Non booked tour at pier?

LuvCruiser70

Hello

I am interested in a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel and a brief tour of the Mayan ruin. Can I book a tour at the spur of the moment at the pier? Please advise. Thanks

I'm a noob, however I've done a ton of research. Since you mention "pier" it's assumed you will be cruise and have very limited time. When people say "Mayan ruins" they're usually refer to the to the TULUM which is not on the island of Cozumel, rather on the mainland. There is a excursion for, but it will take all day as you ride take a shuttle from port to the ferry, take the ferry to the mainland and take a 90min bus from the ferry port to the ruins. I was thinking about doing this, but passed because as of 2006, you can no longer climb the "flagship" ruin. If you are still interested, I highly recommend booking through the ship as if you run late due to major weather or rough seas, the ship will wait for you. If you book on your own, you're on your own for lodging and airfare to get out of there. Also, I can't possibly see how you can add a second snorkeling excursion. I do know there is a beach at the ruins, no idea if they rent equipment, perhaps you could bring your own in a backpack. I don't know if there's anything to see.

There are ruins (very small in comparison to the Tulum) on Cozumel. I wonder if you one could simply take a taxi there, snap some pictures and move on to something?

Hello

I am interested in a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel and a brief tour of the Mayan ruin. Can I book a tour at the spur of the moment at the pier? Please advise. Thanks

Like the other post has mentioned it will take up alot of time doing both so I am going to suggest that you try Chakanaab Park. They have very good snorkeling and have minature replicas of the ruins there. I know that is not the real thing but you can get an idea of what it is like. It is a very nice place to visit, hardly ever crowded and the food and service is really good. It costs $16.00 to get in. They do rent gear or you can bring your own. Check out their website for more info.

Thanks for the information. I have decided to skip the Maya Ruin excursion this time and do a snorkeling excursion instead. I have read that Palancar and Columbia reefs offer the best snorkeling. I am frugal and I try to avoid cruise ship excursions because I think that they are overpriced. Any recommendations for tours that go to that area?

Thanks for the information. I have decided to skip the Maya Ruin excursion this time and do a snorkeling excursion instead. I have read that Palancar and Columbia reefs offer the best snorkeling. I am frugal and I try to avoid cruise ship excursions because I think that they are overpriced. Any recommendations for tours that go to that area?

ADD - According to Trip Advisor posters, the Chankanaab Park was damaged from a Hurricane Wilma. Has it recovered?

There has been damage to the reefs but all is not bad. We went to Chakanaab last Oct. and it was very nice. Just came back from Playa Palancar and DH took boat tour to Palancar Reef and saw quiet a bit of fish. We have also been to Playa Uvas in Feb. and DH said he enjoyed that snorkel tour best out of the others. They have a website to check out. They are great there. You do have to pre book but do not have to put a deposit down. It is worth checking into. We may go back there in Nov.

Archived