Help

Lauraall

A group of us are booked on a cruise on Sept. 26 for a 5 day cruise. We booked over the phone with carnival with an early saver rate. After our initial payment one of our group became critically ill. At the time of final payment it was unlikely she could join us but we paid anyway figuring it was no big loss and we could always change the name for $50. Fast forward a month. Our mother in law is still very ill, in the hospital in critical condition. In the ICU. I call carnival to do a name change as I know she cannot go. They are telling me we can't change names and that if she doesn't go (which isn't possible)she will loose her money (which I knew would happen and can accept) and have to pay them $169.50 penalty! I am sick. I booked the cruise. I was NOT informed of these restrictions especially the penalty. Has any one had experience with this or can help me? It seems to me they can't charge us something we were not told about over the phone or in writing! I am so sad over my mother in law and her situation. Not having her come is killing us all. To have them treat us this way, if just unbearable. Please help.

You are the second thread today saying whomever booked you never informed you of the no name change

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054668

I think they really need to go thru all the terms if they are going to book this fare as folks dont read them themselves.

The last post on the thread another poster booked early saver in addition to the OP on that thread, losing money too.

I agree Carnival needs to let people know the terms are no name changes and not expect folks to read the terms themselves. Im sorry you are having issues too. ... and probably didnt get insurance (as someone pointed out it defeats the purpose of saving the extra money).

Im really sorry to hear you also are having these issues ... someone on the other thread suggested paying the $50 to change to another cruise .... another fare and then you can do the name change under another fare ... another date?

Please advise. I can handle the no name change, the loosing of her entire fare (as we should have purchased insurance) but carnival says they will charge us $169.50 on top of her fully paid fare if she doesn't go. How can they do that????

That makes no sense, there has to be something I dont know to advise you....you cant lose more than the fare ... like maybe there are more people in the cabin?? ... is she cancelling to collect the insurance, but the other person owes more then because there is only one left in the cabin? .... without knowing more facts, I cant even know.

You have already made final payment so just leave her name on the cruise but have her not show up. Do you have 3 in one room? My guess is she's the 2nd guest and guests 1&2 are more expensive. If she cancels as guest 2, the person who was guest 3 becomes guest 2 and now needs to pay the full fare.

To clarify because I really do need help.

They are saying that because Janet cannot go the other passengers rate goes up to single occupancy (because she is going). Then if janet takes not refund that leaves a penalty of $169.50 for the other passenger to pay. It's just sick. I am so upset over her illness, the possibility of loosing her, and then a cruise ship pulls this. I mean its one thing to loose her far, even not allow a name change, but saying we have to pay its just cruel! Any suggestions?

They are telling me over the phone if she does not show up it will be the cost of $169.50. Are you telling me if don't inform them they won't charge it? I am not sure I understand, they have been so rude that they will charge this fee if she doesn't come. Obviously they know when she doesn't arrive. I am just wondering if you have some experience that they won't charge.

There were originally two in the room. We have someone who would take her spot but they are not allowing that.

That is what it is then .. if she cancels, then the person left has to pay the solo surcharge, which is usually 200% of the fare ... the person if they have insurance needs to cancel of course... but then the other person has to pay both fares, as all but the 1A fares are based on double occupancy.

Here are the early saver terms.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/specials.aspx?WT.mc_id=HEarlySaverSpecials

Early Saver: Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply. Request Early Saver. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas & Panama.

or here

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/specials/pay-per-day.aspx?icid=CC_HMPG_296

*Early Saver: Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply. Request Early Saver. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas & Panama.

Basically if you cancel out the 2nd pax in the cabin .... the the pax left in that cabin will have to pay the extra .... thats not a penalty, thats because someone is sailing solo. The only way around it is for your MIL to just be a no show ... then there will be no extra money charged.

Thank you ever sooo much! Who knew I would end up being happy to just loose the fare. Terrible. I have learned a lesson on early saver. Do you think if I call in and talk to a supervisor I could get a name change or other option or will it flag our booking # to charge us if she simply "no show". I was planning on calling customer resolution and explaining that the restrictions were NOT shared with me and begging the name change but if its a risk I'll just do the no show and be happy with no more money.

Did you click on the thread I posted in the 2nd post above ... that lady faxed in medical information on her husband who was told he has 2 months to live from lung cancer, I think leaving a 5 year old in the cabin ... and carnival wouldnt let them do a name change so someone is with the 5 year old apparantly..... read that thread I posted.

she faxed in the information.

You can call resolutions tomorrow as I advised her to do ... see if they will bend ...they could over ride the rules ... you just need to find someone who will.

Please advise. I can handle the no name change, the loosing of her entire fare (as we should have purchased insurance) but carnival says they will charge us $169.50 on top of her fully paid fare if she doesn't go. How can they do that????

Cancel the cabin it will cost the cancellation fee and the rest of the deposit can be used for another cruise within one year. The single can rebook last minute...if he/she still wants to go?

Cancel the cabin it will cost the cancellation fee and the rest of the deposit can be used for another cruise within one year. The single can rebook last minute...if he/she still wants to go?

They are past final payment apparantly .... so they dont get their deposit back. OP said that in the first post, they went ahead and made final payment.

What you suggested only works if they were before final payment.

Guest bahamamama1

I have no sympathy for financial situations but Carnival being so heartless when it comes to health and dying situations is bull-crap. It's not like people ASKED to be sick !! Grrrrrrr.... :mad:

I think they should be a little more caring and show some sympathy instaead of making a bad situation worse.

Archived