More Murano questions

janoma

My DH is a glass fancier (he collects antique marbles). We know a glass blower and so have seen the process before. If we have no intention of actually purchasing any (expensive) glass items, is there enough to see in Murano to justify the time out of our piddling 25 hrs in Venice (I may not sleep that day!)? He would really like to go and I don't mind doing so, but wondered whether we would see enough to justify (and I've read several horror stories). I know there's been much discussion on this topic but I haven't found anything addressing this exactly. Thanks.

Getting to Murano is quite easy and fast, so you certainly may want to take the vaporetto over to the island and spend a couple of hours browsing the many glass shops and perhaps a factory. You will also have the opportunity to go to Murano for free (Vaporettos cost 6.5 Euros or you can buy a 24 hour pass) but those free boat rides are offered by so-called glass factories which than will take more of your time than you might prefer. We usually buy a multi-day vaporetto pass (we are generally in Venice for several days at a time) so it essentially costs us nothing to take the vaporetto and than we have control of your own time.

Hank

You may also want to consider a short stop in Murano and then go on to Burano which is where the lace is made (There and in China!) The houses are all painted in different strong colors and it is nice to see.

I would avoid the glass tours and take the public boat, even at a cost. I believe the boat goes to Murano and then on to Burano.

By the way we were told that some of the glass sold on Murano is actually made elsewhere. No proof but we were told that by several people.

Thank you both...I expect to buy the pass so it essentially won't cost me anything, so just wanted to make sure there was enough to see...doubt I can get it him to Burano though...we're trying to get the Guggenheim in the same afternoon....TOO MUCH TO SEE...TOO LITTLE TIME!

We went to Murano, walked around and had lunch. We thought it was okay but scenery-wise not that different than the main part of Venice other than some interesting glass sculptures at several locations. What we really liked, though, was Burano which we went to afterward. It had a whole different feel -- very beautiful and charming with each house painted a different color. It was very scenic and peaceful to walk around.

Murano has a retail store in Venice. As you are looking at St.Mark's Basilica-go to the 1st street on the left.-Walk all the way up that street (4/5 blocks-souvenir shops & pizza restaurants) to a bridge over a small canal & the Murano store is right there.

Jack

Murano has a retail store in Venice. As you are looking at St.Mark's Basilica-go to the 1st street on the left.-Walk all the way up that street (4/5 blocks-souvenir shops & pizza restaurants) to a bridge over a small canal & the Murano store is right there.

Jack

Beware! There are many shops in Venice that call themselves "Murano" stores or say they sell "Murano Glass" but the reality is lot of their stuff comes from Eastern Europe or China. To call ones self "Murano store" would be like having a shop in Ft Lauderdale and calling yourself "Miami store." You have to love entreprenaurs :) Remember, Murano is simply a place (an island) and on that island are numerous merchants ranging from world-class glass factories/stores to faux shops that sell everything that is not from Murano (or even Italy). Shoppers need to be very cautious and a bit skeptical. The real local glass blowers and factories on Murano have banded together and formed a consortium. They have a web site http://www.promovetro.com/portal/ which is pretty informative if you can read Italian (we have not found an English site). Last December we spoke to a Murano glass blower (and store owner) who told us that the Murano glass factories were doing everything possible to keep the fakes off the market, but they have not had much success. Most of them have started putting special holographic labels on real Murano glass products, but we have heard that even these labels are now being counterfeited.

Hank

Archived