Personal belongings on beach

ACD5

Two of us are booking a snorkeling tour independent of Carnival. Do we need to take our passports with us when we leave the ship? We haven't figured out what to do with $$ and ID needed while in port - unless we take turns sitting with our 'stuff'. Anyone purchased a waterproof wallet that would allow us to take it with us while we snorkel? If so, please provide where to purchase! Thanks CC members.

I have the DryPak Alligator wallet. It worked perfectly. It's too small for a passport but here is a link for a larger one-

http://www.rei.com/product/752257

The alligator wallet is under related products. I had $ and CCs in it and hitched it to my tankini.

There is a huge Cabella's in Fort Worth, they would have other dry bags.

On a snorkel tour you can leave your stuff on the boat. I snorkeled with mine on tour because I hitched my water camera to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased an item called a "Splash Caddy" on-line from Maggelian (sp?). It is a small pouch that straps around your waist. The bag is made of materials that drains and dries quickly. Inside the pouch they provide a water tight, and I mean water tight, zip-lock bag (it's not the grocery store type, this one is double zip-lock). I used it a number of times last year on a South Pacific cruise and it was perfect. I simply put some money in the plastic bag along with my ship ID card, and a credit card. I have a small waterproof camera with a floatation wrist strap attached that I take with me in the water. In this way, as a solo traveler, I leave nothing on the beach except a towel and empty backpack. The "Splash Caddy" is small enough that it does not impact snorkeling or swimming, but insures that everything will remain dry and safe.

I have the DryPak Alligator wallet...

I've had three styles of underwater wallets over the years - the Alligator worked the best of them all. Still, I wouldn't risk it for my passport - and a zip lock bag won't help much for use while swimming or snorkeling, and not at all if you dive down even a few feet under water. The only thing I use zip lock bags for is to carry my camera or money in my wet swimsuit pocket AFTER I'm done swimming or snorkeling.

I'd leave the passports on the ship. In around 8 Caribbean cruises we've never needed one. I guess if something happened and you missed the ship you might, but I've not been worried about that. I do have a photo copy of ours that I keep in our beach bag - although I doubt that would go too far.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always left my originalk passport on the ship. I copy the first page and take that with me. I have a dry bag I leave on the dive boat. I have never had a theft-there's aleways a cre3w member on board. I also have never had a problem on a beach. I don't know if I have been lucky or if crime is low in vacation spots as to not scare tourists away.

I used it a number of times last year on a South Pacific cruise and it was perfect. I simply put some money in the plastic bag along with my ship ID card, and a credit card. I have a small waterproof camera with a floatation wrist strap attached that I take with me in the water.

Regards

Olympus

____

dossier surendettement

My husband's swimsuit has pockets (snap, button or zip closure), either on the legs or small inside ones. We've always just used that to put cash and CC. I could be wrong, but I think most men's trunks are made this way.

If the passport stays on the ship, why is one of these dry bags necessary? True, the stuff doesn't stay dry, but we haven't had an issue with that. It certainly dries out quickly enough.

Just wondering what I'm not thinking of that you all have that makes one of these necessary.

Thanks.

My husband's swimsuit has pockets (snap, button or zip closure), either on the legs or small inside ones. We've always just used that to put cash and CC. I could be wrong, but I think most men's trunks are made this way.

If the passport stays on the ship, why is one of these dry bags necessary? True, the stuff doesn't stay dry, but we haven't had an issue with that. It certainly dries out quickly enough.

Just wondering what I'm not thinking of that you all have that makes one of these necessary.

Thanks.

I just like to keep my money and cards dry, or reasonably dry, so I'm not trying to seperate paper money that is soaking wet and dripping to pay for drinks, taxi's and other items. While I've never had anyone on the islands refuse to take wet money, I'm sure they appreciate dry money.

Archived