anyone ever book through myfriendmario.com

spotter27

I found a tour in Colon panama EMBERA INDIAN VILLAGE and PANAMA CANAL . Anyone ever hear of it or ever go on it? thanks

Friends of ours from Cruise Critic went with Mario when we were in Panama a few years ago. They said they had a great time. We did the Two Oceans By Railroad excursion through Carnival, but will likely use Mario when we do Panama next.

I just got off of a cruise that included Panama and went on that excursion. I loved it! It was a long excursion and it still was so short, I would have spent days there. It was very interesting and definitely bring lots of cash to buy their hand made goods.

• 4 months later...

My family and I used My Friend Mario in Dec, we went to the Embera Indian Village, the water fall, and the canal. It was our favorite tour. Our guide was Ivan and he timed our tour so that we could watch a Celebrity ship go through the canal locks.

I was not sure if I should book with them or not and I didn't decide until I was on my ship. I used the internet on the ship to access my email and responded with a confirmation,the day before we docked in Panama. I had no time to check my email (before disembarking at the port) to see if they had responded. Yet, when we came off the ship there was our guide with a sign , waiting for us.

Worth every penny!:)

We used Mario...and were not happy with him or his guide. He customized a private tour to what we were interested in (we paid more)...Then, while on the tour, he wanted to change the price half way through....Not very professional...

He furnishes drinks...even asked what we would like to have...confirmed that he would have them....then did not have what we requested. We only requested regular coke, diet coke, beer and water...nothing special...go figure.

If you do one of his package tours, no changes, you will probably be fine. Lots of people have used him. At least you will feel fairly safe with one of his guides.

We really enjoyed our time at the Gatun Locks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Panama has no paper currency of it's own, it uses the US dollar. The only thing you may notice is prices may be quoted in Balboas, which is the dollar. Coins are the same size and denominations as US coinage and in Panama you can get US coins interchangeably. If you happen to bring some home with you, store clerks will give you a real strange look if you happen to accidentally try to pass one of these coins:D!

As far as the other ports, I never had any problem using dollars either, you just may have to have smaller denominations to ease in making change.

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday, 1/27/10, we tendered in and met with Almiza Tours just outside the tender area. There was a nice A/C van waiting with a driver. We told our guide, Elio, that we would prefer to cross the Miraflores Locks part of our excursion off our tour and add more of the Panama City area. He was very accommodating. We went to the French Embassy area and walked around. We visited the park, went on the shorefront for views. We then climbed a hill outside of town, which had a guard at the entrance to a small park at the top. The view here was fantastic. Both Panama City and the Panama Canal. We then went by some of the buildings that were destroyed in the Noriega war with the USA. We drove through the old town and walked visiting the Cathedral and old town area. Then we drove through the high rise downtown area. Next we went out to Old Panama City and viewed the ruins. We went to the museum—Museo del Canal Interoceanico de Panama, but chose not to go in. We then drove to and crossed the Bridge of the Americas. We stopped at the China Memorial on the bridge for photos and souvenirs. We then returned to the ship. Elio was wonderful, spoke excellent English and showed us everything we wished to see. We arranged it through Almiza Tours aka My Friend Mario tours at www.myfriendmario.com. Booking was easy and he communicated quickly and clearly. Prices were as stated in booking. No deposit was required.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Almiza Tours,

On Sunday, March 7, I took part in your tour CL-007 and was injured during the hiking portion of the tour. Due to mishandling on the part of the tour operators, I am requesting that you reimburse me for associated expenses.

Your website states "Note: In our journey to the waterfall, we have to do some hiking over some roughish terrain (not what it can't be done) which will take more or less 20 minutes (according to each persons possibilities) all though we have had people from 2 to 80 years old that have done it. We state this because if you feel that somebody in your family or group would not be able to do this please advise."

I am a 47 year old woman who hikes regularly as a hobby. There was a young man positioned to help us with our footing on this portion of the trail, showing that the tour leader knew it was dangerous. He was repositioned immediately after I fell. The tour leader had no knowledge of first aid and I had to request that the arm be splinted. The fall happened at around 10 a.m. I was required to walk back to the boat landing, although I was near to vomiting and/or fainting from the pain. At the landing area, I was told that a "medicine man" wanted to look at it. At no time was I offered any first aid other than this medicine man. The tour leader kept assuring me that it was just a sprain. I was made to continue the entire tour with a broken arm until our arrival back at the Miracle at approximately 3:30 p.m. In addition, I was made to pay the full price of the tour. Upon arriving at the ship, I went immediately to the infirmary, where X-rays confirmed a broken arm.

I am requesting reimbursement for the tour ($80) and all associated medical expenses. I will forward them to you as they become available and request prompt reimbursement. I am sure you wish to retain your reputation as an excellent tour provider, so I will offer the following advice.

1) make sure tour leaders know basic first aid

2) if someone is severely injured as I was, they should immediately be taken for medical assistance (not a "medicine man."), not made to continue the tour.

3) someone who is harmed on your tour should not be made to pay fot the tour!

I look forward to quick and satisfactory resolution.

I was on the same tour as the lady that broke her arm and it was unfortunate but she wasn't wearing approved shoes. Make sure you wear water shoes or something for hiking. The walk was over several rocks and some boulders that you need good footing. I would recommend mario our experience was terrific.

I was on the same tour as the lady that broke her arm and it was unfortunate but she wasn't wearing approved shoes. Make sure you wear water shoes or something for hiking. The walk was over several rocks and some boulders that you need good footing. I would recommend mario our experience was terrific.

All the website said was "water shoes." Whether or not the shoes were "approved" (by who?) there's no excuse for making me wait from 9:30 until 3:30 for medical help.

We used them in Nov 2008 and had Lori as our guide. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and worth the money. I would advise to make sure you wear actual tight fighting water shoes with real soles as the waterfall hike is over slippery rocks with a decent current moving through. Granted, we were there after storms and the guides did say the water was higher then normal - which made the hike a bit longer. (You would think you would be able to canoe farther in - but instead we had to walk on rocks covered with water where as normally some of the walk is over rocks that you can actually see. Here are examples of what I would say are decent shoes for this. Mine unfortunately were not and I too fell. Luckily, I just bruised my bottom, but I didn't hold them responsible as I didn't have the right shoes. My kids all had shoes like the NIke listed and did great.

Shoes:

teva-t13-0149t.jpg&size=17&dhm=ff7e2b99&hl=en

20177753334b9b7b31410ea.jpg&size=17&dhm=3484c060&hl=en

fruitbat -- it's very unfortunate you broke your arm during the tour. I've done this tour (waterfall, Indian Village) before and the area is rugged, secluded and away from the city. This is what gives it a national geographic feeling to the tour and probably why the only person available to look at your injuries was a "medicine man". I love nature and truly enjoyed seeing the native indians and experiencing their customs and wisdom, too bad you thought their "medicine man" wasn't worthy enough when they offered you his help. We, americans, are so spoiled expecting the best healthcare everywhere we go for our injuries that we don't realize in other countries falling, bruising, and even broken bones are not considered life threating conditions but minor injuries. They don't rush you to the hospital (which by the way, the closest it's about 2hrs away) unless you're bleeding or having a heart attack. Panamanians are not litigious like us either, demanding and expecting compensation for medical expenses caused by accidents are very unlikely because they have universal healthcare to cover those costs and most small businesses don't carry accidental insurance.

I feel for you but sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad, this was after all an "accident", why does have to be somebody's fault? You experienced pain and suffering but had you gone to the hospital and had to wait to be seen by a real doctor could have resulted in you missing the ship which it's a lot worse. If I were you, I'd stick to the cruise tours from now on...they can threat and handle accidents the american way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
fruitbat -- it's very unfortunate you broke your arm during the tour. I've done this tour (waterfall, Indian Village) before and the area is rugged, secluded and away from the city. This is what gives it a national geographic feeling to the tour and probably why the only person available to look at your injuries was a "medicine man". I love nature and truly enjoyed seeing the native indians and experiencing their customs and wisdom, too bad you thought their "medicine man" wasn't worthy enough when they offered you his help. We, americans, are so spoiled expecting the best healthcare everywhere we go for our injuries that we don't realize in other countries falling, bruising, and even broken bones are not considered life threating conditions but minor injuries. They don't rush you to the hospital (which by the way, the closest it's about 2hrs away) unless you're bleeding or having a heart attack. Panamanians are not litigious like us either, demanding and expecting compensation for medical expenses caused by accidents are very unlikely because they have universal healthcare to cover those costs and most small businesses don't carry accidental insurance.

I feel for you but sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad, this was after all an "accident", why does have to be somebody's fault? You experienced pain and suffering but had you gone to the hospital and had to wait to be seen by a real doctor could have resulted in you missing the ship which it's a lot worse. If I were you, I'd stick to the cruise tours from now on...they can threat and handle accidents the american way.

You said this perfectly.

lmtrn2001--I took this trip a year and a half ago and we did not go to the water fall but got back in plenty of time. We had an amazing trip and was probably the best excursion I've been on.

That said I knew we would get "a little wet" but we got a little more than we expected. I wasn't complaining since it's nature but on the boat ride there we didn't have a drop of water in the boat. On the way back they were going so fast they had to use buckets to bail water. My husband and I were in the back and we actually got the most wet, we were soaked head to toe and my ankles were under water. I purposely brought tennis shoes that I didn't mind throwing away for that reason and thankful I had! Everybody might not have the same experience but I know I would have been nice to been prepared with that situation, would have worn different clothing.

Archived