Halifax Maritime Mueum Worth the Time?

We have been to the Titanic Exhibit in Las Vegas, and were just wondering if it would still be worth while to visit the Maritime Museum in Halifax.

We really enjoy Titanic stuff, but I have read that there really isn"t that much in the Maritime Museum.

What do you say?

The Titanic exhibit has a great deal, but the Museum itself has a great deal if you are interested in Maritime history and culture. The location is ideal and the buildings are very interesting in themselves.

The Immigration Museum right at Pier 21 is wonderful. So much so I visited it twice during one week in Halifax. If anyone in your family came in through Halifax, you can look up the records. It happens that one of my elders went to war from that exact spot so it was a teary experience for me to be in that building. Teary but very good as I'd heard so many stories about it all.

We were there and enjoyed the MM very much. When you are done, grab a cab and go to the cemetary where some of the victims are buried. A lot of children. There is one larger headstone dedicated to the kids who was "unknown" but they have since identified him/her thru DNA.

We have visited twice. Aside from the Titanic exhibit, there are exhibits about the Halifax Explosion of 1917, shipwrecks in the Canadian Maritimes, lighthouses, sailing, Halifax during the wars, and general shipping. Lots of ship models. There is also the 1913 hydrographic surveying ship, CSS Acadia, which can be toured as part of the museum admission. The last time we visited, we spent the entire morning in the museum. Of course, we're ship buffs, so the museum was right up our alley.:)

The Maritime Museum is worth the visit. The Titanic stuff is OK, but the focus is on other subjects. Of significance is the exhibit on the 1917 explosion in Halifax harbor, when a munitions ship collided with another ship. The resulting fire pretty much wiped out the city.

The Pier 21 Museum is outstanding. We pretty much spent an entire day there, without realizing that we had been there that long!

Archived