am sure -- but I would have wanted him to want it as much as he did the first time.

So ending my saga, I'd say tell her and let her share the excitement now and then the two of you can go and pick out new rings together just like the first time. Happy Anniversary!!

Not sure what happened to my last post......cyberspace special I guess!

But, what I said was that I'd definitely want some notice. Nice clothes or not there's a difference in regular formal wear vs wedding vow renewal wear. Just as she wanted to be in on the plans for your wedding, I'm certain she'd also like to be in the plans (and excitement) of the renewal.

I had thought of doing a surprise renewal ceremony for our 25th and when I couldn't keep that a surprise and asked hubby about it, to my amazement he said he didn't want to do it! I was really hurt at first thinking he didn't want to remarry me.....:confused: But he explained to me that it wasn't that he didn't want to, it's that the first time was so special to him and that it's been his experience that repeats of special aren't as special to him as the first time and he wanted to preserve the memories of the first time. I thought at first this was rather lame and just an excuse, but as I thought about it (and him) I realized he was telling me the truth and he wasn't trying to hurt or take away anything -- he just truly was content to have married me and then celebrate the anniversary but not as a renewal. Anyway, I was glad that I had discussed it with him. Can you imagine the upset and hurt if I had of planned everything and then found out he didn't want it? He would have done it again I am sure -- but I would have wanted him to want it as much as he did the first time.

So ending my saga, I'd say tell her and let her share the excitement now and then the two of you can go and pick out new rings together just like the first time. Happy Anniversary!!

That is a thought, too.

I would have to say it depends on if you and your loved one like surprizes.

My DH and I really love to do this sort of thing for each other (this will be our 5th vow renewal).

You know your loved one. Is this the type of thing that they would like? Do they like or dis-like surpizes?

I do know that RCI does to this as a suprize (there is a form that you fill out with different contact info if it is a surpize), though.

I had a vow renewal on a cruise off the coast of Italy and kept it as a surprize from my wife. The cruise line assigns a coordinator and she really did all the heavy lifting. I schedualed a couples massage before the ceremony and that had both of us almost too relaxed. But the planning was that the coordinator used the guise that the captain requested us to attend a private cocktail party.

An invatation was delivered to our room and requested formal wear. We were running late and the last minute my wife said she may skip. AUGHHHHH! had to come up with a plan and said that that would be an insult to the captain. She gave in a arrived to the affair and the Captain performed the ceremony.

It was great!

My wife was truely surprized. First she fained she was upset but she was really impressed with the whole affair. I also purchased a new ring for the ceremony and everytime she puts it on she remembers the time off Italy.

I would say to surprize her and definatly involve the kids. Celebrate the great milestones in life. Mine was our 20th anniversary but more importantly 4 years post cancer remission. Wishing you and yours the best and congrats on your 25th.:D

Hi, Many thanks for the great advice, two trains of thought there. I'd hate to get the wrong ring size :D and I can also see my wife trying to skip the captains table thing too, thats a funny story and I can imagine the panic. I can also see the benefit of making the plans and shopping for the rings together too (although it'll probably cost me more). On the other hand I do like springing surprises.

Nice idea about involving the boys too. They are 15 and 14 at the moment and think any emotion shown between us is gross but hopefully they'll have matured a bit by then.

I like the sound of shoreside especially on one of the Islands we'll be visiting.

Luckily I have 20 months to sound it out and see which route to go down.

Thank you all for your kind words and very best wishes for future happiness to rcrdale and his wife.

Because our attempts to arrange a private renewal went awry (some Kind of miscommunication with staff), DH and I renewed our vows aboard ship at a group renewal. We dressed up, he got me a corsage and he wore a boutonniere. We did exchange rings, which we planned to do. What I didn't know that he had arranged with the priest who was officating to bless our rings. Our friends were there and our tablemates. The "congregation" clapped and cheered. It was wonderful.

Archived