Towel Animals - such a waste!!!

Cruiser9-20-08

Towel animals are so cute but I don't unfold them and use them.

So, I imagine, most towel animals end up back in the laundry using soap, water and man power just so we can be amused when we return to our cabins.

I request that our cabin steward, please, not give us towel animals.

Am I being an old fogie or do you think it's an ecological good idea?

I know some cruisers tip extra to their cabin attendant for their extra effort but just give a reasonable tip instead!!!

Rick

So you are on a cruise. Over paying for everything. Do you realize how much food is prepared but never eaten? Do you realize how much fuel is consumed by the ship? And you are worried about the cleaning of a few extra towels????

we like them a lot. My girl friend will not let me unfold them. she keeps them them on the back of the couch. By the time the cruise is over we have a zoo of towels in our room:D

Although if i was to unfold them i would not use the towel to dry off or somthing. it would end of on the floor in the bathroom to suck up water

We had the monkey holding the remote too, with my sunglasses, I had left in the room.It was amusing, but I would prefer to have ANDES chocolates on the pillow. I guess they fell, because of cost-cutting? Let's see, 2 Andes times 700 rooms times 7 nights , HYMM. LOL JY.

I love the Towel Animals. We are taking my 14 year old son on his first cruise at the end of October and can't wait fro him to see them.

On my last crusie with my mom and sister we got a towel monnkey and I ran out to our steward who was in the hall and told him I loved his monkey!! I did not even realize what I said until I saw that my mom and sister were cracking up.

just back from a cruise, and i was dissappointed that there was no towel animal the first night. then i remembered i had not put the "MAKE UP ROOM" card in the key slot. there was one every night after that.

but there were no chocolates on the pillows, and i missed that.

OP:

If you don't like them (or think they're wasteful), just ask your steward to not make them etc. Who really cares what others think? To each their own...

I went on my first cruise when I was 14 and loved the towel animal (esp the hanging monkey w/ my sunglasses). I thought *I* was the only one getting them too, so that made 'em even more awesome! My dad had to break it to me gently..lol!

I think they're fun!

I enjoy the the towel animals, and would be disappointed if they were not waiting for me when I returned to the cabin. I have not noticed that Extra towels were ever used to make them. It always seemed like the towels that were being replaced were used, and we just unfolded the towel animal and used the towels. We also only had 3 animals on our last 7 day cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
i have more pictures of towel animals than of myself. i love them and i do unfold them and use. it is a part of the whole cruise experience.

DITTO!!

Last year we had our first suite and we sort of played a game with the animals and our cabin steward. Each day we did something different with the animals - i.e. one would be reading a book when we left and when we got back he was watching TV with a new "buddy". The next day we would repeat and they would be joined by another "buddy" and by the end of the cruise our "critters" were having a party complete with drinks, cards etc. My sister called it our own little zoo.

I really hope the cruise lines don't really stop the little things. The mints and animals disginish them from being nothing more than a floating hotel.

I love this story!! I love the little towel animals, too!!!

We had so much fun with the towel animals that my DW insisted that we buy the video on how to make them! (A whole $10.00 I think)

My DW took the video to her business, and has spent weeks with her friends and clients learning how to make them!

Of over 100 movies that she has on hand in the waiting room, the "towel animals" video is the one that is played most often.

Anyone that does not like towel animals is on the same plain as Scrooge! :)

I take my wife's picture with the first night's towel animal. Then she takes my picture with the next night's towel anmial...and so on. The pictures go in our album after we get home from the cruise.

You know...all those pics might make an interesting door poster for the next cruise.

Happy Crusing.

Bon Voyage!

Since I have never had one left in my room so I can start a collection of them, I always assumed that they re-used the towels in the animal for the next night's animal. It's usually there after they clean the room in the morning & new animal is there when they do turn down in the evening. I have never considered that they wash the towel animals daily. The only one they have ever left for more than a day was the elephant that I made during the towel folding demo & brought back to my room. He really was pitiful with a lopsided head, but I did it! :)

Towanda

Another vote for the towel animals:)

The first thing we do is look for the towel animal when we return to the room each evening. Now that we have done so many cruises I often leave out sunglasses, hats and trinkets just to see what our room host will do with them. I have some great photos.

On the last night I thinks its fun to make the host a towel animal holding his or her tip:D. I just leave it on the bed for them to find.

Its always a big surprize for them.

I learned how to make some of them on board plus my son in law use to make them in Vegas for rooms. So he shows me how to do some of them.

Kathy

Next time you are on a cruise, buy one of the "bridge and engine tour" DVD's. After you learn how much recycling is done aboard the ship and how much "waste" energy is recaptured for productive use, you will feel better about the whole idea of cruising as well as the towel animals.

Another vote for the towel animals:)

The first thing we do is look for the towel animal when we return to the room each evening. Now that we have done so many cruises I often leave out sunglasses, hats and trinkets just to see what our room host will do with them. I have some great photos.

On the last night I thinks its fun to make the host a towel animal holding his or her tip:D. I just leave it on the bed for them to find.

Its always a big surprize for them.

I learned how to make some of them on board plus my son in law use to make them in Vegas for rooms. So he shows me how to do some of them.

Kathy

I love this idea!!!

• 2 weeks later...

On the 2nd or 3rd day of our last trip I mentioned to our cabin steward that I liked monkeys and if he could make me a towel monkey in the evening. Not only did he do that, but when I got back to my room I had 6 or 7 swinging from various parts of the room. It was my own little jungle! I loved it and he got a big tip!

So, I imagine, most towel animals end up back in the laundry using soap, water and man power just so we can be amused when we return to our cabins.

I know some cruisers tip extra to their cabin attendant for their extra effort but just give a reasonable tip instead!!!

Rick

I've only been on one cruise, but I could tell it was the same towel(s) used to create each animal.

• 3 weeks later...

Rick

Lets see, towel animals verses: fuel usage, food waste, water waste, ocean contamination no matter how strict the cruise lines try to be, air contamination from smoke stacks, Yep, you're being an old fogie!!

We will be taking our first cruise this summer and we are sooooooooo

looking forward to those little towel critters....Would be so sad not to find them in our room.....I'll be taking pictures and sharing them with our Grandkids know they'll get a kick seeing the pictures.

Like the idea of leaving out some sunglasses and A neckless or two,,, maybe a hat for them to put on the towel critter....What fun....Can't wait......

If we came back in our cabin to find 5-7 monkey's swinging around would be pure delight......Just a Couple Kids At Heart......

Archived